Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: CICHLIDAQUARIST--TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR TANKS (III)

Ok here is what I have been pondering while at the Zoo this weekend...

Build a fish tank that is made of the same spray concrete that they use in zoos for the back and sides. Then get a thick 2" glass front. I am thinking like a 500 - 1000 gallon "tank".

Of course I would have massive Cichlids in them. Perhaps the next house (pref. with a basement). The funny thing is I have a friend that does the concrete work for these zoo displays he is all over the place.

I would imagine the filter would have to be custom. Any links to people who have done this? My insurance adjuster prob. might have some issues....
    http://www.goldendc.com/fishindex.htm

maybe that guy with the 4000 gal reef tank would have some tips for you--i would die for a tank like that.
    one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish...omigod!! a whole lotta fish!!(mbuna tank)

"Ya shark-toothed salmon! Ya hammer-headed halibut!"--Yosemite Sam

"Ah hates dragons. Dragons is so dumb!--Yosemite Sam

Who is that?

Could you imagine having to swim in your tank to clean it?

I think my friend could help me out with a plan. It would be the LAST tank I SWEAR!...ok just practicing for the pitch with the far better half.

www.mr4000.com

I saw a guy with a couple of 1000g malawi tanks, but I can't remember the site. He used concrete with a big piece of glass up front.

It's quite tempting if you have the space.
    Just being for awhile.

Regarding saltwater aquariums...I would love to have one too. The trouble is that I would never be able to pick which fish I wanted. All of the saltwater ones are beautiful.
    I've also heard that they were a pain, but then someone that works in the best fish store in town has three and she says that the key is when you are going to do a water change you prepare the saltwater a couple of days ahead of time and let the water 'cook' for the two days. She keeps a couple of big barrels in the garage for that. She pumps the water into the aquarium with a powerhead and tubing that fits over the end. Of course, when you have had them for a while and are good at it it would be easy huh?
    Sherri

i forgot to mention my bathtub pond in the back yard with a ton of plants for vegetative filtration--a million mosquito fish, 2 female bettas, a pair of paradise fish and a pleco.(plus half a million snails). and about ten fishbowls at work with bettas and dwarf mystery cichlids.
    one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish...omigod!! a whole lotta fish!!(mbuna tank)

Default Introduction

[color=violet:171bb7359c][/color:171bb7359c][color=green:171bb7359c][/color:171bb7359c]
    Hi all,

I live in Melbourne, Australia am 27 yrs old and work full time as a news editor. Also have a partner and 2 lovely kids aged nearly 1 and 4. When not working cichlid keeping is a great way to pass time for me.

Currently i have 2 tanks, first one is 3 ft and has 5 Maingano cichlids in it, they are currently pairing up and digging caves all that courting type stuff. My other tank is 3 ft as well and is cycling at the moment getting ready for the fry. Going to grow them up and sell back to lfs, they are not that common in Australia so are quite sought after.

Maingano ( Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos ) come from Lake Malawi off Likoma island, a small village is there hence the name Maingano. They are mouth brooders and should breed quite easily.

I've also kept and bred Bricardi Neolamprologus, that was cool and they are great parents. Many generations of fry were in the one tank a great first cichlid to breed . Very graceful looking fish.

Any how hi to every one nice to meet you all, look foward to talking and sharing pics with you in time.

Cheers fry.

welcome, maingano! looking forward to talking 'fish' with you.

Maingano,

Any tips on Brichardi for me? I have some nice adult ones that haven't gone into spawning yet.

They bred in my friends tanks, but I fear that I don't have the right stuff.

Default Brichardi

Hi jnorris,

don't worry you will do fine. Just takes a little time. When i got my first pair of Brichardi i thought damn these things are never gonna breed. But they did, one day after i came home from work i noticed about 50 or so tiny fry in the tank. It was very cool.

I had had the pair for approx 2 months before they bred, and once they started they just kept on spawning. But i did notice after about 4 generations of fry were in the one tank the spawns started getting smaller, natures way of keeping the population low.So i suggest you get a grow out tank for the fry after a while. Once you put the fry in another tank the pair will breed again soon and they will have lots of babies. Must say though they are great parents and eventually you'll have a whole tank full of Brichardi.

Getting them to spawn, i fed mine flake food, brine shrimp and a mixture of frozen meat cubes which had extra vitamins in them. Then i kept doing water changes say once every 3 days. then you'll notice them sought of like shivering and quivering in front of one another, like a pre spawn dance. They will start building caves and once this happens you know somethings gonna happen. Main thing i noticed when the pair first bred was that the fe male dissapeared pretty much for about 2 wks, always in the caves and out of site this is a good sign.

Anyhow good luck, and any more specific questions let me know.

Maingano.

Hi Gypsy,

yeah cool look foward to lots of chats.

Maingano.

Ok these are rather silly questions BUT

Are they mouth breeders

if not

what kind of substrate do they like?

Nope there not mouth brooders,

they will lay their eggs somewhere on a rock, usually digging a pit under some rocks and laying them on the under side of the rock which acts as the roof of the cave.

Then they spit them into the pit and watch over them, you wont have to do a thing.

Dont worry as long as you have male and female it will happen.

Maingano.

By the way forgot to say i used just a normal light brown color gravel from the lfs for the substrate, with a normal ug.

Maingano.

I am using crushed corel. I think I am done adding rock now, starting to get concerned with the weight. I have a 90 gallon and the rock (lace and river rock) is piled 3/4 of the way up now (has the reef look)

What do you have your PH at?