Thread: trophs and cyps

Default trophs and cyps

Still planning out stocking for my new 75, i've found the Tropheus that I want - Tropheus moorii Moliri red.

my jaw hit the floor when I saw them. they will be mine.

so, then I started thinking - how spectacular would the tank look with a colony of those guys look with a school of blue and yellow Cyps floating about?

Can I do a Tropheus colony with a school of Cyps or are the Tropheus just too psychotic for the Cyps? Or are the diets just too different - like the Cyps not being able to handle the strict diet of the Trophs?

But, I'm just thinking, those Tropheus... these Cyps... how awesome would that tank look?

Can I do it or will I just have to imagine it?
    Tiny purple fishes run laughing through your fingers

Freeking awsome!....I'm not sure either about the cyps getting enough protein on hte Tropheus diet (gahd that's a nice color morph)...or if they would survive the fighting....I think some people have used Benthochromis tricoti (sp?) as a "dither" for Tropheus....
    I should use this space to promote the photo contest...but I can't think of anything clever...

that seriously has to be the most awesome looking tropheus ever
    Visit my site for updated pet list and pictures!
    http://www.sitekreator.com/punkypuffer/index.html

Matt...Make sure that that Troph's colors are actualy the Adult coloration....many Tropheus morph quite incredibly....
    I should use this space to promote the photo contest...but I can't think of anything clever...

Ok...I did some checking...It looks like it keeps the red color with a black tail....

Ok...looked into the tricoti...I think they'd be a bit too big for your 75...Hmm.....

aharris is offline Just when you thought it was
    safe to change the water . . . MOD!

Benthos definitely need protein. Benthos are better kept with Fronts as they both have a quiet personality. Cyps are fine with trophs, they'll do ok on the diet. Mine live and spawn mostly on veggie flake. Get the cyps and the activity level in that tank ought to be manic.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbuster

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Ok.

I am SO doing that.

I have so fallen for Tropheus... the other day, I was at the LFS and they had about 50 little duboisi... talk about nuts! they just follow your finger in this huge cloud of polka dots.

this is going to rule!

thanks for the input everyone!
    Tiny purple fishes run laughing through your fingers

Sounds like it's gonna be awsome Matt...Glad someone could give you the thumbs up on the Cyps....Can't wait to see the pics...