Thread: Rams and guppies

Default Rams and guppies

I know, I know, not the best combo but here's the deal. I have a 10 gallon tank I'm using to breed snails and recently moved about 4 or 5 juvenile guppies to try and breed them for feeder fish when I get my malawi setup going. I ran into some blue rams at my favorite LFS at lunch today and just couldn't pass them up so I bought a pair to put in the 10 (at least for now). I was going to move the guppies back to their former tank but decided they might act as a dither to make the rams feel a little more comfortable in their new surroundings so I had my wife leave them there. Anyone see a problem with that? If the rams don't like them or they start to multiply too fast, I can always move them. Plus, I was curious if they would chase the guppies. I had a single gold in my 55 and he never bothered anyone. KYle

I don't think the rams will bother them too much. They will occasionally nip, but I doubt they will chase them all the time. It also depends on how many guppies you have in there, if they feel over-crowded they will be more likely to nip. Remember: out of sight out of mind. If there are enough hiding places there won't be any problems. Also, if you have a pretty well planted tank, you probably don't need dithers. My rams are always out in the open.

the benefit of having the guppies in there is to bring your Rams out of hiding more,a smart move,Rams are not really that aggressive unless breeding anyway.