Thread: Ctenochromis horei - finally!

Default Ctenochromis horei - finally!

I know, you're wondering what Chromedome is doing over here in the Tang section. Well, one of the few Tanganyikan Cichlids that I have always wanted to breed is Ctenochromis horei, an unusual looking Hap type. Unfortunately, these things are as scarce as hen's teeth. I had a small pair many years ago, when it was still believed that you could spawn Haps in pairs. (Yes, that long ago!) Of course the male slaughtered the female, and over the decades I have had few opportunities to obtain them again, usually getting outbid at auctions.

At the GCCA auction this spring, however, there were several bags with reverse trios in them. I thought I had spotted one bag with a trio, so when that bag number came up I bid on it. It only cost me $15, a bargain for this species. However, it turned out that this was also a reverse trio, so when I got them home I separated the female from the two males, who went in a 40 breeder with three young Caquetaia spectabilis about the same size. I watched for quite some time, and the two species seemed to ignore each other.

Eventually I needed the tank that the female was in. The 40 had a lot of clay pots, rocks, and wood for hiding places, so I took a chance and put her in that tank as well. She quickly found some hiding places, but the big male knew she was there. He immediately started digging a spawning pit, and his aggression toward the other fish in the tank went into overdrive. He killed two of the three Bedotia Rainbows that were there for dithers and the extra male horei, shredded the smallest of the spectabile (which died later), and had the largest one cowering in a corner!

This is that dominant male:

I started making room for the other fish so that I could move them to safety, but within a few days I realized that the female was holding. I now had to use a ten that I'd cleaned for the other fish to move the female so she could brood in peace. The photo doesn't look like she's holding that much, but by the time she was ready to release two weeks later, her chin was really bulging!

I decided to strip her after two weeks, as I did not want to risk losing this spawn. They are, after all, a fish I've wanted to breed for a long time. The tank was at about 82 F., and when I stripped there were about 25-30 fairly good size, fully developed fry. They are eating newly hatched brine shriimp quite readily, and I feel safe in saying I will have a nice group growing up for me!

So, even a SA/CA enthusiast can occasionally find love with a Tanganyikan Cichlid!
    Happiness may be the door to Heaven,
    But Pleasure is not the Key.

really nice looking fish chrome, congrats on the breeding , theres nothing more rewarding then your first brood with that fish youve always wanted to breed. hope everythings going well with you !!!!
    125 gallon male aulonocara peacocks
    125 gallon male haps.
    90 gallon grow out tank
    90 gallon demasoni,cyno,afra,hongi srt.
    90 gallon planted apisto.tank
    2-10 gallon med. quarintine tanks

THE ONLY TIME YOU SHOULD LOOK DOWN ON SOMEONE IS WHEN YOUR HELPING THEM UP !!!!!!

Congrats! I picked up two trios of these guys yesterday

Give them a lot of space, and a lot of rocks for the females to find cover. I learned the hard way that two 4" males can't share a 36"x18" space when there are females arouind, even with a lot of cover and other target fish. At least you have plenty of females. May I ask where you got them? We're not that distant from one another, and I haven't seen them online lately. I'd like to try and get a couple more females for breeding.

My fry are doing nicely. They laid on the bottom for a couple of days after I stripped her, but finally started to get up and swimming. The pair is currently in a divided long 30; I tried leaving them together and he was chasing her mercilessly. If she starts showing interest in him I will give them a "chaperoned" chance to be together again.

I got them from a friend who lives in Cincinnati, OH.

hey chrome, bluegrass aquatics have some for sale right now. there the only ones ive seen lately !!!
    125 gallon male haps.
    90 gallon grow out tank

THE ONLY TIME YOU SHOULD LOOK DOWN ON SOMEONE IS WHEN YOUR HELPING THEM UP !!!!!!

Yes, and their prices are ridiculous, IMO. Not to mention that there has been some question of their behavior on Aquabid. There's been some changes in the business, it's not what it was when I bought fish from them at ACA 2005.

I have a lot of fry, I may just have to wait until I raise them up and select my own breeding stock. At the moment the female is fattening back up, and I may have an idea for getting them to spawn without her getting killed.

yes i agree chrome, not a big fan of theres either. but there the only ones ive seen for sale lately,havnt bought from them in years but ive also heard some bad storys from fellow keepers. good luck hope it works out there really nice fish.
    125 gallon male haps.
    90 gallon grow out tank

I have found that in a tank the size of 150 gals, a male will search out, and destroy any non receptive female.

Picked mine up at the gcca classic in 2013, none left.

Well, here's an interesting development. I went to the fishroom this afternoon, and the female looked like she had a mouthful!?! So I watched for a bit, and sure enough, she went close to the egg crate divider and dropped a few eggs, then picked them up. The male was just on the other side, and did the fertilizing shimmy as close as he could get! She even stuck her nose through one of the 1/2 inch holes to help fertilize the eggs!

This solves the problem of trying to put them together without her getting killed. I simply leave them with the divider and she will breed when she is ready! I don't even have to pull her from the tank to brood! This could end up being very productive! I'm stoked and using too many exclamation points!!!!!!!

11. Default

Great news
    Using Tapatalk

some good news chrome congrats,
    125 gallon male haps.
    90 gallon grow out tank