Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: haplochromis sp. 35

Default haplochromis sp. 35

Looks like I will be entering the world of vics. A club member has about 40 haplochromis sp. 35 fry that he has no space for and said i could have them if I come get them. After seeing the spectacular male, how can I refuse?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	attachment-1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	23203  
    75: 7 metriaclima estherae, 3 pseudotropheus socolofi, 2 sciaenochromis fryeri, 2 hemichromis lafalilli, 2 OB peacocks.
    55: 7 pseudotropheus demasoni, 8 labidochromis caeruleus.
    20: 9 Pundamillia nyereri. 20: p. socolofi, l. caeruleus, s. fryeri juveniles. 10: l. caeruleus fry

Very colorful male.
    Need to upload a cichlid photo? Check out the Cichlid Gallery, it is free and easy to use.
    Best of all, you don't have to leave this forum to access it!

Cichlid Gallery - Fin Rot Treatment - What Did You Do Today? - What Spawned For You Today?

Nikon D800 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 OS | Yongnuo YN-560II | Yongnuo RF-603 N3 | BrianStalterPhotography.com

Heck yes, another vic keeper

Awesome looking fish, need more pics

Merlin, I always knew you'd get around to keeping real fish.

Excellent find, welcome to the wonderful world of victorian cichlids

Out of about 40 fry you should have an excellent breeding colony(ies). What size tank are you planning for them?

What a great looking boy! Congrats!
    There is something new to be learned everyday as long as we are open minded

I agree a beautiful show Male. They only deserve a tank of their own surely. Why sp. ? Is it not a Pundamilia Nyererei. Do not know which locale it is from .At least 11 populations are known, including ‘Nansio Island’, ‘Ruti Island’, ‘Zue Island’, ‘Makobe Island’, ‘Igombe Island, ‘Anchor Island’, ‘Python Islands’, and ‘Luanso Island’ ect. Sounds Kewl.
    Mbuna Addicted

Ha ha, Robert I knew I would get a favorable reaction from you, the resident Vic nut on this forum. Snailos, spyder, and mycichlidsheaven, thank's for the positive feedback as well..

At this time the plan is to raise them in a 20 gal that currently only has 2 bronze Cory cats and 2 small albino BN plecos. Are either of those species fry eaters? If so I have a breeding net I can keep them in until they get a little bigger. Long term, not sure yet. I already have 5 tanks going and have promised my wife NO MORE TANKS! I am overrun with 50+ red zebra and @35 yellow lab babies from 1" to almost 3" and need to clear some out. As a side note, I was pleasamtly surprised to have some OB zebras, which I read are females.

The Vics may end up as a breeding trio in my 55 in a (horror, ha ha) mixed African community tank with peacocks, haps, and yellow labs, although I do have plenty of time yet. One thing is for sure I will have lots of vics to sell or trade.

The first pic was in breeding dress, I do have another pic of the same male not in breeding dress, and his coloring is still fantastic. When I go get the fry ( probably Wednesday) I will talk to the owner and find out if he knows more details on the exact origin of this male, the only other info I have is he called it a tomato. Also here is the 20 gal they will start out in. Not a bad looking tank if I say so myself.

I am very excited about these vics!!! Can't hardly wait!!!

TTYL, Merlin.

Name:	attachment-2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	23206   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131117_174548.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	23207  
    Last edited by merlin; 11-25-2013 at 01:56 PM.
    75: 7 metriaclima estherae, 3 pseudotropheus socolofi, 2 sciaenochromis fryeri, 2 hemichromis lafalilli, 2 OB peacocks.
    20: 9 Pundamillia nyereri. 20: p. socolofi, l. caeruleus, s. fryeri juveniles. 10: l. caeruleus fry

Here's some information for everyone on this beautiful fish, and help answer Snailos' question.

http://www.africancichlids.net/artic...chromis_sp_35/

Quote Originally Posted by SNAILOS View Post
    Why sp. ? Is it not a Pundamilia Nyererei.
    I agree. It looks like Pundamilia nyererei and not Haplochromis species #35 "tomato" to me.

Kevin

Missed the op's second pic, after looking more I agree with Kevin and Snailos, I'm still learning too

Quote Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
    Missed the op's second pic, after looking more I agree with Kevin and Snailos, I'm still learning too
    Cannot be Parrot. You are supposed to be the Victorian guy to speak to.
    Mbuna Addicted

Quote Originally Posted by SNAILOS View Post
    Cannot be Parrot. You are supposed to be the Victorian guy to speak to.
    I'm a work in progress

Either way it's a beauty, I don't care what its called! Actually when I first saw it that's what I thought it was, but only out of ignorance, because the pundamilia nyererei was the only Vic I knew the name of, ha ha!

Well I got my baby vics today! Hard to get good pics, they're just a little grey fish right now. He gave me a bag and I counted 26 I think, not 40 like he said. But that's still plenty and they were free. Looks like they are maybe 3 weeks old or so. Now I have to wait months and months, ha ha.

Name:	20131201_134617.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	23243  
    Last edited by merlin; 12-01-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Keep the temp around 80 and do lots of water changes, you'll be surprised at how fast they'll grow.