Thread: synodontis petricola

Default synodontis petricola

Just got 4 of the little buggers yesterday. They're awesome. So small though! I was worried at first that my haps my try to make snack of them but, everyone seems to leave them right alone. They swim right around as happy as can be. Think I'll have to get a couple more when I upgrade my tank.

Anybody else had some of these guys? Anything I should know?

Most of the fish sold as "petricola" are actually S. lucipinnis. They are smaller than the real petricola. There are some slight color differences but I'm not sure what they are exactly.

These are not cuckoo spawners like the multipunctatus, but rather try to lay their eggs in tight cracks. There's a trick to it, using two flowerpots and a marble (seriously!). It takes them a couple of years to mature.

You can probably get a lot more information at planetcatfish.com on how to tell the differences and how to breed. Very cool, active little Syno. You'll enjoy them!
    Happiness may be the door to Heaven,
    But Pleasure is not the Key.

awesome, thanks! I got them from these guys http://www.imperialtropicals.com/index.html

From what I'm seeing they look more like Petricola than the Lucipinns. the white on the front of the fins really stands out on these guys moving around the tank.
    Last edited by Escobert; 04-26-2014 at 05:01 PM.

4. Default

Lol love these guys I breed them

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

5. Default

Very hard to tell difference

Using Tapatalk

6. Default

Here's one of my males

Using Tapatalk

I'll try and get a couple pics tomorrow of my little guys

I met Mike Drawdy of Imperial at the OCA Extravaganza in November; that's who I got the Retroculus from! They have some really good looking fish, I'm considering ordering some other fish from them. The prices may seem a bit high, until you realize that they include shipping.

Checked over at Planetcatfish, their Cat-alog says the most visible difference between petricola and lucipinnis is that petricola has smaller spots on the head than on the rest of the body. They also note that lucipinnis stays smaller, only reaching 4 inches, while petricola can reach 5. Both species are different from the other spotted species (multipunctatus, for example) by having the white leading spines on dorsal and pectoral fins.
    Happiness may be the door to Heaven,
    But Pleasure is not the Key.

ahh Ok, the pictures I had found of lucipinnis didn't show the white on the fins.

I was very happy with ordering from Imperial, and most likely will do so again hope they have some nice mbuna in the future when I get a bigger tank and can fill it out more!