Thread: Breeding season, again

Default Breeding season, again

Yesterday I went down to the fishroom, and as usual all the fish in the 90 ran up to greet me - except for the Caquetaia spectabilis. They had been acting lovey-dovey for a couple of days, so when they failed to come begging, I knew where to look:

Today she is running the male out, he's supposed to guard the area and is doing a fine job of keeping the Geos at the far end of the tank.

Then today I noticed some very bright colors in the Cryptoheros nanoluteus tank. A closer look revealed this:

These were half inch fry when I bought them at GCCA. The bag was supposedly holding 8 fry, but there were only seven fish in it, and one of them was a dead Corydoras fry. Since then I lost one more due to bad choice of tankmates. This is the first spawn; I will try to isolate the pair for better batches in the future.

Neither spawn is particularly large for the species. The big front that went through a few days ago apparently had some effect on the fish. A good one, for me!
    Happiness may be the door to Heaven,
    But Pleasure is not the Key.

Congrats on the spawns! Wouldn't have thought weather outside would have any effect of the sort on fish in an indoor aquarium... unless perhaps the slight drop in barometric pressure is a trigger?

I can provide massive anecdotal reports of spawns occurring with or shortly after big barometric changes. I try to watch for these things on the weather channel and feed up the fish good before it arrives, but this last one I was not paying attention; it snuck up on me.

Well, today there is a small pile of wigglers in the bottom of the big flowerpot with the spectabilis. The parents are a little more active as well, both running in and out of the pot. Eventually I'm sure they'll move them to a pit somewhere.

I wish they had spawned a month or two back, then I'd have them for OCA (I registered last weekend, and reserved a room this week). As it is, I'll have sajica, Mixteco Gold, Ctenochromis, and some angelfish. Maybe even take some non-cichlids.

I had to remove the six Geo Red Head from the 90 yesterday. The pair had them all shoved up into the corner together so that the fry could come out and play.

Congratulations on the spawns! Wish some of my fish would spawn.

But I have been neglecting them lately. No water changes and no blackworms does not a spawning pair make!

The Retroculus I got from you are doing quite well though. The larger one is very colorful.

Andy

Bad news, the male spectabilis de-scaled the female, and she died. I removed most of the fry to another tank, but the half dozen or so that I couldn't catch are still swimming around in the 90. If I had known he was going to do this, I would have kept the Geos. I guess now I'll move him to a smaller tank and use the big tank to grow out some other fish, such as the Heros sp. "Inirida". I have some other stuff that could go in there with them.

I also moved the Cryptoheros nanoluteus into another tank to see if they can manage to raise a brood. I'm pretty sure she has wigglers at the moment, her color is very yellow!