Thread: H. Burtoni 1 1/4" fry holding eggs?

Default H. Burtoni 1 1/4" fry holding eggs?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  157 Bytes
    Is it possible? I saw two pale yellow balls inside it's mouth - at such size, I estimate it could only fit about ten of them in it's mouth. Of course, once I had a camera, it wouldn't give me another look.

Sure looks like she is holding. This is a very prolific species. Way back when I had them each female would produce maybe 15 to 20 fry every 6 weeks. The females hardly ever had a chance to fully recuperate from the last batch.

Kevin

Oops. The first moderating thing I've done in a long time and I've messed it up. Didn't mean to delete ocdreamin's other two posts.

Burtoni is not Victorian it is from near Lake Tanganyika so I moved it.

I bought them post-auction from an aquabid user. It was listed under Vic's. Ruziba was in the description, following the species name. As Ruziba, I found, is inland Burundi, I assume it was collected in a stream. Burundi is ON Tanganyika, but not too far from Victoria.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplochromis_burtoni

"It is found in Burundi, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Zambia.

Its natural habitats are rivers, intermittent rivers, swamps, freshwater lakes, freshwater marshes, intermittent freshwater marshes, and inland deltas."

So, if the trade calls it a Tang, that's interesting. It looks like a Vic (smells like a Vic? quacks like a Vic? Haha). All of it's Astotilapia relatives are said to be from Tanganyika and northward, even as far as Israel.
    Thanks for the feedback. These guys are SUPER active. I love watching them. They're always hungry and look like they want to stab me if I'm just there to look and not feed. Haha. I'd show you what I mean, but they're pretty camera shy. *shrug*