Thread: Blue acara tankmates for a 55g

Default Blue acara tankmates for a 55g

Currently I have about 50 juvenile mbuna in my 55g but I talked it over with my better half And once all of them are large enough to sell to my LFS And on Craigslist I wanna try my hand at a new world tank. Original thought was oscars but I'm told 55g is slightly too small of an adult pair. Although I'm buying as juveniles I plan for whatever I put in this tank to live in it for its whole life. We've decided on blue acara.

My big question is what can be tankmates? I want breeding but it's not my sole purpose, so no plecos that might eat the eggs. But other than that I'm all ears. I'd like some type of tetra and some type of top dwelling fish and possibly even some kind of oddball species.

I'm leaning towards diamond tetras since my fiancÚ likes them. But I would love a lot of options to research.
    10 gallon - pelvicachromis pulcher, cryptocoryne wendtii, rotala indica, anubias nana.

45 gallon - labidochromis caeruleus, iodotropheus sprengarae, bristlenose plecosthumus, paralabidochromis chromogynos piebald.

Diamond Tetras are a good choice, also Bleeding Hearts or other medium to large vertically compressed species. Elongate species are more food shaped, even though Blue Acaras generally aren't very predatory. Corydoras are usually safe, the parents have an easier time chasing them away than most Plecos. Top Dwellers are difficult if you want to stay with SA, but if you aren't concerned about mixing continents there may be some possibilities.

The problem is that, no matter what other fish you put in there, there will be eggs or fry eaten by them eventually. You can breed the fish in the community tank, but if you wish to save a reasonable number of young, it is easiest to siphon some out when they are still wigglers or newly swimming.
    Happiness may be the door to Heaven,
    But Pleasure is not the Key.

I do want to stick to the region. I'm ok mixing central and South American but not from any other locale

I understand some felty will be eaten, as is nature. But hoping that some survive. Tank will be moderately planted. Not how yet tho as I hear acara's like to uproot them and I hate the look of potted plants. Maybe just some anubias and son java fern idk yet.

I like the diamond teas same as her but I really like the Colombian tetras. Don't ever have them locally tho.
    10 gallon - pelvicachromis pulcher, cryptocoryne wendtii, rotala indica, anubias nana.

45 gallon - labidochromis caeruleus, iodotropheus sprengarae, bristlenose plecosthumus, paralabidochromis chromogynos piebald.

Columbian Red and Blue Tetras are very common in the stores around here, I'm surprised you can't find any. I don't think I've walked into any store in some time that didn't have some. They would be a good species, fast swimmers with a moderately deep body shape, and grows to a reasonable size. Easily bred as well, one of the reasons they've become so available. Keep looking, I think you'll catch up to some sooner rather than later.

I'll be looking. Could I do a school of them AND diamond tetras? If so how many of each considering their size

Since both can get some size, I'd stick with smaller groups in a 55, perhaps 8-10 of each. The Columbians tend to prefer the upper parts of the tank, while the Diamonds seem to prefer the middle areas. Diamonds don't really school that much, but they will shoal together if they feel threatened. Columbians are one of those constant swimmer types, very active, and those tend to school.

One thing I would be concerned about is the Columbians picking at the flowing fins of the male Diamonds. But if you keep them well fed, I don't think it would be serious.

I feed my fish daily. Fry I feed twice daily