Thread: SP.44 questions

Default SP.44 questions

Hello,
    I've a question about the sp.44.
    In the network I find differents images about the similar fish, but with different characteristic.
    In particular I find 3 different fish nominated Haplocromis sp.44, post the immages.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ch44 4barre.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	22347

Name:	ch44 5barre.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	169.3 KB 
ID:	22346

Name:	ch44 6barre.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	22348

The immediate differences hare:
    the first have 4 strips
    the second 5 strips
    the last 6 strips

are all Haplochromis sp.44 ? If yes how can classify they?

There are other type of sp.44??

sorry for my English !!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_G View Post
    In the network I find different images about the similar fish, but with different characteristic.
    In particular I find 3 different fish nominated Haplochromis sp.44
    are all Haplochromis sp.44 ? If yes how can classify they?
    A lot of species will show some variation based upon their collection point. This particular species has been in the hobby for a very long time. It's not too surprising to see aquarium raised fish look a bit different after many generations of breeding.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by StructureGuy View Post
    A lot of species will show some variation based upon their collection point. This particular species has been in the hobby for a very long time. It's not too surprising to see aquarium raised fish look a bit different after many generations of breeding.

Kevin
    thank you for the answer, have you information about the different variation ? example specific name and description of specimens, so as to be able to recognize different individuals?

ps. my compliments for your website, I read it and follow it for several years.

I did some research, it would appear that sp44 cichlids originary were only to Mawaza Golf, with typical yellow coloration and 6 to 8 strips. Around the 1990 was introduced into the waters of the kenya. The esemplares to introduction in Kenya was been renamed Haplochromis sp5.
    From '93 to '95 new species have been discovered, particularly the sp.34 that i think is the Haplochromis sp Blue Red Fin and variants of SP44 with red back, or head blue.
    so probably many species from Kenya are hybrids of the lake, partly because it should be stressed that the SP44 is the one that best responded to the decline of the lake.

Anyone has more news about the above?

5. Default

Waouh a little bit of confusion, sp 44 is H.sp"thick skin" as Loiselle said in 1992, this fish is a sand dwelling species widely distributed across the entire lake, but in the lake two close species live in the same habitat or close one to each other; H.sp44 and H.diversicolor, they differ only by little morphometrics charactersitics. This species wasn't introduced to kenya as it 's also found in those waters naturally. There are at leats 3 species showing the same color pattern and that have been probably mixed in the trade or by hobbyists. Not so many species are hybridized in the lake and yurs elements are too tinies to conclude that.I don't know where yu found theses informations but they seem not so accurate to me.
    xris
    like a haplo in the water

probably I wrong translate from German doc.

http://www.dcg-online.de/encyclopedi...-S-108-115.pdf

But in this document the thick skin are in the Butimba in the Mwanza gulf, probably are present in other locality of Mwanza but distributed across the entire Lake.

Speaks of other species of the Kenya / Uganda imported in 1993. Imported the term can mean "introduced in the lake" or only "Imported" in our Hobby ?

If you have more information, can you help me to do more clarity?
    Example is Haplocromis sp.44 Thick Skin the same to Haplocromis sp.44 ? Or as SP44 means a generic species they belong to different specimens including the Thick Skin?

sorry for my probably incomprehensible English

7. Default

I'm not english either so my english could be a little confusing and I don't speak german so it's a little bit hard to read this paper, from what I know, H.sp44 was the first name( can see one on the Heiko Bleher poster, 1992), then Paul Loiselle( in 1993 in the french cichlids association annual meeting), said that this fish should be called H.sp"thick skin" as Ole Seehausen in lake victoria cichlids 1993 shown it in pictures. But the fish that one can see in the commercial circuit doesn't look like the one posted on Ole's book, it differs by some elements( the snout, the body marking, the red flush on flanks) Some of thick skin fishes have also be imported from kenyan waters in France in 2000 by a hobbyist. The name sp44 is a kind of generic name in the hobby not in science, sp means undescribed and the number means it was the 44th fish caught. To my opinion sp44 is a generic name where at least two species may have been crossed(may be more) this could explain the great varaibility found in this fish. The fishes imported in 1993 were by Old world exotics and they were exported from Ugandan waters.
    xris
    like a haplo in the water

OK, I wrote to Bleher for clarify the situation sp.44, just answer me tell you about

thank you very much