Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sorry if i'm asking something already askedů but i'm worried.

Quote Originally Posted by pfoster74 View Post
    what type..
    yea, it was dumb. rookie mistake i suppose. the biorbs have these filter cartridges that your suppose to completely swap out every 6 weeks. they have carbon, some white things (dunno what they are) and a scrubber thingy. The only thing i didn't do, which i usually do is put the water i hold the fish in back in the tank after i clean it.. i shoulda but didnt. sigh.

Course, i'm absolutely thrilled that she didnt die. She's doing great today.. her fins are healing up and the other is still being an ass but.. i'm stoked though cause i've got a 36 gallon bow front on hold for me which i'll be picking up from petsmart tonight. seems like a popular tank, Aqueon brand and all that.. i'd like to have an acrylic but the only 36 gallon i could find is a SeaClear and didn't have a full hood like the Aqueon does.. and this guy will fit perfectly on what i've got to place it onů assuming it doesn't collapse and ruin my life

Anyway, hopefully i'll get it all setup tonight and get it cycling for a few weeks then I should be able to move them..

Put an old filter or something from your current tank to help speed up the cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by success View Post
    Put an old filter or something from your current tank to help speed up the cycle.
    They can't, check out the original post, it's a 10 gal. bio-orb

so lemme ask you guys this.. the instructions on this tank said i'd have to let it cycle for 24hours before adding fish, course I don't buy that. I'm worried that if i move these guys again after i let this thing cycle a while they're gonna keel over this time, at least the weaker one.. if that happens i'll be livid.

I've added the biostarter, the dechlorinator, pH, salt.. i'd really like to get them out of this other tank sooner than later, but if i need to wait, i'll wait…. its just funny looking at the fish look at the new tank… i don't think they're actually looking at it but it seems like they are.

I dunno.. suggestions, comments, constructive criticism?

Patience is the key to success in this hobby, Rome wasn't built in a day, neither is a successful fish tank. No tank can cycle within 24 hours, do you have a test kit that can measure amm., nitrites, nitrates, and pH.

Secondly, what kind of filter do you have on the 36? if possible check with your lfs to see if they have a seeded bio filter that would fit in yours that they would swap out with you.

Other than that, study up on the fishless cycle. Here's a link

http://www.cichlidforums.com/knowled...ium-Cycle.html

Microbe Lift has a product that can cycle you aquarium within 24 hours. It is called Microbe Lift's "Special Blend" and " Nite Out". Add these two together and Tank is cycled within 24 hours.
    Mbuna Addicted

Quote Originally Posted by minsterkermy View Post
    yea, it was dumb. rookie mistake i suppose. the biorbs have these filter cartridges that your suppose to completely swap out every 6 weeks. they have carbon, some white things (dunno what they are) and a scrubber thingy.
    i don't care what the manufacturer of the cartridge is telling you. cut the carbon out of it and clean it once a week never replace the cartridge. that is the best practice.

Doesn't the carbon also control the fish smell from the water?

My one hang on the back is like that with the filter cartridges and I rinse and reuse the filter with the carbon in it until it won't pass water through it anymore. Then I replace it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Figured i'd give you guys an update.

Fish are doing great in their new tank. Seem to be a lot happier, which is expected being as its larger tank.

The peacock that was on the verge of death from tank shock has made pretty much a full recovery. Fins are slowly growing back from where mr. ******* had nipped at them.

Tank is doing great too, done a couple of water changes since they've been in and my levels are all looking good..

thanks for all the advice folks, it really helps for a n00b like myself.

10. Default

Cmon you know we're gonna wanna see some pics. Congrats on your success and enjoy your new tank.

I have MTS.
    Using Tapatalk