Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lace rock with sugar sized sand concern...

Default lace rock with sugar sized sand concern...

so i set up my sugar sized sand substrate finally in my kenyi's tank. I got some lace rock in there as well. My concern is that my kenyi is maken him self at home, which i was expecting, but with the sand he can remove the sand from under the lace rock - which i noticed today had shifted some of my stackin work! Its not lots of weight of lace rock, but my concerns are that he might cause a collapse possibly hurting himself and that the rock my hit the glass and break it!

What would you do?

Im getting somemore lace rock today from a friend so there's going to be even more weight. Ive got some slate that i could bury below the sand, i just want every thing to look nice like it does already without any casualities.

Pics in a bit perhaps...

Move the sand and set the lace rock on the bottom glass, shift sand back.
    The photocontest, like everything else is behind schedule. You get some links back today.

My experience with Africans has been they love to dig. My Kenyii were terrible about it.

Had you thought about putting some of the egg crate material under the sand to spread out your rockworks weight and give it a firmer footing?

They sell it at Home Depot as a lighting product....a plastic grill. I have a pic of it in my post in the DIY area. (my first attempt at a sump....revised)

Good Luck!

He's beautiful.

Tank's nice too. Love the Pseudotropheus Lombardi though. (I think that's what he is?)

I call em Kenyii!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KeithD 279.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	20819

Current setup... 4 years later. Bad Quality, i know 75gallon this time.

nice looking fish! I just know I cant have any because they are just too dang aggressive for me and limits what I can put with them. I noticed in your pics you had a LOT of sand in there. was everything moved from the back to the front or si there that much pretty much all around? I personally move the sand out of the way and put the rock on bare bottom and move the sand back around all the rock so that way they cant get under the rocks at all. I would do eggcrate except there have been some people saying that using egg crate with sand creates dead pockets and they can be quite hazardoes to your fish if it were released. I dont know how much merit I would put into this but it kind of does make sense. You also could always get a water proof epoxy that is safe for aquariums and glue your rocks together so you dont risk a tumble. Lace rock and texas holey rock are great because they do a good job locking together and stays sturdy rather than river rock.

Egg crates work for some but I would t recommend them for African cichlids seeing as how messy they are. It traps excess waste under the crates and creates ammonia pockets that can and eventually will be detrimental to them. Like above comments put rocks on bare glass and cover back.
    Personally I like a lot of sand. It seems the more sand the happier they are and makes them feel at home. Less sand starts to show the bottom glass which can look kind of tacky. Awesome looking cichlid and good luck.
    125g- Labidochromis caerulous, Sciaenochromis fryeri Maleri Island, Protomelas Taeniolatus Male, Cynotilapia Sp. Gallireya Reef (White Top Hara) W/C + F1

40g- Oblique zebras

20g long- ocellatus "gold", calvus "white" Chaitika

Quote Originally Posted by dehn View Post
    He's beautiful.

Tank's nice too. Love the Pseudotropheus Lombardi though. (I think that's what he is?)

I call em Kenyii!

Metriaclima!* And lombardoi!

*or Maylandia. There was/is debate as to what genus name is used.

Beautiful male there, OP. I tend to just let the rocks sit on the bottom, and shift the sand up so they're able to dig around with out the risk of toppling rocks.

A little bit better quality pics (T3i) I need my tripod and some pointers.

Name:	Fishaug3rd2012 020.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	20828

Name:	Fishaug3rd2012 027.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	20829

Name:	Fishaug3rd2012 005.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	20830
    Last edited by meangreen; 08-06-2012 at 08:52 AM.

I did use a bit of egg crate and the sand is all around. I will have to look into the dead pocket concern. I would never glue the rock together because the weight is more than enough to keep it stable and I re-stack and rearrange semifreq. Plus if you ever have to catch any of the cichlids, you pretty much have to start taking out the rocks. There are a few bigger rocks that touch the bottom and the rest either rest on them or the sand...

I got diy sump made with a 20gal but id like to convert the old 30gal from the top of this thread into a better multi baffle sump with refugium area... I've already build an auto-top-off switch that i hope to incorporate with the updated sump some day in the unknown future...

Nice lava rock usage. That's what I'm using in mine. You may invest in a power head to blow any waste that stacks up from behind those rocks if you haven't already. That's the biggest cOncern with the egg crates, the waste will build up around the bottom of the rocks in the back by the glass, once it gets mixed with he sand is where the pockets come into play.
    125g- Labidochromis caerulous, Sciaenochromis fryeri Maleri Island, Protomelas Taeniolatus Male, Cynotilapia Sp. Gallireya Reef (White Top Hara) W/C + F1

40g- Oblique zebras

I need to get rid of the auratus...

Holy crap that a ton of rock. We're those mostly bumble bees? I think I only say the one auratus right?

40g- Oblique zebras

There are 3 auratus... I think one is fem(yellow) and the other two are male(silverblue).. There was 1 more male but he just passed... I had more acei too but the auratus killed them off.. The bumble bees were from a breeding pair i had for a while. There is one large bumble bee that survived from my previous selection... I had shut down my sump to feed my tank one afternoon, and forgot to turn it back on. The next day when i arrived at work, i discovered my mistake. Most of my juvi bb's survived, but almost all my larger stock died off - i had lots of big cichlids... I added air to the tank after that for insurance against any more accident like this. :/