Thread: Christmas gift for my Niece

Default Christmas gift for my Niece

About a year ago I got my Niece a turtle and now he's outgrowing his 29g tank pretty quickly. So she's going to need a bigger tank for him come spring. My Niece has also taken a liking to fish now that she see's mine all the time and mainly she likes Koi, goldfish, comets because they have a small koi pond outside their house in the backyard. They plan to dig it larger in the spring so I decided to get her a larger tank for her turtle, yet also get her some pond fish so that she can keep the fish in the tank in her room till spring, then once they go in the pond then the tank will be a new home for her turtle Timmy.

So I picked up a 60g 48x12x22 along with a stand and filter the other day. The trim on the tank was pretty trashed and the stand needed some help so I decided to simply restore the entire package so I could give her something she would be proud of.

Luckily I had got a leaky 55g tank a few months ago for free from Pete that I keep my Bonsia tree's in to keep them humid during the winter, so I was able to remove the trim from that leaky tank which the trim was in perfect condition on that one, and then put it on the tank for her. My brother in law just finished painting my Nieces room this summer in a sea foam green that she wanted so I had him bring what was left of that paint and I painted the trim and stand after I sanded it to match her room. Also built a shelf on the bottom of the stand out of some left over oak I had left from one of my stand builds on my tanks.

I also salvaged a couple pieces of the old broken trim and cut/sanded them, then modified them so they would be able to be used on the front corners of the tank because a tank in a teenagers room is bound to get hit with something. So after painting those pieces to match as well they not only dress up the tank but also serve a purpose to protect the corner edges. Also spent the better part of a day scraping the blue paint off the back and redoing it black.

I got her four fish as well, two larger ones are 10" & 12" and the smaller ones are about 5"-6".

Wow that is really awesome! I bet she will be tickled pink!!! What a lucky niece and what a great Uncle! Good work!
    There is something new to be learned everyday as long as we are open minded

Excellent Job Steve, amazing project.

Looks good.
    Need to upload a cichlid photo? Check out the Cichlid Gallery, it is free and easy to use.
    Best of all, you don't have to leave this forum to access it!

Cichlid Gallery - Fin Rot Treatment - What Did You Do Today? - What Spawned For You Today?

Nikon D800 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 OS | Yongnuo YN-560II | Yongnuo RF-603 N3 | BrianStalterPhotography.com

She loved it

Bravo!! Look at that smile!
    There is something new to be learned everyday as long as we are open minded