Thread: Which Synno

aharris is offline Just when you thought it was
    safe to change the water . . . MOD!

Question Which Synno

I'm looking for a single speciman fish for my Tang/Malawi 55g tank. I'd like something that can adapt to the water conditions, won't bother anybody, but will stick up for itself. I'd also like something not many people will have. I plan on ordering from Armke's so check out their stocklist to see what's available if you want a reference of what I have to choose from.

What would you get?
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbuster

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I keep two Synodontis Angelicus and three Synodontis Lace in my 75 gallon and they hold their own aginst the Mbuna and haps of equal or greater size. I've seen Eruputus(sp) or Occelifer kept by themselves at a friends fish room without probs.

Anybody know anythng about Synodontus frontosus?

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I think I've decided. I'm not going Synno at all. I think I'm going to get some Phyllonemus typus cats instead. They stay small and if I get a pair that breeds (unlikely but you never know), they're bi-parental mouthbrooders. Plus, they're Tanganyikan.

aharris, You probably know this already but there is a great website dedicated to catfish. I usually go there if I am looking for info on them. I'll bet they have plenty of info...www.planetcatfish.com

Cathy
    Good habits are as addictive as bad habits, and a lot more rewarding.

I've been combing that site with a fine-toothed comb. The reason I've decided to go with P. typus is that they do have some care info on the species. A lot of the species on the Cat-E-Log have only pics with none of the pertinents.

You're always welcome to add any information you come across to the profiles in the catelog at PC, not to mention, there are some great catfish of the month articles on different species, including one of the Phyllonemus types, if I remember correctly. I'd be interested in finding some, so yell if you do find a source ;)

Barbie