Thread: It's Been A Long Time

Default It's Been A Long Time

It's been a very long time since I have been on here. I retired from the Army now almost 2 years ago. Had to give up the hobby while I was going threw a divorce almost 3 years ago now but it's definitely time to get back into the hobby. Over the next several months I wI'll be setting up a high number of breeding and show tanks. Will be doing a lot of my own breeding and hopefully getting some high quality fish back out to many hobbiest in the area. I have moved back to North Carolina now and enjoying being retired from the Army. I do miss it but now it's time for a new chapter in my life and time to bring back this amazing hobby back into this chapter.
    10gal - F1 Aul sp Lwanda Fry
    20gal - F1 Aul Flavescent (Recovering)
    20gal - Cyno Zebroides Chimate Fry
    29gal - Multis
    50gal - WC Aul Lwanda Breeding Group 1m/3f
    50gal - BNP fry, Cyno sp Lion Fry
    55gal - Met OB Blueberry Zebra Slim, Cyno Zebroides Chimate, Cyno sp Lion "Lions Cove"
    72gal - Bemba Flame Tropheus, Simichromis Babaulti
    125gal - All Male Hap/Peacock Tank

http://www.riftfish.com

Also looking for any local hobbiest in North Carolina
    10gal - F1 Aul sp Lwanda Fry
    20gal - F1 Aul Flavescent (Recovering)
    20gal - Cyno Zebroides Chimate Fry
    29gal - Multis
    50gal - WC Aul Lwanda Breeding Group 1m/3f
    50gal - BNP fry, Cyno sp Lion Fry
    55gal - Met OB Blueberry Zebra Slim, Cyno Zebroides Chimate, Cyno sp Lion "Lions Cove"
    72gal - Bemba Flame Tropheus, Simichromis Babaulti
    125gal - All Male Hap/Peacock Tank

http://www.riftfish.com

Good Luck. I believe there is a large general club in Raleigh, they have a big event every spring, with a lot of native fish hobbyists that attend. Probably your best bet.

Sorry to say, the CF is rather dead. No posts for months, I only swing through once a week, and these are the first posts I've seen in a very long time.
    Happiness may be the door to Heaven,
    But Pleasure is not the Key.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromedome View Post
    Good Luck. I believe there is a large general club in Raleigh, they have a big event every spring, with a lot of native fish hobbyists that attend. Probably your best bet.

Sorry to say, the CF is rather dead. No posts for months, I only swing through once a week, and these are the first posts I've seen in a very long time.
    I know, what happened

A number of reasons, imho.

I believe many of the old members moved on to other priorities in life, or else "life got in the way". For a period it seemed we had a rash of hotheads join who would band together to shout down anyone who didn't agree with their self-declared "expert" views, and they had nowhere near the experience level they tried to pretend. By then most of the mod community had melted away though, so there wasn't enough oversight to stay on top of that nonsense (notwithstanding some valiant smackdowns from veteran hobbyists such as yourselves, Robert and Chrome). I'm guessing that slightly toxic atmosphere helped discourage much of the rest of the membership from participating anymore.

Beyond that, the lack of an active mod community itself was to blame I think, as previously their regular participation and assistance went a long way towards encouraging other members to join, ask questions, and share their experiences and issues. I believe I was one of the last mods appointed, and am as guilty as any there.

We've had only one communication from our dear friend and site administrator in years. All I know and will say is that it sounds like events truly beyond his control have taken him out of this hobby, for a prolonged period at least. Beyond his valued fishkeeping knowledge and personal input we are also missing the technical support skills he spent so much of his time generously contributing to the forum, to develop the site further, to keep the software up-to-date, to maintain anti-spam measures, and to do other programming and technical chores. That was a lot for one person to handle. The chatroom has been broken pretty much since the conversion to the current forum software engine - ages ago. I also noticed that now for some reason posts from new members seem to go into a 'moderated' bucket - meaning no one sees their posts until a moderator confirms their membership registration (by approving their 1st post). I may not be describing this mechanism perfectly accurately, but the net effect seems to be that with no more mods around no new members can participate. I tried to take care of some of that for awhile, but it just came to seem hopelessly pointless as fewer and fewer people were responding to the posts anyhow - and I just got too busy with my own life to stay on top of it all the time. And with the administrator unavailable, no new mods have been appointed... Enough excuses anyhow, it is what it is.

Throw in one more factor (and I may be reaching here): I believe the hobby itself is somewhat on the decline. Around my city at least the most notable lfs have all closed in the past several years. Only PetSmart and a few smaller lfs remain, and this is a large metropolitan area. A sign of the times perhaps? More and more people confining their leisure activities to the virtual world instead of the physical? Dunno, just a guess... this would not be the driving reason for the decline of this particular forum (as other forums are undoubtedly still going) but it wouldn't help.

Wish things had turned out differently, this was a really good forum for a long time. Honestly I'm not even sure how the site has stayed up this long - I imagine there must be bills to pay for it.
    Last edited by DogWalker; 06-26-2016 at 08:44 PM.

Guys, for what it's worth I've gone through the boards and approved all the posts in "Moderated" status (well, all the ones that seemed legit anyhow). It was slow as the "Approve" function seems to run or a long time. You may now see a bunch of "new" threads, pretty much all of which are stale (though some are at least from within the past couple of months). Should you choose to respond to any of these regardless by all means go ahead. My intent in approving them however was really so that if the authors did choose to post here again their posts would show up, and not be held up in "Moderated" status.

For the next while I will endeavor to log on and go through the boards a few times a week looking for any more posts from new members in Moderated status and let them in (if the posts seem relevant & legit). I don't know if that will be enough to breathe some life back into the place; perhaps not but we'll see. If things do liven up then I'll keep doing that.

Thanks DogWalker, I'll try to pop in more often myself. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I suspect that some of the troublemakers came here to make this forum look bad so that people would go to the only other popular Cichlid forum. I suspect this because one of them commented there about us.

The fact that one cannot attach photos to the posts here any more is also a problem. They have to be put in the Gallery and imported from there. Direct attachments were one of the advantages here over that other forum, which is still operating in the last century.

I still check in every week or two. When you don't see anything, it's rather hard to work up any enthusiasm.
    Happiness may be the door to Heaven,
    But Pleasure is not the Key.

I dropped out because I stopped keeping fish. I've had a ton of health issues over the last few years, including three surgeries last year. The economy is kicking my butt and I'll assume it's damaging the hobby as well since the economy effects everything. I used to travel cross country for fish conventions, now I won't drive cross town for one. The local scene turned me off as well. It was a microcosm of what you see on the internet, only the faceless a-holes you run into are actually people you know so you get kind of tired of dealing with it. Eventually it just wasn't worth the trouble. I know several former hobbyists here, guys that were heavily involved in fishkeeping that don't have a single tank now. One got married and has child on the way and another got divorced and is a single parent. Life gets in the way.
    Just being for awhile.

What jonah said. Crazyfishlady and I currently have one tank, dry and in storage, waiting for the day when there's enough time to get back in. We have a couple of preschoolers who are currently taking all of our time and hobby funds. Hopefully, this place will survive until life allows for the hobby again for us.
    Luckiest guy on the planet.

I have two tanks left the 125g 1 Fossochromis, 1 Synodontis Angelicus, and three orange head blue bodied pseudos I think......lol and 55g full of julies that cull themselves. I haven't done the hobby since truck driving. Come by to pay my condolences to Rusty who was becoming a good facebook friend seems we had a lot in common.
    Later, Boilermaker