Thread: How do you tell the sex of a red devil?

Question How do you tell the sex of a red devil?

I have a red devil its about 5-6". I have had hi or her for about 7 months now and i bought him when he was about an inch long. I was wondering if you can tell the sex of the fish externally. Just for added facts it has a very small hump forming of its head, but nothing major. Your replys i hope will be very helpful

Thank you
    Well my cichlid can beat up your cichlid :P

sexing amphilophus labiatum-not an easy task by any means,from research I've done the male will have a more pronounced hump(at maturity)longer finnage(not necessarily pointier as with alot of cichlasoma sp.)also larger in size(again,once mature)venting is a technique I've been resently told about and probibly is the only sure way to sex labiatums,it involves taking fish out of the water and checking out there exo anatomy,the females vent/hole will be slightly larger due to egg laying duties and in most cases will angle slightly towards the rear while the males will be smaller and slightly protrudes straight out,hope this helps you out and good luck.

Thanks rsabatini. I'm going to wait until my red devil becomes larger before i even imagine checking its vent hole. I am also wondering fi there is a major difference in temperment between male and female. My rd is very doctile. My jd practically rules my tank and he is almost half the size of my rd. Anyones knowledge would be helpful.

Thank you
    Well my cichlid can beat up your cichlid :P

No difference in temper that I'm aware of between the two,JD IMO are very underrated in the aggression category,everyone I've owned once out of the juvie stage starts becoming very territorial and intolerant of tankmaters expecially if they are overstocked in a small aquarium(which was a deadly mistake I made a while back)once again in my opinion the only reason why I feel at maturity that RD are more aggressive than JD is because they max out about 4" larger than a mature JD.Size has a huge role to play in aggression.take care

5-6" is the perfect length to vent. You will not want to attempt to vent your fish once it is much bigger. They are really a handful.

Originally posted by Rex Karr
    5-6" is the perfect length to vent. You will not want to attempt to vent your fish once it is much bigger. They are really a handful.
    ... and with big fish it is easy to tell anyway...... Thank goodness!