Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giant Clown Loaches

1. Default Giant Clown Loaches

Video of my trio of very large clowns. Largest one is 10 1/2 inches in length.

Beautiful animals!

Back in the early 70s, an acquaintance had a small group of very large (12") Clowns in a 240 gallon tank. There was a massive sword plant in the tank, and one day he noticed several tiny clowns swimming around at the base of it. Apparently his loaches had spawned unseen, and the 7 fry he found were all that survived. He was not the only one to report an accidental spawn. In those days, the importation of very large clowns was not that uncommon, but has since been banned to protect the breeders in the wild. It takes many years to grow the little ones into sexually mature adults. I think a planted tank might provide you with happier Clowns, and might even get you some little ones some day.
    Happiness may be the door to Heaven,
    But Pleasure is not the Key.

Nice video tony,i also have a pair of clowns 9" and 8",ive had them for a little over ten years they have always been my favorites. They never leave each others side they swim around each other ,their always rubbing noses ive never seen fish so affectionate to each other their absolutely amazing fish.
    125 gallon male aulonocara peacocks
    125 gallon male haps.
    90 gallon grow out tank
    90 gallon demasoni,cyno,afra,hongi srt.
    90 gallon planted apisto.tank
    2-10 gallon med. quarintine tanks

THE ONLY TIME YOU SHOULD LOOK DOWN ON SOMEONE IS WHEN YOUR HELPING THEM UP !!!!!!

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Chromedome View Post
    Beautiful animals!

Back in the early 70s, an acquaintance had a small group of very large (12") Clowns in a 240 gallon tank. There was a massive sword plant in the tank, and one day he noticed several tiny clowns swimming around at the base of it. Apparently his loaches had spawned unseen, and the 7 fry he found were all that survived. He was not the only one to report an accidental spawn. In those days, the importation of very large clowns was not that uncommon, but has since been banned to protect the breeders in the wild. It takes many years to grow the little ones into sexually mature adults. I think a planted tank might provide you with happier Clowns, and might even get you some little ones some day.
    Yeah, clown loach breeding is almost a secret and such a rare occurrence. Not looking at breeding these guys but if I ever do, I'll try adding a large sword plant. I actually had issues with clown loaches eating sword type plants in the past...maybe there is something about them.

Quote Originally Posted by geneyes View Post
    Nice video tony,i also have a pair of clowns 9" and 8",ive had them for a little over ten years they have always been my favorites. They never leave each others side they swim around each other ,their always rubbing noses ive never seen fish so affectionate to each other their absolutely amazing fish.
    I agree...they are the fish I get most comments about when I have company, but its usually when they are laying on their sides looking dead lol.

Thats funny tony, because i came home about two weeks ago and the larger one was laying on his side like he was dead. Its the first time theyve acted like this now there both doing it. I was getting worried that there getting very old and i might loose them.
    125 gallon male aulonocara peacocks
    125 gallon male haps.
    90 gallon grow out tank
    90 gallon demasoni,cyno,afra,hongi srt.
    90 gallon planted apisto.tank
    2-10 gallon med. quarintine tanks

THE ONLY TIME YOU SHOULD LOOK DOWN ON SOMEONE IS WHEN YOUR HELPING THEM UP !!!!!!

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by geneyes View Post
    Thats funny tony, because i came home about two weeks ago and the larger one was laying on his side like he was dead. Its the first time theyve acted like this now there both doing it. I was getting worried that there getting very old and i might loose them.
    It must be a sign of old age wanting to sleep all day lol...but I think you'll be fine...for all we know these guys can maybe live a 100 years lol.

Wow those are very impressive Loaches you have! That was a nice video to watch seeing such large fish .
    There is something new to be learned everyday as long as we are open minded

Loaches are great, I've had my trio of loaches for a year now. They are just now about 4.5". Soon as they get to about 6" they will end up in the 265g tank. Mine do the same as your guys do, they lay on their sides and in all sorts of crazy positions. Just loaches being loaches

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MyCichlidsHeaven01 View Post
    Wow those are very impressive Loaches you have! That was a nice video to watch seeing such large fish .
    Thank you...they are super entertaining

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
    Loaches are great, I've had my trio of loaches for a year now. They are just now about 4.5". Soon as they get to about 6" they will end up in the 265g tank. Mine do the same as your guys do, they lay on their sides and in all sorts of crazy positions. Just loaches being loaches
    Yeah and that's why we love them lol. Every kind of loach has its wn kind of personality too...I think for a fish they are quite intelligent.

Awesome I love clown loaches. some day I'll get me some. Whenever I see them here in Tucson they are pricey.

My little boy says they are sleeping when he sees them. At first he thought it had died but then it wakes up.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cich1 View Post
    Awesome I love clown loaches. some day I'll get me some. Whenever I see them here in Tucson they are pricey.
    Yeah I was lucky...caught them at the right moment when they were brought in a "trade ins"...paid probably under a $100 for the 3. If you would order loaches like that...you would probably be spending 125 - 200 each

Quote Originally Posted by dBuster2008 View Post
    My little boy says they are sleeping when he sees them. At first he thought it had died but then it wakes up.

Lol

Wow so my getting mine from the big box pet store for $4.99 was a steal then! Sure it was small but it has grown and I got a second one for our small tank. I think I may have paid $5.99 when I got the second one years later.

Yea they are anywhere from $9.99 - $12.99 in our box stores. AND thats for ones that are 2"
    75 Gal
    1-Yellow Lab
    2-Blue Acei
    3-Blue Zebras
    5-Metriaclima Zebra (OB)
    lots of "Hybrids"
    1-Royal Pleco
    2 - Pictus Catfish

125 Gal
    Tropical Community tank
    2 - Pictus Catfish
    1-Synodontis Eupterus
    1-Synodontis Catfish
    2-Marble Plecos

Really love watching this video. They are very impressive fish for sure. I look at my little 2 inch Botia Loach and wonder if he will ever get that big. He is a character and I love to watch him when he decides to come out of his castle.
    There is something new to be learned everyday as long as we are open minded