Thread: Looking for a lone fish

Default Looking for a lone fish

I have a 45g tank that is 36"x13"x21". I would like to put just a single fish could I put in there? Any suggestions?

Well lets see... Tank isnt big enough for the big boys (Oscars, Jags, Red Devils)

Since your here I assume you want a cichlid? Hard tank for a lone cichlid. I suggest maybe
    a pair of firemouths or jeweled cichlids. I have breed firemouths and they are stunning when in breeding
    colors. Same with Jeweled.

Texas cichlids are not too big, and they pack the attitude we love.

I like the pair of firemouths or pair of jewels as suggestions. I think a Texas cichlid can get too large for a 45g, really. Some (not all) of the South American earth-eaters are of a size and temperament that a pair just might work. I can't off hand think of a cichlid species I'd be tempted to keep as a solitary fish in that size tank though... but that is perhaps in part a matter of my personal preferences. Hopefully others will chime in with suggestions.

I know it's kinda small, but I asked cuz I just had it sitting there running empty dubbed I moved all my africans to a larger tank.

Quote Originally Posted by DogWalker View Post
    I like the pair of firemouths or pair of jewels as suggestions. I think a Texas cichlid can get too large for a 45g, really. Some (not all) of the South American earth-eaters are of a size and temperament that a pair just might work. I can't off hand think of a cichlid species I'd be tempted to keep as a solitary fish in that size tank though... but that is perhaps in part a matter of my personal preferences. Hopefully others will chime in with suggestions.
    I wasnt sure about the size of Texas cichlids. Know that they dont get huge. Definitely a tough tank for a single wet pet.
    Great tank for a breeding pair of smaller cichlids. Geophagus (spelling?) are cool fish. Dont have that attitude some of the
    others have, but are still great cichlids to raise.

Would a green terror be possible?

I'm pretty sure GT get around a foot long. Probably not the best fish for your tank.
    A pike cichlid might work. There are several species that dont get huge. Some pike
    do get over a foot long(Cintas, Brazilian), so be careful.

Severums are cool cichlids. They don't get too big. Not too aggressive thou.

Are you set on a single wet pet? 45 gallons is a good size for some dwarf species... Apistos, Rams, ect... Perhaps a step up in size like Keyholes, Cupids, Festivums... If you are set on having a single wet pet type than a blue or platinum acara would be fine IMO... The Royal Acara is a cool fish too (Aquidens diadema). Those acaras are related to the Green Terror just not the same size as adults.
    ><((((>`..`..`...><((((>. RoSCoE
    `.. , . .`.. ><((((>`..`..`...><((((>