Thread: Injured wound on mbuna. white fuzz. fungus? help!

Default Injured wound on mbuna. white fuzz. fungus? help!

Hi,

I have an injured mumba from an attack. I have had him in my QT tank for the last 2 days and have been treating with melafix. A friend spotted him laying down in the sand in my mbuna tank. He wasnt moving much when i put him in my QT tank, but now he is moving better. His fins are all messed up so he is not swimming well. He is not eating. My main concern is that he has a huge bite on the top of his head. It keeps getting nastier and has developed a white fuzz on the would? Is this fungus or part of the healing process? How should I go about this? If i need salt, what kind of salt and what dosage? I have a 10 gallon qt tank. Water changes? Please look at the pics. Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	23754

Name:	unnamed2.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	23755

Name:	unnamed3.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	23756
    60 gallon all male mbuna tank: [I]1x Labidochromis sp. "Hongi", 1x Labidochromis caeruleus, 1x Metriaclima sp "Zebra Blue", 1x Metriaclima estherae OB, 1x Metriaclima greshakei, 1x Metriaclima greshakei albino, 1x Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei", 1x Pseudotropheus sp. "Elongatus Ornatus", 1x Melanochromis Maingano, 1x Labeotropheus fuelleborni, 1x unidentified mbuna, 1x Synodontis eruptus, 1x juliochromis transcriptus

20 gallon community tank: 1 pair Kribensis and 5 Long finned Serpae Tetras.

You need to treat him. Try some salt (NaCl). Table salt, kosher salt or aquarium salt will do. A tablespoon or two will do. Daily water changes will help. Make sure to match ph and temp. I would also have a fungus medicine ready to go. Offer him a very small amount of food. If he doesn't eat it, remove it. Don't let it rot in the tank. If after a few days the fish starts to heal and doesn't eat. I would treat with some metronidazole.

OK. Thanks much for the info!
    60 gallon all male mbuna tank: [I]1x Labidochromis sp. "Hongi", 1x Labidochromis caeruleus, 1x Metriaclima sp "Zebra Blue", 1x Metriaclima estherae OB, 1x Metriaclima greshakei, 1x Metriaclima greshakei albino, 1x Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei", 1x Pseudotropheus sp. "Elongatus Ornatus", 1x Melanochromis Maingano, 1x Labeotropheus fuelleborni, 1x unidentified mbuna, 1x Synodontis eruptus, 1x juliochromis transcriptus

Also, how often should I add salt? Should I do a water change every day?

I would change about 20-25% daily. You should add salt with each water change. Not nearly as much as you did initially. Just enough to keep the levels the same as you started. Fresh water is great for fish. Just make sure to match ph and temp.

Thanks for your help. I am treating with salt now. I have a bottle of Primafix on deck. When should I consider using that? He looks about the same today but he is moving around more and more, which is good. Still not eating. Sorry for all of the questions, as long as I have been doing this I've never had fungus come from a wound on a fish. Thanks.

CORRECTION: he is eating now!!!

That's good News. He should recover. Just keep an eye on him and feed him a little at a time. primafix wont hurt as well.