Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20g x-tall angel tank with 3d background

Default 20g x-tall angel tank with 3d background

Well I was not planning on yet another project, nor tank for myself, but when a good friend called me this morning telling me his son was getting rid of his tank he had taken down a few months ago and was going to give it away free so did I want it?....well duh, of course I'll take it

So since he only lives a few blocks from me he dropped off this set up that was in much need of cleaning.

The stand had paint marks on it from from his grand kids and the tank itself was covered in dried on algae, but after some elbow grease and scrubbing it all cleaned up very nicely. Glass has zero scratches on it which is nice.

The background I'm doing for this one is super thin so it does not take up much room since there's not a ton of room to start with. After the background is done I an thinking of using some spray on type foam to make some round underwater "vines/roots" that will adhere flush to the background itself then paint the vines brown to give it a realistic SA type look.

Current state of tank

And where I decided to put it. Since the 265g is in the adjoining room which is my office I decided to rearrange a few things so I could have this tank in my work shop area so I can enjoy this one while I work at the bench since I spend so much time in this area.

First coat of drylok applied.

Not an easy set of dimensions to do something with - but you're off to a great start! how are you planning to fix the background in place? Have you thought of anchoring some twigs & vine-like things right into the background? I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Not too many people try to get creative with a tank this shape - they usually just look like tall boxes of water with fish...

It will be siliconed into place onto the back wall of the tank. I could probably find some thin twigs to use but I think I will first try a foam to do a sort of vine design onto the BG once I get the BG itself done, then paint the round vines to look more like a SA setting and just see how that goes. Mainly just because I like to make as much as I can myself for my tanks more than any other reason. If the foam doesn't look good then I'll just get some thin M.branches to use then.

Was at Royal Tropical today and picked up a nice young trio of Angels for this tank today. Figure by the time they are done with quarantine the tank will be ready for them. They are small right now, probably about 3" tall with a body about the size of a silver dollar coin. I liked the coloration of these three as well as the nice long tails so couldn't resist bringing them home. Also picked up some nice flat "spider wood" pieces for a really good price so going to just go ahead and incorporate these pieces into the background rather than make vines.

Got the BG paint work and all the shading & highlighting done now. Went with a light sand/tan color with gray and darker shaded area then white highlights on the tips & edges. Also mounted the branches directly to the background so it's all one piece.

tanks going to look great steve ,the angels have really nice coloration looks like another beautiful tank congrats.
    125 gallon male aulonocara peacocks
    125 gallon male haps.
    90 gallon grow out tank
    90 gallon demasoni,cyno,afra,hongi srt.
    90 gallon planted apisto.tank
    2-10 gallon med. quarintine tanks

THE ONLY TIME YOU SHOULD LOOK DOWN ON SOMEONE IS WHEN YOUR HELPING THEM UP !!!!!!

Background is siliconed into the tank now. Also picked up a couple more spiderwood branches to put on the bottom of the tank and then tie some plants to them. And picked up some various Anubias plants as well as some brwon/tan playsand which I think will mimic the Amazon bottom pretty nicely.

Tank is done and filled. I've had the filter running for the past week on an existing tank so it should be cycled and ready to put the angels in it with in a couple days I am expecting. After running for half the day with the wood and Indian Almond Catappa Leaves in it the PH is now steady at 6.6 which should be a very good level for the angels. I also like the tannic color the leaves give the water, very natural looking.

This was my first SA themed tank I have done, all my other have been Malawi themed, and for the first SA tank I am pretty pleased with the overall look of the tank. It's going to be nice having this tank right in the work shop where I spend so much of my time. Once the angels are in it I'll post a pic of them in their new home.

looks really nice steve the angels should really love it ,i also use the indian almond leaves and pete along with r/o water to keep my ph at 6.6 works very well as my tap water is 7.8 out of tap my gh is 4 and kh at 7 ,of course the co2 helps keep the ph down also,but i agree i love the dark water tint and my apistos and tetra really seem to be thriving there color has really been popping they were all breed in 7.4 ph but seem to really like the lower ph better. cant wait to see the pics of them in tank looks really nice another beautiful tank.
    125 gallon male haps.
    90 gallon grow out tank

THE ONLY TIME YOU SHOULD LOOK DOWN ON SOMEONE IS WHEN YOUR HELPING THEM UP !!!!!!

Thanks. Should have them in it with in a few days most likely. Since the filter has been running on another tank and I seeded the tank itself with bio squeezed from media into the tank it seems to be cycling rapidly. Dosed it with 1ppm ammonia last night and 24hrs later it is 0 ammonia and about .25 nitrite, so I think it will be just about ready in a few days. I've been adding some leaves and small wood pieces slowly to the holding tank the angels are in as well to lower the PH in there, that way they don't go right from 7.6PH to 6.6PH when they switch tanks. Gotta get back on the 265g project this week as well hopefully soon as I finish a 90g background for someone I've been working on. I'm dyin' to finally get that 265 up and running.

yeah steve i always run an extra 406 on my 125 gallon with matrix in it and when i start a new tank i just switch the baskets. ive got an fx5 and an fx6 running on it so i dont have to worry about the loss of bacteria. and i can start the tank right up works real well.yes ive been waiting to see the 265 up and running did you finnaly get the seals fixed?. i know that was being a pain last post i saw. also what about the ghostly looking head background you were going to do for a friend did you ever get a chance to do that one. that was pretty interesting looking, always a pleasure to view your work its top notch stuff.
    125 gallon male haps.
    90 gallon grow out tank

I got a piece of acrylic to make a patch for the 265 so just have to finish scraping and then reseal it in the next week or so. Never did get around to the one 3D project, I think we both somewhat forgot about it with everything else going on lol.

Tank is cycled and just finished moving over the fish to it. Currently it's home to three small angels, a cory cat that was not getting along with his tankmates, and a small brown BNP.

Nice looking home for them. The angelfish seem like a decent fit for that tank, providing they get along. Just curious, so that I can visualize them in there, what is the footprint?

20 x 24 x10. I'll be rotating the angels out and replace them with new small ones again once they get to almost adult size, that way they never get too big for the tank.