Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The new project 265g 7ft tank/office

Going to reseal it myself.

Hey steve : Sorry to here about the lost fish and bad luck with the tank, hang in there !!!. I resealed my 125 gallon myself it wasnt really as daunting as i thought it would be. Its held water with no leaks for two years now so i guess i must have got it right. Good luck the rest of the way hopefully the bad luck is behind!!!
    125 gallon male aulonocara peacocks
    125 gallon male haps.
    90 gallon grow out tank
    90 gallon demasoni,cyno,afra,hongi srt.
    90 gallon planted apisto.tank
    2-10 gallon med. quarintine tanks

THE ONLY TIME YOU SHOULD LOOK DOWN ON SOMEONE IS WHEN YOUR HELPING THEM UP !!!!!!

Sorry to hear about the fish

Its looking good though, when your done its going to be pretty wild!

No fish were harmed in the leaking of this tank!
    75 Gal
    1-Yellow Lab
    2-Blue Acei
    3-Blue Zebras
    5-Metriaclima Zebra (OB)
    lots of "Hybrids"
    1-Royal Pleco
    2 - Pictus Catfish

125 Gal
    Tropical Community tank
    2 - Pictus Catfish
    1-Synodontis Eupterus
    1-Synodontis Catfish
    2-Marble Plecos

FINALLY...just finished resealing the tank. I'm "mostly" happy with the reseal job so far, looks wise I would say passable but not perfect. Since this is my very first reseal though and its so dang big I guess it's not expected to be perfect. There's a few spots where there's some excess silicone that my finger pushed out too far because I did not use any tape. Since every seal in the tank will be covered by the 3D background though none of those spots worry me because they will not be seen anyway.

Far as structural integrity of the reseal job (the important part) I am pretty confident it all went very well. I pushed the new silicone deep into the corners and laid some nice long beads without any spots that look suspect, so I believe it should be a pretty sound job hopefully. We'll find out in about 7-8 days I guess.

Couple pics....

Well it is now 100% full and has been for the past 30 mins now and still all dry/no leaks. I also put a 730gph submersible pump into the tank to blow the water around against all the seams. Just as kind of a "real world" test like it will have when the filters are running. I don't want to speak too soon and jinx myself, but I am close to thinking my first reseal job might be a success.

I will say this though. Nothing is as nerve wracking as leak testing a tank that holds 2120lbs of water. Every little noise sent chills down my spine. The furnace room is right behind the tank area and when the heat clicked on .....well lets just say I almost leak tested my drawers!

O Yeah! The good stuff.
    Mbuna Addicted

Now the bad stuff...Update, after 15hrs of no leaks it ended up emptying about 200g of water in the basement around 4am Monday night. Unreal.

9. Default

Oh no sorry to hear

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

If I where you just get a new one. This is busy killing you softly mate. You are spending more and more. Sorry to hear.
    Mbuna Addicted

Man, that sucks.
    75 Gal
    1-Yellow Lab
    2-Blue Acei
    3-Blue Zebras
    5-Metriaclima Zebra (OB)
    lots of "Hybrids"
    1-Royal Pleco
    2 - Pictus Catfish

125 Gal
    Tropical Community tank
    2 - Pictus Catfish
    1-Synodontis Eupterus
    1-Synodontis Catfish
    2-Marble Plecos

Quote Originally Posted by SNAILOS View Post
    If I where you just get a new one. This is busy killing you softly mate. You are spending more and more. Sorry to hear.
    A new one would be way more money than just buying tubes of silicone. Not to mention this size tank weighs 500lbs empty so there's the issue of getting it up the stairs to get it out plus getting a new one back down the stairs (I paid $300 just to have four guys get this one down in one piece). Plus they don't make this size tank anymore and the cutout in the wall is made just for this size tank, so getting a new one isn't an option. The glass is fine it's just a silicone issue so no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I plan to strip it back out and reseal it once again. Only this time before I do I am going to try to somehow lift the tank so I can get a sheet of 3/4" closed cell foam under it so the foam will take up any irregularities that may be present over the 7ft span of the stand surface. Because the fact that it held water fine for 15hrs to start with is making me wonder if it might be a slight stand issue that caused it to weaken a seal over the course of 15 hrs.

hey steve, my tank is no where near your size (only 6' long) and i to used foam just in case (1/4'' thick). be real careful with 3/4'' thick as the weight will no doubt crush the foam where the frame meets it and it might put alot of presure on the glass being that thick. if frameless on the bottom then your probably fine. sorry to hear about leak, it has happend to me to and i had to do a re-seal myself
    "other than that, how was the play mrs. lincoln?"

Damn it man, sorry to hear that, keep the faith and keep us posted. Good Luck

Keep your chin up don't let it beat yah! will be cheering for success from here.
    There is something new to be learned everyday as long as we are open minded