Thread: Thoughts on oak or almond leaves

Default Thoughts on oak or almond leaves

I have more then a few Geophagus tanks going at the moment. My water is well water which is 8.0pH and very hard. I have plenty of driftwood in the tanks but have been thinking about adding leaves to lower pH and soften the water a bit more. I'm not fond of the chemical buffers. Has anyone used or currently using leaves and what's your thoughts and results?

They don't soften the water much, but unless your KH is really high, they should bring down the pH. I have seen Oak leaves used to great effect. I tried some of the Indian almond leaves once, and every time I used them, the fish in the tank did poorly and eventually died. However, I may have gotten a bad batch of leaves, if that is possible (perhaps aerosol chemicals got on them?). Most other people say they work fine for them.
    Happiness may be the door to Heaven,
    But Pleasure is not the Key.

That's good to know. I live in the Midwest US so oak trees are abundant. I'm sure come next fall ill be giving it a shot. Thanks for the info

I use oak leaves, and oak roots in one of my tanks for some wild dwarf Pike cichlids that come from very acid water. They do work. My biggest concern is what happens with a water change. If you add your tap water directly to the tank it will raise the PH right back up. You will need to treat the water prior to adding to your tank or you will have PH swings with each change. My water is pretty soft out of my tap, but its still not soft or acidic enough. For this tank is use DI water. I heat the water in a separate barrel. I also have big oak logs and oak leaves in the barrel in order to get the PH down. I do all this for a 40 gallon tank. I don't think I would do this if I had more than one tank. If your fish aren't wild caught I don't think you need to go crazy with lower the PH.

Here is a 90 gallon tank. That I had set up for my Geos.

http://www.cichlidforums.com/showthr...ank&highlight=

I use Indian almond leaves in my Angel/corey catfish tank. They seem to help lower the PH a bit in the tank from what I can tell. Been using them for about 3 months and no problems with them at all. Only thing I don;t like is they do deteriorate a tad faster than I would like them too. Seems I am adding new ones on average of every few weeks.

Yeah see I have 5 tanks 55g and up with mostly wild caught Geophagus species. They do fine in my water and have actually spawned as well (the G. RH Tapajos). I would just like to lower the pH a bit and soften the water without having huge pH swings. That will kill my fish I'm afraid of. And I can't really pretreat my water because of the amount needed.

How much do the leaves lower your pH? Probably not much I would guess. Just wanna get it around 7-7.5 is my goal