Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Egg tumbler. Interest

Thumbs up Egg tumbler. Interest

Hi all,

My name is Ryan. I'm new to this site. I am on a few of the others a lot. I just found this one and will be here quite a bit.

I've got a ? for you all. I am thinking of Manufacturing good egg tumblers. Before, I do I am looking for some input from folks in the hobby.

I would like to know if there is interest in a good quality tumbler for $15- 20. I've had some good feedback but, I would like some more.

If you get a minute please let me know if you would be interested in a tumbler or not. If you have suggestions about the tumblers please post them also.. Thanks everyone. I will post a few pics that are close to the ones I will be building...

These pics are of a Labidochromis Mbamba spawn I am currently tumbling.. Day 1,3 and 5

My fish talk to me....

What is providing the circulation in your tumbler?

By the way...you will get more input if you PM a Moderator to move this to the DIY forum
    I should use this space to promote the photo contest...but I can't think of anything clever...

Oh and WELCOME TO THE FORUMS RYAN!!!!
    I should use this space to promote the photo contest...but I can't think of anything clever...

Seedy,

Here is a pic of the entire gizzmo. Mine will be similar. I am working on a better way to attach the egg compartment...

Thanks for the welcome.

Ryan

My fish talk to me....

That looks effective to me!....I think that people who aren't the "DIY" kind would probably be interested in a product like that....just be sure to keep your shipping low as possible....

Shipping would be minimal... The swap meets will be a good place and the auction too. I'll keep you updated on the project..

Ryan
    My fish talk to me....

Ryan....you might consider posting a thread in the Photography forum or the African pic forum showing those fry developing....It would be a handy thread to have here....

Hi....
    I'm new to this forum (got here from searching for "egg tumblers"). Does anyone know if this product was ever made. I looks nice...

Yes a few people make them. The most popular and one of the best made can be found at www.jehmco.com

I have a few and they look a lot like the one in the pictures except they are refined a bit. Where that one in the picture has a metal clip the one from jehmco just has an O-ring. Here is a picture of mine, admittedly not the best picture. I would suggest the O-rings because it makes a nice seal and two of them hold the egg container in place very snuggly. You'd have to sell them for $15 at the most for anyone to be interested I think. The Jehmco ones are $25. Those are Cyphotilapia in the tumbler to give an idea of the size.

I've also got the same suggestion on other forums as well.... so it seems like a safe bet to go with the Jehmco. My only concern is the compartments seems so small & can't hold many eggs. I have a Sc. Fryeri spit out 80 eggs (had eyes & tail, but not free swimming) the other day & lost them all b/c I didn't have an egg tumbler. I don't know if I would've been able to put all them eggs in the Jehmco unit??

Yeah you could fit them. Like I said those eggs are frontosa eggs, so they are huge. I've put over 50 small eggs in their before. I would imagine 100 from the typical malawi mouthbrooder would fit just fine.

If you don't have tumbler another thing you can do is buy a mesh strainer from the grocery store and place it over and airstone. The rising bubbles will create a rising column of water and will tumble them enough when they are wigglers. I would use a traditional tumbler with eggs though, because eggs need more care.

i know alot of people just use a strainer though. and you can pick those up for $4-$5 a piece. they are good for at least frontosa as some eggs are not fertilized and you need to pull them out. its way easier. imo.
    180 gal with:
    13 wc mpimbwe frontosa
    3 geophagus suri's
    1 bristlenose pleco
    1 L66 king tiger pleco

135 gal with:
    4 wc kigoma frontosa 1m-3f
    6 F1 kigoma frontosa
    2 male albino bristenose pleco

29 gal with:
    1m/1f- convicts
    lots o' babys!!!

...I've actually tumbled very young Cyprichromis eggs in a breeder net by putting an air stone under it and placing it in the flow of the filter return...

Sponger is also right on about people using strainers. I suggest the plastic mesh ones and wrap the handles and such in bubble tape for added buoyancy...

I usually let my Kitumbas hold for at least 7 days so I know the ones I pull are fertile. Its a lot easier and less time consuming to let the female do the work for me, IMO. However, if I do have to pull some out of a tumbler/strainer because of fungus or infertile eggs I'll use a piece of airline tubing and just suck on one end a tiny bit to pull the egg in. Airline tubing is the perfect size for cypho eggs, and whether I'm pulling them out of the tumbler or the strainer its usually an equal pain in the butt. I wouldn't say that a strainer is better because there are more limitations. You can put an egg tumbler in your main tank with the parents if you don't have other tank space open at the time.

There are other ways to tumble eggs, as Seedy has mentioned. I've seen a riduclously complex 'water tumbler' that takes up an entire ten gallon tank and uses a beer glass. I guess it all depends on what you find the easiest for you.

I think the important thing in the context of this discussion is that there are many ways to tumble eggs. Making an egg tumbler may not be the best way to make some money if thats what you're after. However, if you just want to help out some local hobbyists that's much more plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by mbuna megaman View Post
    Hi all,

My name is Ryan. I'm new to this site. I am on a few of the others a lot. I just found this one and will be here quite a bit.

I've got a ? for you all. I am thinking of Manufacturing good egg tumblers. Before, I do I am looking for some input from folks in the hobby.

I would like to know if there is interest in a good quality tumbler for $15- 20. I've had some good feedback but, I would like some more.

If you get a minute please let me know if you would be interested in a tumbler or not. If you have suggestions about the tumblers please post them also.. Thanks everyone. I will post a few pics that are close to the ones I will be building...

These pics are of a Labidochromis Mbamba spawn I am currently tumbling.. Day 1,3 and 5

Hi there, Im new to this forum aswell and looking for a good quality egg tumbler for my cichlids. Please email me details: such as size (how many eggs could fit) and other details, such as if i was to buy one off you, how long till i get it here in melbourne, australia? Thankyou.

p.s. my email is [EDIT]
    Last edited by Seedy; 07-26-2009 at 10:43 PM. Reason: removed email to prevent spam