Thread: African to American

Question African to American

I have been keeping Africans for the past 8 years and can't imagine not having an African Cichlid tank. I'm going to buy a new tank this weekend and I have almost decided to go with American Cichlids for the new tank. Still need to decide if I'm getting a 125 gallon or the 240.

Any tips would be helpful. How much difference should I expect between Africans and American? Am I seeing correctly that many of the American Cichlids grow a lot larger than the Africans do?

So far the only things I have planned is that for substrate I would like to go with sand and will be running at least one Fluval FX6 and may add my spare Marineland C360 and a spare circulation pump.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you are willing to share.
    Jeff

Well, I'm guessing the lack of replies means either that the forum does not have frequent traffic or people don't have the knowledge to offer support. can someone at least point me to a forum where my interest can be addresse please? I'm planning to purchase my new tank this weekend and hope to have enough info to choose the right stock.
    Jeff

Unfortunately, this forum has very little traffic these days, it is almost completely dead. That is a sad fact, as it was once a really great and busy forum. I'm not sure why everyone deserted, I'd guess it was a sort of a death spiral.

There are a lot of people on cichlid-forum, and they love to give advice, though it's not always the best, IMO. They seem to be really stuck on understocking, especially when it comes to New World Cichlids. Overall, sand is a good choice for substrate, and there are a lot of medium size species if you do the research first. As far as tank size, I always go with the biggest one I can afford, just on principle.
    Happiness may be the door to Heaven,
    But Pleasure is not the Key.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromedome View Post
    Unfortunately, this forum has very little traffic these days, it is almost completely dead. That is a sad fact, as it was once a really great and busy forum. I'm not sure why everyone deserted, I'd guess it was a sort of a death spiral.

There are a lot of people on cichlid-forum, and they love to give advice, though it's not always the best, IMO. They seem to be really stuck on understocking, especially when it comes to New World Cichlids. Overall, sand is a good choice for substrate, and there are a lot of medium size species if you do the research first. As far as tank size, I always go with the biggest one I can afford, just on principle.
    I agree on all Chrome said, I check in now and then, but nothing new appears, I guess social media is really slamming some forums. I miss what we had here.