Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White, stringy poop

Default White, stringy poop

So is white, string poop a sure sign of bacterial infection? This is becoming common in my tank. I see it atleast every month or so. The fish also doesn't eat and eventually dies. I do try to take them out and put them in the hospital tank and apply Marycin 2 but I have yet to have any successes so far. My tank parameters are perfect (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 8.0 PH, 77 degrees). I have a 90 gallon with 25 cichlids in it. I do a water change every 2 weeks and add 1 tbsp salt per 10 gallons. I feed them flakes, spirulina, pellets, frozen food, peas. I do believe I am doing everything right..... aren't I?

Bacteria infection? No! Parasite Infestation..Yes..

Have you added new fish the last little while, and this started happening. You said its been going on for a few months..
    Or it could be your water conditions before that maybe were not right at that time.
    I have heard that some frozen foods can carry problems..
    do you rotate these foods enough..like 1 pea every week and 1/2,pellets once a week..
    flakes daily..etc..
    secondly you must medicate the WHOLE tank not just the fish..this is why you have had no luck..Maracyn and Maracyn 2 are great products to use

get back to me..

Sue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    40gal 2 electric blues, 1 male convict, juv.electric,pleco
    10gal 6 lemon tetras, dwarf loach,tiger barb(rescued)
    1 bettas
    33gal 2 clown loaches..
    4 fancy goldfish,baby spotted pleco 10gal female Electric blue and about 25 fry

I agree w/ Sue.. Probably a parasite. What you could also try is pepso food. You can get it at your lfs, jungle makes it. It will clean out the digestive system & flush out the parasite. It is safe to feed to all of your fish. It is important to just feed them only pepso for three days.. It has worked for me in the past. Hope this helps you.
    Quote Originally Posted by maccichlid View Post
    at least when i smack you, it will be with a prize-worthy koi, not some common carp.

I will look into getting some pepso food. I am not sure what it is but I will ask the person at my lfs. I have been hesitating to put Maracyn 2 in my main tank because that would require 18 tablets the first day and then 9 tablets for the next 4 days (54 tablets in all). That's pretty expensive. Yes I do care for my fish and I do spend alot of money on them but to me this would be stretching it. The last time I put new fish in was about 6 weeks ago. All 6 are doing fine. At the moment, only 1 fish (Red Empris(?)) is acting funny (swimming by itself, looking lost, not eating, white poop). I plan on taking it out tonight and putting it in my 10 gal tank and applying Maracyn 2. I will keep you up to date.

I put the Red Empris in the 10 gal tank and put in some Maracyn 2. I took a closer look at it and it definitely seems like his stomach is swollen. Much more than my other Red Empris. I do think it's bloat. Would Maracyn 2 take care of that? By the way, the instructions that came with M2 says that sluggish, not eating behaviour is bacterial and not parasitic. What's the best remedy for bloat?

white poop usually indicates intestinal parasites as suggested above. the pepso food won't work, however if the fish is not eating. why not try first a partial water change, then raising the temp to about 82 degrees and adding 1 tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons of tank water? don't try feeding for a couple of days.
    one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish...omigod!! a whole lotta fish!!(mbuna tank)

"Ya shark-toothed salmon! Ya hammer-headed halibut!"--Yosemite Sam

"Ah hates dragons. Dragons is so dumb!--Yosemite Sam

Yes it can be very expensive....I would do as was said with the salt..Im pretty positive its parisite..
    possibly something else too..depending how long this fish has had this problem..
    what appears to be an affliction on one fish,might not be the same on a different day, or on another fish..
    you must keep a close watch on the main tank..
    i would add salt to both tanks and see how that goes for a day or 2..get an air stone for both tanks to give extra agitation..

hope this helps..
    Sue..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    40gal 2 electric blues, 1 male convict, juv.electric,pleco
    10gal 6 lemon tetras, dwarf loach,tiger barb(rescued)
    1 bettas
    33gal 2 clown loaches..
    4 fancy goldfish,baby spotted pleco 10gal female Electric blue and about 25 fry

what do you feed your fish?
    one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish...omigod!! a whole lotta fish!!(mbuna tank)

I feed them a variety: Flakes, spirulina every day. Pellets every 2 or 3 days. Peas and frozen food once a week. I feed once a day whatever they can finish in 3-5 mins. About the Red Empris, I can't fiigure out whether it has Dropsy or Bloat. If it is Dropsy, then Maracyn 2 will help. I actually put both Maracyn and Maracyn2 in my hospital tank. I also raised the temp to 80 and put in 2 tbsp of ciclid salt. I will have to go out and look for epsom salt as well. This is the first time I have noticed this condition "this early." Previously, I didn't realize how bad not eating and white poop is. After losing a few fish this way, I am now constanly monitoring every fish and make sure they all eat when I feed them. Learn from experience I guess..

with dropsy, the scales stick out making the fish look kinda like a pinecone.

Default Re: White, stringy poop

Originally posted by Raichura
    So is white, string poop a sure sign of bacterial infection? This is becoming common in my tank. I see it atleast every month or so. The fish also doesn't eat and eventually dies.
    maybe you need to step up your water changing schedule...weekly instead of bi-weekly. how much water do you change?

Maybe.. I guess it's partly due to laziness. I have about 90 lbs of rocks that I have to remove. A big piece of driftwood and 10 plastic plants as well. I also think I should do it every week instead of every 2 weeks. I change about about 30% everytime (vacuum at the same time.) I figured my two filters (Eheim 2217, Emperor 280) should keep the water clean. I think it does. It looks sparkling clear all the time. My pleco doesn't help though. He poops like there is no tomorrow.

on the alternate weeks, you could just change water without moving anything. also, consider changing 50%.

my acara also has this white stringy poop problem and it has stopped eating much at all. should i get jungle pepso immediately??

Yes mr climbatize, I would if you can get him to eat it..
    Quote Originally Posted by maccichlid View Post
    at least when i smack you, it will be with a prize-worthy koi, not some common carp.