Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The new project 265g 7ft tank/office

Little custom work to get the door to clear that vent?
    75 Gal
    1-Yellow Lab
    2-Blue Acei
    3-Blue Zebras
    5-Metriaclima Zebra (OB)
    lots of "Hybrids"
    1-Royal Pleco
    2 - Pictus Catfish

125 Gal
    Tropical Community tank
    2 - Pictus Catfish
    1-Synodontis Eupterus
    1-Synodontis Catfish
    2-Marble Plecos

Quote Originally Posted by FasTruckmonkey View Post
    Little custom work to get the door to clear that vent?

You got that right lol. It was either that or reroute the vent, and that wasn't gonna happen

Also did the pole at the bottom of the stairs to match the rock wall...

Still some more work to do but getting close to being done now with the room and close to being ready to start in the tank on the tanks background.

Well the office/ultimate Man Cave is almost complete........

WoW!! Congrats Man.
    It is all coming together.

Enjoy

10G Grow out
    75G African Rift lake Biotope
    210G Expecting Tank in August
    Mbuna Addicted

That is a seriously sweet man-refugium you've got coming together there!

Well here we go with the 7ft 3D background for this tank. Actually will end up being 11ft of 3D background when done because I amd doing both 2ft deep side panels as well so this will take awhile to complete this one.

I will do doing it in a total of five panels. Three panels will make up the 7ft across the back of the tank and then two panels will be the side panels.

This is the first of the three back panels roughed in. This tank will also incorporate 2 to 3 cave openings that will be backlit with blue cold cathode lighting like my other tanks.

So how is the tank part of your Man Cave/Office remodeling doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Davidpaul View Post
    So how is the tank part of your Man Cave/Office remodeling doing?
    Going pretty good now. Had a busy summer with lots of fishing trips and other stuff keeping me busy so took a few months break from the tank work but just started back on it again about 2 weeks ago. Here's the latest pics of the background I'm working on for it. Hope to have it ready for fish by maybe Thanksgiving.

Managed to get quite a bit done tonight. All three back panels are now carved and textured and have the first coat of drylock on them. Still have to build the two side panels to cover the sides of the tank but those will come after the back is all done that way I can integrate the filter intakes into the corners of the background and side panels to completely hide them all the equipment from view.

Couple shots of it mocked up in the tank now

Now I'm painting the whole thing black that way I can go back over it with dry-brushing drylok coat again and then start shading and highlighting. The black will stay in the crevasses and add to the 3 dimensional look of it.

That is a pretty wild transformation...
    Need to upload a cichlid photo? Check out the Cichlid Gallery, it is free and easy to use.
    Best of all, you don't have to leave this forum to access it!

Cichlid Gallery - Fin Rot Treatment - What Did You Do Today? - What Spawned For You Today?

Nikon D800 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 OS | Yongnuo YN-560II | Yongnuo RF-603 N3 | BrianStalterPhotography.com

Rolling along very well now after a ton of work today. two full coats of drylock and a coat of black over that on all three pieces. Then two dry-brushed coats of Drylok to give it the base rock color with black depressions. After that I did some more dry-brushing with dark brown to simulate some dirt, as well as some dark green to simulate some algae. Then dry-brushed some white highlights on all the edges and raised portions to make the rocks look worn so it give it some nice depth to the rocks.

Some pics of it mocked up in the tank

Also started working on the side panels which will hide the intake tubes for the dual FX5 filters. Once the side panels are done then all that will be left on the background will be to coat it all in Pond Armor 2 part epoxy which seals it to durability and then I can start working on the cave lighting, tank lighting and substrate etc etc. This big background was a lot of work but I'm very pleased with the way this one is coming out.

I have seen guys doing mold's on real rock to recreate the natural feel and look of rocks for 3d backgrounds. But this was done without a molding process and only from knowledge of how rock surfaces looks like. Very awesome stuff mate. allot of hard work I should say but if my work desk was staring like that straight into a tank then I would have done the hard yards to
    Mbuna Addicted

Thanks SNAILOS. Yeah I always like to carve them by hand rather than make molds/forms, just gives me a greater feeling of accomplishment when done I guess.

Been working on the side panels and some lighting tonight. This is the first side panel, as you can see from this pic taken from the rear of the side panel I'm building angled "rocks" which will have an opening behind them that will have the intake tube for the filters so it's all concealed with only the strainer of the intake open to the tank.

Here's the left side panel carved and the first coat of Drylok applied.

The lighting I am doing for this tank since it is an odd size will be four dual T8 48" fixtures mounted side by side and one in front of the other so it lights the entire nice well. I bought two of the fixtures today and currently have them filled with Daylight spectrum 6500k bulbs. Once I pick up two more fixtures and some actinic bulbs each of the fixtures will end up with one actinic and one 6500k in them.

Here's a shot with just two of the fixtures let up.

This is just simply stunning! I wish to someday be able to do something like this, but I can only dream at the moment.
    29g
    5 Labidochromis caeruleus
    1 bristlenose plecostomus

http://www.cichlidforums.com/knowled...una-Guide.html