Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The new project 265g 7ft tank/office

Yeah I used a brush to coat it. Lot of people that tried using it on backgrounds had trouble because the resin in pond armor is so thick, but if you thin it with 40% denatured alcohol then it makes it easy to apply plus it goes farther. Which is good because it's not cheap stuff. Costs $75 for 1.5 quarts

Well four complete tubes of GE silicone I* later and the whole background is now permanently installed. Making some real progress now. Hopefully my goal of having fish in it by Thanksgiving will be attainable still.

Also started working on the cave lights as well. Using the same style internal inverter cold cathode light bars on this one as I have my previous builds. Testing out the right side cave lights here.

Spent some time yesterday working in the filter room behind the tank getting it cleaned up so I have room behind the tank for easy tank maintenance and decided to build a stand for the dual filters. I always hate bending over to do maintenance on filters so I figured I'd make things a bit easier and get them up a bit higher so I built a stand for them using leftover wood and red oak that I had left from one of my 55g stand builds. Figure if I was gonna go to the trouble to make a filter stand then might as well make it nice even if it is hidden behind a wall ;D Also found a use for one of the spare 20G hood/light combos I have had laying around. Repurposed it it into a light over the filter table.

Wow that is really impressive work! The room alone is really amazing! What a cozy welcoming peaceful feel it has. You really have some talent Steve_C. Can't wait to see your tank completed and full of fish!

Well been waiting for this post for a while now, the past week I have most the "in tank" work done now. All that is left is the plumbing work, building the spraybars for the filters, adding two more 48" lights and adding four acentic bulbs, adding a pair of inline 300w heaters, and thats about it.

Here's the "done" pics. since the last I have done....150lbs of white sand, worm wood, and manzetia branches. I also added some fake plants.They are silk plants from Micheals and I did some brown/dark green shading to them with fusion paints just to make them look more realistic. I hate the plastic fake ones so I added silk ones which I bought from Micheals, then I cut them apart into smaller pieces, siliconed them together, added some dark green and brown fusion painted accents to add some lifelike look to them as well. Did much more, but I'll just post the pics and hope you enjoy the3 way it is. Hopefully in a few weeks the next time you see it there will be fish in it 8)

This has been 6-8 months of work, so hope you guys enjoy. If anyone is ever in area and wants to stop by, your more than welcome to come over, would love to have ya.

The next post should have water and FISH ;)

Last edited by Steve_C; 11-16-2013 at 01:54 AM.

I like how your decorating the inside of the tank.

Where do you get the wormwood from?

I've not had good luck with the silk plans from the pet store. They ended up falling apart in less than a year.
    Are the ones from Micheals any better?

And it looks awesome
    75 Gal
    1-Yellow Lab
    2-Blue Acei
    3-Blue Zebras
    5-Metriaclima Zebra (OB)
    lots of "Hybrids"
    1-Royal Pleco
    2 - Pictus Catfish

125 Gal
    Tropical Community tank
    2 - Pictus Catfish
    1-Synodontis Eupterus
    1-Synodontis Catfish
    2-Marble Plecos

Sooo did we make the deadline?
    75 Gal
    1-Yellow Lab
    2-Blue Acei
    3-Blue Zebras
    5-Metriaclima Zebra (OB)
    lots of "Hybrids"
    1-Royal Pleco
    2 - Pictus Catfish

125 Gal
    Tropical Community tank
    2 - Pictus Catfish
    1-Synodontis Eupterus
    1-Synodontis Catfish
    2-Marble Plecos

Happy b-day steve !!!!, wow the tank came out great ,cant wait for pics with fish !!!
    125 gallon male aulonocara peacocks
    125 gallon male haps.
    90 gallon grow out tank
    90 gallon demasoni,cyno,afra,hongi srt.
    90 gallon planted apisto.tank
    2-10 gallon med. quarintine tanks

THE ONLY TIME YOU SHOULD LOOK DOWN ON SOMEONE IS WHEN YOUR HELPING THEM UP !!!!!!

Looking great. And happy Bday Steve. Hope you enjoy it much.
    Mbuna Addicted

Thanks for the B days wishes guys.

FasTruckmonkey sorry for the delay in replying to your questions I have been swamped lately and haven't been on the site as much as normal over the past few weeks.

To answer your questions. Yep the silk plants from Micheal's last a good deal longer in my experience. I've had some in one of my other tanks for about 13 months now and they still look great. The worm wood I got from the local fish shop, they usually have a bin full of it the size I used in the tank and it ranges from $8-$10 per piece which is pretty good for how good it looks.

Missed the Thanksgiving deadline. Had to do the Christmas shopping for the family so that had to come first. I'm pretty much done with that though so now it's back to the tank. I just ordered one of the two Hydor inline 300w heaters I need so I'll probably order the other one right after Christmas and then all that I need is to buy about 6 liters of media, build the spray bars and then it'll be ready for water. So I'm thinking probably early early January it'll be filled with water and then fish right after I seed & cycle it then.

Steve

Figured it was time for an update. Well just got the first of the two 300w Hydor inline heaters delivered yesterday, and just placed and order for the 2nd one today which should be here by Dec 24th. There must be some issue with Hydor filling orders because the inline heaters are out of stock everywhere till Jan 20th, it took me a few days of searching to find a pair that were not double/triple normal price.

So once the other Hydor heater gets here then I can get my hoses, build the spraybars, and then just have to get the media and seed the filters and I can start filling with water then. Starting to get excited, won't be long now.

Did some work in the "filter room" behind the big tank/wall today. There's about a 8'x10' area behind the big tank and wall so I decided to move all the smaller tanks that were scattered in different locations of the basement and put them all behind the big tank wall so they would be all together and easier to clean as well as be a good location for hospital/quarantine/holding tanks for the big tank.

I also picked up a super nice 5.5"-6" OB today for the big tank so he's currently in a holding tank till the 265 is up and running. So now in the filter room is a 29g, 20gL, 20gL, 20gL, 10g.

Isn't he a beauty!!! Nice find
    There is something new to be learned everyday as long as we are open minded

Couple more fish in the holding tanks/quarantine until the big 265 is up and running in a couple weeks.

10" Venustus male

6" male Dimidiochromis compressiceps

I love how thin these fish look when they look directly at you straight on.

A Razor Blade which is built only for speed.
    Mbuna Addicted