Thread: Blue acara tankmates? Yes or no...

Default Blue acara tankmates? Yes or no...

I don't know when yet but I'm going to be setting up my 62g flat-back hex as a white water South American biotope. It's going to be a dirted live plant tank via the walstad method or NPT as most call it. I'm planning on only using amazon swords (exhinodorus amazonicas) and frogbit (limnobium laevigatum). may add some vallisneria (vallisneria americana gigantae) but am unsure at this time. I'm hoping to get it densely planted but not quite a jungle. I did that to my 10g and I could never see the fish, just this eerie feeling I was being watched haha. I'm not really sure if filtration is necessary but to be safe I'm going to add my eheim 2217. It's currently on my 55g RLC tank which is stocked pretty heavy so it should be seeded very well. My apartment always stays around 74-75 degrees so I'm not planning on heating the tank at this point but have heard with some species a sudden increase of water temperature can promote spawning so I will have a heater in the tank, just not plugged in until I know I need it. Stocking right now is only planned for blue acara (aequidens Pulcher) I'm gonna get 5-6 juveniles and wait for them to pair up naturally then return the rest or perhaps auction them at my local club. It's not a huge tank but for 2 6"ish fish it seems a bit big so I was curious if dithers/target fish are necessary? I was thinking some sort of species of tetra, but I fear most the smaller species would get eaten or harassed and I don't personally like the look (or price) of most of the larger species. Then of course I thought catfish! Either 1 or maybe a breeding group of something...but I remember reading that at night they will steal and eat eggs. And I do want my blue acara to breed so that's out. Any other suggestions questions or comments?
    10 gallon - pelvicachromis pulcher, cryptocoryne wendtii, rotala indica, anubias nana.

45 gallon - labidochromis caeruleus, iodotropheus sprengarae, bristlenose plecosthumus, paralabidochromis chromogynos piebald.

Sorry I didn't get to this sooner, I've been working a lot lately and haven't had time to actually log on.

Blue Acaras are not really piscivores, so tetras that are 2-3 inches are perfectly safe. Some of the deeper bodied fish, such as Diamond Tetras, which can get about 3 inches, would be perfectly fine. A very popular and available fish is the Columbian Red and Blue, which can get about 4 inches. I would even consider a group of Serpaes, I don't think Acaras would bother them at full size. Main thing with the Tetras is to get a school of 5-6; as a group they will give predators the impression of a single organism that is too large to eat.

The risk of catfish eating the eggs at night really isn't that big. However, some plecos will turn into egg eaters. Corys are generally less risky, and again, Acaras aren't that likely to try to eat the "normal" sized species. Dwarf species would be at risk.
    Happiness may be the door to Heaven,
    But Pleasure is not the Key.

Thanks chromedome. Since I wrote this post tho I've had 2 things happen 1) my woman doesn't like these fish I guess someone had one and said it was a terror so she said no lol. But she said green terrors are ok because they are "pretty" she's weird. But that's only one of 2 possiblitys right now. I have a guy trying to get me some krobia xinguensis fry in the next month from a. Breeder he knows. I've wanted these fish for a while now so if I. Can ill go with those. But they are known as an "orange head acara" so I'd imagine the temperament would be about the same
    10 gallon - pelvicachromis pulcher, cryptocoryne wendtii, rotala indica, anubias nana.

45 gallon - labidochromis caeruleus, iodotropheus sprengarae, bristlenose plecosthumus, paralabidochromis chromogynos piebald.

A buddy of mine had a few 5"-6" Krobia in a tank about that size with some 2"-3" tetras (sorry don't remember what kind), and it seemed to work very well.
    He didn't have plants though.

I scrapped plants to save money. Gonna just be sand, pea gravel, manzanita branches, a few pieces of slate for breeding sites, and some clay pots

I have 4 adult Blue Acara in a 75 gal bogwood/jungle Val NPT. Its a great tank, go for it. These photos are from just after set up, its grown in a fair bit now.

Blue Acara are awesome. Their colours don't really kick in till they get older, young ones are pretty drab. They aren't really aggressive, a bit, but its mostly for show.

I have only one festivum and a few Congo Tetras as tankmates. I have hard well water (ph 8.5) so most low PH tetras don't do so well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0331.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	22820   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0347.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	22821  

Looks great! Wish I could go planted again and do it right this time but I just don't have the funds

Setting the tank up as NPT is an economical way to go. No fancy lighting, no CO2. You can start growing up some stock with a smaller tank with just a few plants. In no time you'll be have an over abundance.

Well I'd hVe to buy a new light if I did an NPT all I have available for that tank right now is a 36" marineland double bright. Which I couldn't even keep duckweed alive with. Right now to set the tank up unplanted is gonna cost me about $100. To do it planted is like $250+

Do you have a window? Natural sunlight is cheap. Jungle Val can acclimate to low light. I have some in pots in an unlit 20 that is beside the tank in the photos, the plants are growing OK, not spectacularly but OK, in available light.

I have a 90 with swordplants and val in a south window growing with nothing but sunlight, for almost 3 years now. Easiest, cheapest, and best plant growth I've ever had.

I live in a 2nd floor aparent and my girlfriend decided where all the furniture goes. That tank is located where it can get no natural light. If I were to do plants the cheapest I'd be able to do and feel happy about it would be a dual t5HO. I'd rather do LED but for the good plant growth ones its too much money. When I get a house I get a fish room then I'm gonna take my time and do planted tanks and once I have it all figured out I'm gonna try to plant every tank that can be