Thread: Some nice pickups today

Default Some nice pickups today

Well, I took a little drive up to Milwaukee today and hit a couple of shops. I was looking for mature, breedable fish that would be sellable if I spawned them (unlike wild Convict fry!).

Mostly I was looking for non-cichlids, and I did pick up a few that could eventually be mildly profitable. However, my first stop, Hoffer's, had six Geo. Red Head Tapajos that were just getting big enough to think about breeding. Since everybody and his brother has been breeding these fish, I believe these are a good shot for a colorful, sellable fish. The price was a bit steep, but the fishroom manager is an old friend and made me an offer I couldn't refuse! So the six came home with me, and if they start spawning, this is a very sellable fish with sizeable broods. I also found some Croaking Gouramis, which I'd been wanting since I have one that accidentally came home from Ohio with me.

Last choice at Hoffer's was between two barb species. I've bred Black Ruby barbs before, and they bring reasonable prices. However, they had just gotten some Rhombo barbs. These are beautiful reddish orange fish with diamond shaped marks on the flanks. However, I don't know of anyone who has bred this species, and I know some pretty big breeders who have tried. So it was a choice between my ego (try to be the first with Rhombos) and my empty bank account (sure breeding, easy money Black Ruby barbs). Money won out, I got the Rubies. Besides, some of the Rhombos didn't look too good, and my friend suggested letting them wait a while.

Second stop was a place called Aquatics Unlimited. They often get some interesting stuff, too. There I found two species of African Tetras, one shouldn't be too hard, the other is a challenge. Walked on down the wall where they have most of their Cichlids, not much there, and a lot of skinny Africans (bad). However, there was a tank with a bunch of small Cryptoheros sajica. I've been considering some for a while, but didn't want to pay shipping. These were healthy, if small, and the price was reasonable. They had some nice color, too, so I'm hoping they'll grow into something really nice.

I have to let the fish settle a few days before trying to get some photos. If some of these start to pop, we're gonna have some fun!
    Happiness may be the door to Heaven,
    But Pleasure is not the Key.

You should have let me know you were coming to town. We could have compared Retroculus notes!

You just missed the MAS meeting at Hoffers on Friday night. We had a very good speaker on Victorian cichlids and there were some neat fish in the auction.

I was also looking at the Rhombo barbs but since I had been on a fish buying binge lately I decided to pass on them and the Corydoras napoensis that Hoffers had too.

Hoffers has had those Red Heads for a long time. Someone locally was raising tons of them but they are really only marketable in a retail store as young adults. Juveniles only sell to hobbyists mostly.

Andy

Yeah, I was thinking the MAS meeting was next Friday, had I realized it was that Friday I might have driven up a day sooner. The trip was sort of a last minute idea, anyway. I had considered visiting Jeff Michels, but he was having a family day on Saturday. I was pretty happy with what I did find, though I did screw up on one thing. Saw some nice, sexable Pearl Gouramis at AU and intended to get some, as that's an easy breeder that is prolific and sells pretty well. However, I got excited over the African Tetras and ended up forgetting the Gouramis.

My Retros are doing nicely, it's fun to watch them. The Astyanax taught them to eat whatever comes in, as fast as they can. Finally got some video (bought a webcam), have to upload it to youtube, but I couldn't remember my login there (hadn't uploaded since.....well, several years). Guess I'll have to start a new account.
    Happiness may be the door to Heaven,
    But Pleasure is not the Key.