Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My piece of lake Tanganyika: Alto. comp. "Sumbu dwarfs" and Multies

Cool My piece of lake Tanganyika: Alto. comp. "Sumbu dwarfs" and Multies

Hello Cichlid lovers,

Last month I thought of taking a break from planted tanks and made my mind to make a small tanganyikan tank with some shell dwellers.
    After some reading and research I finally decided which fish I want to keep. I wanted Altolamprologus compressiceps 'Sumbu dwarf' (Or as some people like to call them Altolamprologus sp. compressiceps 'Sumbu dwarf' because they haven't been described yet) for my 20G tank.
    Then began the quest to find these beautiful shell dwellers. I emailed every single website that I knew, sells african fishes: bluegrassaquatics, Segrets farm, littleafrica and what not... But I couldn't find them.
    A great guy Chris (frontosa express) had an adult trio for sale but I was looking for like a group of 5-6. So finally Jon from Riftfish emailed me saying he has a colony of 6. Everything worked out well and so there I was to recieve my fish at the Fedex office

I had already setup my tank with "countless times washed and still making water cloudy" play sand and lace rocks. I did the acclimatisation process for 7-8 hours and then finally added them in the tank. My filter was already cycled from my planted tank and I had also put some seachem stability in the sand bed.
    Jon also sent me some shells. I added some shells that I got at petco. I know they dont look great and look out of place. I will soon buy a big set of escargot snail shell and will replace all the weird shells with them.

2 questions though-

1. I totally failed to understand which is the male and which is the female. Sometimes a fish will have white body and stripes and them sometime the same fish will become all gray! Can anyone help me in identifying the male and female here?

2. Jon has sent me some food that they have been eating with him. Its about to get finished now. Which would be the best food that I can give them? NLS cichlid formula? Or mix it with NLS Thera +A? They also love to eat SDFF's nano krill mix.
    Also, what are your views on feeding frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp to them?

Enough talking. Now my favorite part- Time for some pictures

Sumbu shell-

Altolamprologus sp compressisceps "Sumbu shell" by sumertiwari, on Flickr

Multies-
    Before I saw this picture, I did not know they have such sharp teeth.

Neolamprologus multifasciatus by sumertiwari, on Flickr

And here is a FTS-

IMG_4984 by sumertiwari, on Flickr

I also made a small video of my tank. Watch it here-

Hope you all liked the pictures and videos.
    Any comment, suggestion, constructive criticism is welcome

Thanks,
    Sumer.

Awesome stuff and all of this is in a 20G. Goodness
    Mbuna Addicted

Quote Originally Posted by SNAILOS View Post
    Awesome stuff and all of this is in a 20G. Goodness
    These macro lenses make everything look so bigger than they are actually. Fishes are really tiny. I might remove a few multies from there if it'll look a bit crowded in there.

WOWieeeeeeeeeeeeee Great pics and good camera work!!!!!!! Tangs are my favorite, I had them and also Multi's. Congrats on the brichardi eggs, I never did have those. Keep the pics coming! PS. I forgot.....be very careful with those eggs, you have fish inside that tank that will devour them in a NY second, been there done that lol. Don't pack anymore into this 20 tho, time for a 50 lol
    WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE <~~~ My Mantra!

Excellent shots, great looking specimen.

Awesome pictures , very nice fish and setup, congrats ;)

amazing! what lens are you using?

Beautiful fish and very nice photogrphy

I can help with gender...

1 Can't see vent area

5 Male

9 Both males. LOVE the colour on the male on the right!!!! Would love to see more photos of him. He is a show stopper!

11 female

Cheers,
    Russ

Hey,
    thanks everyone for your comments
    insite- I used a 100mm macro to take these shots. I use this lens almost everytime while taking fish pictures.

Razzo- Thanks a lot mate And thanks again for the sex identification. I have some more recent pics. I will update the thread soon.

hello razzo my name is jeff and new to this forum . the truth is some what new with using a computer so will apologize ahead of time for any mistakes i make or if i do not respond back right away. i live in st john- IN not that far from u and i loved the pics of your calvuses ,and would really like to buy some if u had any for sell .my email is jdschane@aol.com that might be the best way to let me know if that would work .that would be easier for me until i get use to this forum.but if it is easier for u to just respond on the forum i am sure sooner or later i can work it out

Quote Originally Posted by sumer View Post
    Hey,
    thanks everyone for your comments
    insite- I used a 100mm macro to take these shots. I use this lens almost everytime while taking fish pictures.

Razzo- Thanks a lot mate And thanks again for the sex identification. I have some more recent pics. I will update the thread soon.
    Happy to help. I have raised a lot of altolamps. Profile pics of the vent area would be very helpful and I could help pass on the ID knowledge to you.

Few photography questions for you:
    The macro lens explained what my next question would have been: what aperture did you use to get the DOF in those images.
    Also, what was your ISO?

Chhers,
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by jeffschane View Post
    hello razzo my name is jeff and new to this forum . the truth is some what new with using a computer so will apologize ahead of time for any mistakes i make or if i do not respond back right away. i live in st john- IN not that far from u and i loved the pics of your calvuses ,and would really like to buy some if u had any for sell .my email is jdschane@aol.com that might be the best way to let me know if that would work .that would be easier for me until i get use to this forum.but if it is easier for u to just respond on the forum i am sure sooner or later i can work it out
    Jeff, thanks for the kind words. if you click on my user name you will see an option to send me a private message (just for future use) as you learn forum edicate & functionality of the site. I no longer breed altolamps. I don't want to hijack this thread any further/ beyond this reply, shoot me a PM and we can continue this discussion offline.

Sumer - what brand / model is the lens? Thx!

Quote Originally Posted by Razzo View Post
    Happy to help. I have raised a lot of altolamps. Profile pics of the vent area would be very helpful and I could help pass on the ID knowledge to you.

Few photography questions for you:
    The macro lens explained what my next question would have been: what aperture did you use to get the DOF in those images.
    Also, what was your ISO?

Chhers,
    Russ
    Hi Razzo,
    I always keep my ISO at 100. I try not to go beyond that because if I need to print the pictures, higher ISO can create problems in printing.
    Aperture- I use aperture as the main way to control the light. To get the perfect black BG, I sometimes go to f/22 too. In these shots I might have used maybe f/4. But if needed, I reduce the light output intensity of the flashes and go even to f/2.8 sometimes which is rare. I remember doing that while taking pictures of boraras brigittae once.
    Hope I didn't get too nerdy here Please let me know if I can answer any more questions for you.

Insite- Here's the lens I use. There are some other good lenses too which are a bit cheaper like this. But I bought this lens recently. Before that I have used macro filters for years. They are really very inexpensive way to get closure to the subject. And you'd be surprised by the result.

Epiplatys annulatus male by sumertiwari, on Flickr

Wild Tiger shrimp by sumertiwari, on Flickr

Try them out before investing in the dedicated macro. They help you realize if you're really into macro or not

Thanks sumer. Not too nerdy for me - always like to see what settings another photography has chosen. I see how you got such a low ISO by using a flash. I don't use a flash and I have to bump my ISO up to 1600 just to get a shutter speed the won't blur the fish (1/80). Right now, I am shooting with a 24mm wide angle lens that allows me to get my aperture to 4.0 (got that for landscape photography and had to start using it in the fish room as my other lens died). I control the graininess by adjusting the Luminance in Adobe Camera RAW. I don't photo finish my images in print; so, this works OK for the computer screen.

Do you shoot in RAW?

Thanks,
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by sumer View Post
    Hi Razzo,
    I always keep my ISO at 100. I try not to go beyond that because if I need to print the pictures, higher ISO can create problems in printing.
    Aperture- I use aperture as the main way to control the light. To get the perfect black BG, I sometimes go to f/22 too. In these shots I might have used maybe f/4. But if needed, I reduce the light output intensity of the flashes and go even to f/2.8 sometimes which is rare. I remember doing that while taking pictures of boraras brigittae once.
    Hope I didn't get too nerdy here Please let me know if I can answer any more questions for you.

Insite- Here's the lens I use. There are some other good lenses too which are a bit cheaper like this. But I bought this lens recently. Before that I have used macro filters for years. They are really very inexpensive way to get closure to the subject. And you'd be surprised by the result.

Try them out before investing in the dedicated macro. They help you realize if you're really into macro or not