Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The new project 265g 7ft tank/office

Default The new project 265g 7ft tank/office

Well I've been waiting for my new tank to get here till I started this thread, now that it is here I figured I'd start a build thread for my latest project. I run a home based business building custom fly rods and since it has become a pretty successful business these last few years I have been wanting/needing to set up a home office for it. So I decided to build the office in the other side of the basement next to my workshop. Of course this meant adding a tank or else what sort of fish guy would I be? So I decided since it's the basement I would not have to worry about weight on the floor so I could go BIG. So today the tank and stand were delivered by the guys I hired to pick it up and bring it downstairs for me. Since I'm not as young as I use to be, have a bad shoulder (rotator cuff) and as hard as it is to get enough friends together at the same time, plus a truck to haul the big tank & stand in, and the fact that carrying 450lbs downstairs is not something I was looking forward to doing....I think hiring the guys to do it was the smartest move I have made in quite awhile.

I started by cleaning out the area where the future office will be built. I wish I had remembered to take a pic before I started because with years and years of "stuff" being stuck in the basement it was literally floor to ceiling and wall to wall. I ended up hauling 92 bags of junk out of the basement and to the curb. This picture is actually after 4 soild 8-10hr days of cleaning if you can believe that!

Then finally after about 2 weeks of work I had a clean slate to start with...

Then finally after months of waiting, due to trying to get everything set up and one thing after another not going right, today the tank was finally delivered.

265 gallon 7ft long x 2ft wide x 31" tall. By far the biggest tank I have ever owned.

Now the actual FUN stuff will be able to begin. Plans are to tear out the ceiling and install I nice new ceiling in the basement, then tear up and replace the floor. Then build a wall in front off the tank which the tank will be flush with the wall so it will be a built in tank where I can sit at my office desk in front of which will be nice. Plans also include drywalling the entire office and painting. Then if you guys remember either of my 55g tank builds with the 3D backgrounds I made and the cold cathode cave lighting I did? I plan to do a 7ft 3D background for this tank that also uses some cold cathode back lighting. Haven't decided "exactly" what style I plan to do yet, but I want it to hopefully blow away what I have done in the past is my hope. One twist I plan on doing which is a bit wild but if I pull it off right I think it will be pretty darn cool is this. Once I get the new wall erected where the tank will be built into, I plan on covering the entire wall with foam, shaping/drylocking/painting adding moss etc etc to it (think Batcave here lol). So basically the tank with it's rock background will be built flush into an entire wall that has the same rock background floor to ceiling.

I'll keep pics updated as I progress on this over the next couple months.

Subscribed ;)
    2,000+ gallons of underwater entertainment
    (Mostly Centrals & Tangs)

This is going to be bonkers. I just can't wait.

Enjoy

10G Amazon River Biotope
    65G African Rift lake Biotope
    146G Saving for Materials to Build
    Mbuna Addicted

sounds incredible steve cant wait to watch the progress, have you given any thought to what fish your going with?
    125 gallon male aulonocara peacocks
    125 gallon male haps.
    90 gallon grow out tank
    90 gallon demasoni,cyno,afra,hongi srt.
    90 gallon planted apisto.tank
    2-10 gallon med. quarintine tanks

THE ONLY TIME YOU SHOULD LOOK DOWN ON SOMEONE IS WHEN YOUR HELPING THEM UP !!!!!!

Yep it is going to be all Peacocks and haps, with some of the larger species of Haps such as Venustus and other ones that get to pretty good sizes.

sounds amazing +1 on the peacocks and haps. cant wait for updates
    125 gallon male aulonocara peacocks
    125 gallon male haps.
    90 gallon grow out tank
    90 gallon demasoni,cyno,afra,hongi srt.
    90 gallon planted apisto.tank
    2-10 gallon med. quarintine tanks

THE ONLY TIME YOU SHOULD LOOK DOWN ON SOMEONE IS WHEN YOUR HELPING THEM UP !!!!!!

Sweet!
    75 Gal
    1-Yellow Lab
    2-Blue Acei
    3-Blue Zebras
    5-Metriaclima Zebra (OB)
    lots of "Hybrids"
    1-Royal Pleco
    2 - Pictus Catfish

125 Gal
    Tropical Community tank
    2 - Pictus Catfish
    1-Synodontis Eupterus
    1-Synodontis Catfish
    2-Marble Plecos

Way to go Steve, following along with this

Been working on this project a bit now. Here's a couple pics before and then to the point I am at now today. Ended up scraping the floor to get all the nastiness off of it so I could lay the new floor on top of it. Couple before pics....
    '
    '
    '

The flooring I picked is somewhat of a slate/rustic look which should go nicely with the rest of the office once I get it done.

Still have some edge work and trim pieces to do but most the main floor is now done.

Doesn't look like much yet but have faith it will get there. Just started the first coats of paint on the walls yesterday. The upper and lower colors will be split with a 9" tall border I just ordered last night which is a leaping Rainbow trout. Celing is going to be 2x4's spaced 1/4" apart and stained for a rustic finish. Then the drain pipe I am going to build a wood cover for where the lower half will be DIY faux stacked rocks and wood varnished upper section.

Still have some trim work to do at the bottom but here is the rock/wood pillar I built to hide the drain pipe.
    '
    '
    '
    '

Drain cover is now done. Added lower trim wood to it and a urethane finish to all the wood surfaces to give it a nice clear coat shine. The trout boarder came in earlier than expected so started putting that up yesterday as well. Also installed a new T12 48" twin tube light next top the stairs. Picking up the drywall in just a little bit so I can start the other wall tonight.

Well got some major progress done today now. I'm dead tired from working on it all day long today. Probably won't get much more progress done now for a few days because I have about 4 rods to build this week before I leave Friday morning on a Steelhead fishing trip. But today I got the wall on the right drywall sheeted and filled, the frame and wall built around the tank now, and started on doing the rock wall surface on the tank wall.