Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: 55g 3D background for the local club

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    277

    Default 55g 3D background for the local club

    This is a 3D background I just finished for the local cichlid club I am a part of for one of their auction's this weekend. Biggest hurdle with a 55g 3D background is that you only have 12" front to back depth so you don't want to cut that room down much more than you have too. So I got around that issue by making this one as thin as I could and just cut deeper into the foam as well as doing a bit darker shading in the crevices to give it the illusion of even more depth than it actually is. Worked out well as it has a nice 3D look to it yet 75% of it only takes 1" depth and the other 25% only takes 2" of tank depth.

    I also wanted to make it so the winner was not stuck with only being able to use a certain type of filter, such as a canister, because not everyone uses canisters. So the upper right 15" or so is rounded and thinner depth than the the rest so that a HOB filter such as a bio-wheel style can fit right over the background without any headaches.








  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    401

    Default

    You are a busy man, do you sleep at all? lol


    Looks good!
    75 Gal
    1-Yellow Lab
    2-Blue Acei
    3-Blue Zebras
    5-Metriaclima Zebra (OB)
    lots of "Hybrids"
    1-Royal Pleco
    2 - Pictus Catfish

    125 Gal
    Tropical Community tank
    2 - Pictus Catfish
    1-Synodontis Eupterus
    1-Synodontis Catfish
    2-Marble Plecos

  3. #3

    Default

    Be honest. How much did it cost to built.?You can start your own company you know? "Steve's 3D Backgrounds" Parts sold separate.
    Mbuna Addicted

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    277

    Default

    Sleep, whats that? lol

    It's hard to say how much just one cost me to build because some of the materials last more than just one background. Usually I buy the foam in 4ft x 8ft sheets and that's about $15 a sheet, then drylok is about $26 a gal, then the pond armor is the expensive item, that is $75 for a quart and a half.

    I actually started working on a 3D background website/business a few months ago but between my other business and the other projects I have going I just haven't had the time to finish the website and get it all up and running. One of these days I will though, its on the to do list.

  5. #5

    Default

    Hands down Mate. If I where living in the US I would get a 6 footer from you because my Overflows of my sump is irritating to look at.
    Mbuna Addicted

Similar Threads

  1. Fry club!
    By RustyNut in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 05-12-2012, 07:25 PM
  2. New local cichlid club (Abiline, TX)
    By ceriff in forum Cichlid Club/Association Announcements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-19-2007, 05:30 PM
  3. Starting a local Cichlid Club
    By merlyn2221 in forum Cichlid Club/Association Announcements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-27-2006, 03:09 PM
  4. a new club in florida
    By stubedoo in forum Cichlid Club/Association Announcements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-03-2005, 05:38 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •