Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The new project 265g 7ft tank/office

You are a very talented person. Great Job.

Still a ways to go, still shooting for water/fish by Thanksgiving though, but getting closer every day now. Said panels are now all done. Just have to pick up some "Pond Armor" to seal the whole background with and then I can final install the background and side panels for good. Next job will probably be framing the edges of the tank window with some nice finished wood and getting the "cave lights" hooked up.. Here's the current state of the tank/office. It's amazing that a 7ft long by 31" tall tank can actually look so much smaller in a picture lol

Really starting to look forward to getting this up and running now.

Picked up some 1x3 select grade pine the other day and got that all sanded smooth/stained and poly coated now and installed to add a nice finished look to the window for the tank.

Still have to pick up some Pond Armor so I can seal the whole background and then final install it into the tank but no where local carries it so looks like I am going to have to order that this week.

Just love what you are doing Mate
    Mbuna Addicted

Testing out my moonlight setup I am making for it now. After checking into "aquarium moonlights" from aquarium supply shops there was no way I was going to pay what they want for moonlights on a tank this big. So spent some time today running around testing out the brightness on different blue LED rope lights that stores have out for Christmas now and finally found two 15ft LED rope lights that are not only nice and bright, but LED so they will give me the shimmer effect, plus they are able to screw together end to end so once I make the light fixture for the T8 lights I will build these into the fixture as well. From the quick test I think they are going to be perfect from what I can tell.

Looks nice. Hope it brings the colors out from your fish when you will get them.
    Mbuna Addicted

Looking good Steve, real good

wow looking forward to the end product, how far are you from that btw?

Thanks guys. How far till the end? mmmmmm not 100% sure but my goal is to have water in it by Thanksgiving so we'll see how that goes. Just waiting now for the pond armor that I ordered to come in this week so I can seal the background and once I do that then I can permanently attach the background in the tank. Then I can add sand and rocks and wood and such. After that I do have some plumbing to do to make the spraybars and intakes for the dual FX5's, gotta get media still, build the fixture to attach the lights too because I plan to have a light unit I can raise and lower with pulleys over the tank. Cut some tops out of egg crate for the top of the tank, go back over and make sure it's re-leveled again....and some other things.

On 2nd thought Thanksgiving may be a pretty ambitious goal now that I actually see whats left written out lol

Do you mind posting what brand LED rope you bought?
    75 Gal
    1-Yellow Lab
    2-Blue Acei
    3-Blue Zebras
    5-Metriaclima Zebra (OB)
    lots of "Hybrids"
    1-Royal Pleco
    2 - Pictus Catfish

125 Gal
    Tropical Community tank
    2 - Pictus Catfish
    1-Synodontis Eupterus
    1-Synodontis Catfish
    2-Marble Plecos

The brand is called "Holiday Time" and I got them from Walmart $8.99 for the 15' length. They have a couple different brands at Walmart but the Holiday time brand is at least twice as bright as the other ones they had.

hey Steve, just a silly question, but too lazy at the moment to go to walmart and look, do they have the same strings in white?

Yep they have White, Blue, Red as well in that brand Parrothead.

I received my order of Pond Armor / Pond Shield the other day and after getting home from the fish auction yesterday I spent the evening coating the entire background with Pond Armor. For those that don't know what that is it's basically a clear 2-part epoxy that is used for sealing/waterproofing ponds so it is fish safe non toxic. What it does is it seals the background so that fish like plecos will not be able to damage it, algae should wipe right off easily, and should make the background extremely durable for years of use in the tank.

Getting ready to do the final install into the tank now in just a bit.

Cool, thanks Steve, I'm going to have to go check them out.

So you just coat it? Using a brush or something? Looking real good. Still think you'll get it done in time for thanksgiving?