Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stocking 29g planted tank

Hey Chromedome, good call on the hardness, didn't really put 2 and 2 together earlier, I know my well water out the tap, is hard enough to walk on, damn near literally. Also has a very high iron content.

Just the man I was about to message! I'll add the pic to imgur then and relink it for now...

Ok question, in your honest opinion, is it worth it? Yes I can take a couple gallon jugs a day to work and fill them up while everyone is gone, but that would be me needing at least 10-15 gallons a week for water changes. My main concern with this would be trying to keep track of all the water changes and how that will affect the chemistry if I ever needed to do a top off with my own water. I think we have had it checked for the toxic metals (we've lived here for about 10+ yrs) Rain water I could probably do with setting up buckets since it is FL and rains practically every day lol.

I'll be honest and say I really enjoyed the apistos (for the short time I've had them) but I have also considered just switching back to saulosi and get a quad with the sand and rock scape again, or just sticking with the plants, shrimp, and maybe snails (I have a feeling we have trace copper in our water so this might be a no go). I mean at least with the plants I'll get the science side of it with the CO2 and ferts, but I still want fish. I'm not a fan of livebearers, but that might be the only other option for me Dx

And if you just so happen to feel that it is worth it, I'm just throwing this out here since I only found these guys today and I'm at work at the moment >> but what are your thoughts on the Apisto. viejita? I just saw a pair on Aquabid before I headed out, that's why I was asking, or should I stick with the cacatuoides?

EDIT:
    Ok this may be a stupid question, but how do you test for the hardness and the traces?

EDIT EDIT:
    I guess there is a time frame from when you can edit posts so I'm putting the new pic here instead! I got a bunch of plants from aquabid (I can't remember them all and don't think some were what was advertised) I had a bit die out and a bit I just didn't like so it's thinned quite a bit.

With all the plants:
    Now :
    Last edited by AmayaOkami; 09-12-2016 at 03:16 PM. Reason: added
    ~Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning how to dance in the rain~

there are several test kits for hardness out there. Walmart, pool supply stores, etc carry them. as for the traces depends on what you are wanting to test for.

Alright cool, I'll look into getting one! I just had the cheap strips that just said "moderately hard" lol I added pics to the last post, and sorry for the bad quality, it was on my phone real quick. I know I need to get a testing kit soon for at least iron, potassium, and phosphate since I'm going to start dosing ferts, so are there any other elements I should look into testing for?

I just need to hurry up and get my house built so I can just work on my 125 dream mbuna tank for it! Then I won't have to worry about all this crap XD
    ~Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning how to dance in the rain~

other than the usual.....pH, amm, nitrite, nitrate I think you got it covered, with dosing ferts, again, I really have no experience in planted tanks, I'd think nitrates would be a big one to watch, but plants eat nitrates. I'm so confused

OK! So just got off work and my kits came in and according to them... My KH is about a 6 so ~100ppm buuuuuuuuuut my GH was like an 11 or ~200ppm. So in a scale of 1-totally, how screwed am I?

And I got kits to measure copper levels (because I want snails surprisingly) and phosphate (because of my ferts) I can't remember if there is a K or not. I also got an iron kit as well just to check it out since I got chelated iron for the plants as well

EDIT: On the plus side I still have 1 female apistogramma cacatuoides swimming around and 2 Neons. I'll give it another week or two before I consider getting any more to try again. I'm gonna focus on my bulbs and spider wood and scaping until then
    Last edited by AmayaOkami; 09-14-2016 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Added

Ok so I've decided on a complete overhaul. After testing a few different theories, I think the dolls might have been causing an issue with the water as well since after about a week of taking them out everything seems to have suddenly flourished. I'm still not completely finished with it, as I still have a few more bulbs coming, but I think it is getting better. Somehow 2 neons are still alive, as is my lone female apisto. I also have about 5 shrimp that are still around. I got pissy when I couldn't find any the other day, but turned out they were all hiding under one of the moss balls. >< I'm going to wait another week or two before trying to get anymore fish. I have 3 snails coming the end of this month, though I'm now a little worried as all of a sudden there are now three already in the tank and they have cleaned the whole place. I'm impressed considering they are only about the size of a nail head.

Updated full tank shot (ignore the little guy hanging out front >> I forgot to move him)

I picked up a bit of Staurogyne repens on sale. I think I'll have to move it all a bit closer together, but I didn't have the time since I was supposed to have left for work when I got the package...

Ok I know this isn't the best picture, but I got a few bulbs of aponogeton madagascariensis for less than 10$ so I figured I'd go and give them a try. I wasn't really expecting much, but after planting them in the substrate they grew this much over night! I'm hoping they can hold up at least enough to fill out the empty space.

I have a couple of aponogeton undulates coming as well for the other side of the tank. As things are dying off I'm taking them out and just replacing them with bulbs since that seems to be the main thing I can grow lol. I've started dosing with the PPS Pro kit today and will keep an eye out to see how well that does. I need to figure out a decent schedule on dosing while making sure it still works without hurting the fish anymore than I already have.

I also need to cave and get a black background since the that one isn't anything like what I was expecting and now that the algae is gone and it can be seen I really need to fix it!

After doing a few tests with the API test kit I found that on the kH scale mine is at a 6, whereas the gH scale is at an 11... >> Miiiiiiiiight end up being a problem, but I'm not all that sure

Nice! Assuming those plants prosper that is going to be a densely planted! Not sure if you mentioned it somewhere, but may I inquire as to what you are using for lighting? Also, I am curious about the PPS Pro kit; with that do you still need (or plan) to dose with CO2 or does it take care of it? I did a quick google on it but didn't really see any indication on that front...
    Last edited by DogWalker; 09-18-2016 at 09:06 PM. Reason: spelling

I'm using the Finnex Planted+ 30in for the light, I didn't find out about the 24/7 until after I dropped the 100$ on the light lol. I've been hit or miss with the plants so far, but I'm pretty confident on these bulbs and the repens. I'm going low tech for now, and depending on the kind of plants you pick (found out the hard way) CO2 isn't that big of an issue, your growth will just be slower. The PPS Pro doesn't provide carbon just potassium, nitrogen, magnesium, and some trace minerals, so I've been dosing with Excel for the carbon replacement and have an eye on a 50$ DIY CO2 kit for when I finally get everything settled. It is all still Greek to me so I've been avoiding the higher tech side of planted tanks.

I lost the baby tears that my shrimp and apisto seemed to really like, so I'm hoping the repens is a decent replacement. They are supposed to be good in low light low tech tanks since most "carpets" need the high end rigs.

Looking good Amaya, really good

Updated tank picture:

I've been soaking the spider wood for about 2weeks and tied my java fern Windelov to them to get them higher off the substrate and more into the water column. I've tossed out a few more plants that I just wasn't feeling and planted 6 Aponogeton ulvaceus in the back right corner.

I've been dosing ferts all week and have seen NO MORE DEATHS! I can only conclude it was the killer dolls. I HAVE seen a pretty big spike in growth rates considering I'm not injecting Co2. Some of which being a sudden boom in snails... I have about 3 that are a decent size and about 100 micro babies all over the place. So I've decided in going to try out some dwarf puffers. My lfs has some for about 4$ a piece. They are pure freshwater, only get about an inch long and LOVE snails. There is a lot of mixed feelings I'm finding online about them with other fish, so I'm going to try to see how they get along with another quad of apistos. If they don't work out I have a 15g column tank I originally got for my mom I can turn into a puffer tank since she is wanting something smaller for her seahorses.

Updated picture of my Madagascar lace:
    Last edited by AmayaOkami; 09-24-2016 at 09:27 AM.

Looks like you got it going on very nicely, keep the pics coming and def. keep up the good work

My new babies! My female apisto isn't as excited as I am. She's not happy sharing her tank, but a bit of blood worms has EVERYONE happy!

Look! The littlest one is smaller than my shrimp! Yet already got its jaws on a few baby snails. I've got another quad of apistos coming this week. I'm hoping that with all of them being new it'll prevent any territory disputes for a while and it'll have enough fish to hopefully calm down the pissy female

OK well I got more apistos today. I now have 3 females and 2 males. One of the males I don't really care for to be honest. His red is very weak and he just has a different look to him. Not sure if a wild or what, but there is a good chance he will be getting rehomed. I don't have pics of them yet as I'm keeping the lights off for today. The 2 puffers are doing great and are now coming to the front of the tank every morning when I turn on the lights. I just hope that with everyone still new, it'll help keep things calmer for a bit.

Stocking is as follows:
    5 apistogramma cacatuoides (2m/3f)
    2 dwarf puffers (unsure of sex at this time)
    2 Neons
    ~5 neon yellow shrimp.

I may try to add a few more Neons later on since they are schooling fish, but I'm not sure. Other than that I think I am fully stocked, unless anyone has any more ideas.
    For cleaners I am sticking with shrimp and snails (for the puffers) even though I finally found some otos near me ><

Another update just cuz I'm all excited to be back in the hobby again <3 And fair warning, this is a picture heavy post!

Ok so I had ordered 3 purple like a month ago, but they've been on backorder. Well apparently they arrived today, of course after I had already left for work >< Luckily there was someone at the house to pick them up for me. Turned out they sent me 4 snails and because of the delay, I got 2 more neon yellow shrimp for free!

This is one of them with one of my new female apistos. They are lighter than my older female, but I'm wondering if that is just because they are still so new.

Here are two more with one of my puffers. They are WAY bigger than they are so hopefully the little puffer piggies will leave them alone and stick to the million and two pond snail eggs and babies ><

Here is my baby puffer (sorry about the crappy picture, my phone sucks with macro shots) When I first got him his belly was SUPER concaved and I was worried he wouldn't make it, but as you can see he's plumping up nicely. It's either the frozen bloodworms or the buffet of snails in there.

This is my bigger puffer. He's all nice and fat and round. Just look at that belly! So far everyone is getting alone ok. My older female still tends to chase them around, but they like to hang out together and so far are keeping to themselves. I'm hoping they stay this passive Or else I'll be setting up a new tank in my bathroom just to keep them!

Here is another one of my new females. They are all more on the gray side whereas my older female is more brown. I got them all from the same place so not sure if it is because they have only been in here for ~24hr or if it is a different line or if I am just being WAY too paranoid. They just look different...

Ok this is a really good one to see the difference between my older apisto and my newer ones. See how much darker/browner she is? Is this normal? (I feel like such a noob again) This is the male I like and will be keeping, and it looks like he made quick friends with the bitchy original female. These two are constantly together and I think they have already claimed that driftwood cave in the background. They are already dancing for each other ><

Now this guy has me worried. This is the one I didn't care for while I was floating the bags. I like to call him Lenny. The first day he was kinda checking everything out but today he is just laying there. He's still breathing and will move if he is being bothered by the other fish, but even then he just swims to the other side and lays back down. I'm worried he's sick and will infect my other guys, but so far he is the only one affected. Anyone have any ideas what is going on?

And last but not least this is my little Flash Gordon. He's up and active and already seems to be working on claiming a cave and dancing for the girls. I'm really hoping they don't spawn just yet and tear the whole place apart, but then again I'm happy if they just live this time...