Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Re: My F1 Psammochromis riponianus

1. Default

yes if he has the time. Nothing bothers me in that don't worry,yu don"t want to read the article I have, so yu'll have yur own opinion.I can't post it here. I send it freely if yu want,
    xris
    like a haplo in the water

2. Default

I got some infos from Lawrence who caught the fish in question, the fish was caught at Bugenga near Entebbe over a rocky patch in a sandy substrate so this fish should be called H.sp"Bugenga" if we really want to be precise.
    xris

now the problem is to get everyone on the band wagon.

BTW does he still have the wild caught adults

4. Default

Re I don't think so, he has 2 incubating females from another species If I'm correct.
    xris

thanx !!!!!

samaki, I just talked to Dr Paul V. Loiselle. He dove in Lake Victoria and has collected Psammochromis riponianus before the nile perch were introduced. He collected them on the sandy bottom in Bugenga and knows the fish very well . He aked me to send photos to him for identification.

7. Default

Good at least we will have a real scientific vue on it
    xris

Pvl2413@aol.com Tovrherps@yahoo.com Dear Vinnie,

Sorry to have taken so long to reply, but most of my Lake Victoria references were in storage at the Aquatrium and I was only able to retrieve them today. The shape of the head and the mouth of your fish are consistent with a Pammochromis. So are the pattern of dark bars on the flanks and the small egg-spots on the anal. The Ps. riponianus that I collected from Yacht Club Beach in Jinja had less orange and more blue on the flanks than your fish. They also gad a reddish anal fin and a rather broad red margin to the caudal fin. That said,, the coloration of widely distributed L. Victoria cichlids often differs in small ways from one locality to another - Pundamilia nyrerei comes to mind as an example of this phenomenon. Pending a thorough revision of Psammochromis, it is unclear whether these inter-populational differences in color pattern indicate that we are dealing with a complex of different species or a single rather variable species. I suggest that you simply refer to your fish has Psammochromis cf. riponianus followed by the collecting locality - if known.

Kwaheri!

Paul

9. Default

Ok that's his opinion, what makes me surprise is that the red flush on the flanks is not noticed neither by Greenwood nor Seehausen in any papers and that the general body shape is very far from those colected in Kenya and Mwanza gulf but if he said this , then it should be right.
    I will ask Olee Seehausen if he thinks that's the right fish.
    xris

10. Default

Here's the answer I received
    Christophe

This is very certainly NOT riponianus.

Best wishes

Ole

I beleive as Dr P.Loiselle said cf wich means that it looks like or has some features that look like the nominated species, and with the opinion of Dr Ole Seehausen that said that it's very certainly not this species, we can say that it's not the nominated H.riponianus but a species that has some features evoking it. Does it seems reasonable?

BTW Greg Steeves did look at the teeth and they are consistent with Psammochromis riponianus .

Bottom line it is either a locality morph of Psammochromis riponianus or another species Psammochromis . We know now that it is at least a Psammochromis so I will be calling my fish Psammochromis sp Bugonga untill they know what it is for sure

12. Default

I Don't agree as Ole Seehausen who fished this fish in many places told us that it is certainly not this species at all( no need to mention that this fish doesn't fit the description made by Greenwood either) so it is not wishable this fish be called P.riponianus. Ole is the reference in the matter, No one published so many works on field and laboritories so his opinion is largely knowledgeable and accurate and he's still working on victorian's haplochromines. He's the one who put ahead the locales varaitions among those cichlids so its point of vue is more than worthy
    xris
    just looking at teeth is not sufficient as riponianus and saxicola have a very similar tooth pattern.
    Last edited by samaki; 04-18-2013 at 12:36 AM.

13. Default

yes of course yu're right if we are really sure that it is a Psammochromis species. I'm a bit sceptikal about the use of Dr Greenwood genera because many species are intermediates in morphology between two genera, one species H.pharyngomylus shows some Labrochromis features mixed with some Psamochromis ones, so the use of this genus can be also questionable.
    xris
    may I Ask the moderator to erase my precedent post because I agree with VinMan and my post is not useful

Up Date!!!!

I have great news I asked Dr Loiselle if he mind looking at the Psammochromis riponianus to find weather it is a locality of Psammochromis riponianus or another species of Psammochromis and he said yes said. In about 2 months I will be sending him either a male or a pair for him to dissect . We will have a answer to what this fish really is because Dr Loiselle is going to do the work on the fish and not just look at a picture. I'm sending F2 stock from my f1 breeders