Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Open for Opinion

Noticed today while looking at my fry in my Grow out Tank that their was one Male from the Metriaclima Lombardoi colouring up a tint of orange. He is about 4cm. The colouring up comes and goes. His aggression at the moment is still placid and only directed at the other 8 Metriaclima Lombardoi juveniles. At the moment the Labidochromis Caereleus are growing the quickest.lol Feeding time is all what they are interested in. Noticed that the other two labs are showing signs of traits that I do not like. This is in regards to their shape and colour. Some features are not desired. Will keep you guys posted and thanks for reading. Any one with questions .I am open for discussion.

10G Amazon River Biotope
    65G Stand Finish. Now Hood
    146G Custom Build Tank Under Construction
    Mbuna Addicted

Did a bit of rock scaping to ad some more depth to the layout of the fry grow out tank. At the moment the species are not showing any heavy aggressiveness. The tank boss at the moment is a Labidochromis Caeruleus female. She is the biggest and patrols the whole rocky layout. No Males of the species has started to defend a territory yet.

10G Amazon River Biotope
    Mbuna Addicted

http://s1306.photobucket.com/albums/...psf955add5.jpg.
    I apologise for the picture quality. My real camera at the moment has a cable missing

10G Amazon River Biotope
    Mbuna Addicted

Very strange thing is happening at the moment. I have a Metriaclima Lombardoi Male colouring up as a juvenile with a tint of orange as I posted earlier. Now today as I was observing the Metriaclima Lombardoi colony that I have 9 in total another male is colouring up. Just for this post no aggression at all between these two males. Anybody on this forum with the same situation? For me as a first time having a Metriaclima Lombardoi colony of juveniles this is odd according to comments made by people on this forum.

10G Amazon River Biotope
    Mbuna Addicted

as juvies you wont see very much aggression but as they mature you will se more and more

As you go, you will also find out how many males you have. I wouldnt go past 2 males and rehouse the rest. One male will be your dominant while the other will be in there as a (hate to see it like this) dither fish. It will keep the aggression down on the females and keep the dominant male on its toes.

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbfishnjp View Post
    As you go, you will also find out how many males you have. I wouldnt go past 2 males and rehouse the rest. One male will be your dominant while the other will be in there as a (hate to see it like this) dither fish. It will keep the aggression down on the females and keep the dominant male on its toes.
    Thanks Ratherbfishnjp. I was thinking the same thing. Thought to myself give it a try. I have no experience with Metriaclima Lombardoi what so ever. but believe me I will take the breeding pair out which will be in a ratio one male to two females if the total group of nine is finished grown out. The group at the moment is ranging from the 1cm mark to 3 and a half. If the male that I am selecting shows what so ever a trace of ill temper I will get rid of the breeding pair and use it as a trade for other breeding pairs. The Iodotropheus Sprengerae colony of juveniles are going to be added to work through in the grow out tank as well Labidochromis Caeruleus and Pseudotropheus sp. Acei Yellow Tails from Ngara. I will be working them all as above mentioned through in the 65G grow out tank to obtain breeding stock as pairs. thanks for the advice. Will keep you updated on the colony as they mature to reflect on your knowledge with keeping Metriaclima Lombardoi.

10G Amazon River Biotope
    Mbuna Addicted

Just an update. I have officially algae starting to colonise on my rock formation So happy. I am striving for my 65G grow out tank to be looking natural. I feel that if you have a tank let's say for example a recovery tank that it should look like a natural tank setup. I do not like it with no substrate no rocks or no caves formed by rocks. I respect others opinion regarding this topic. Feel free to leave a comment. Ok back to the grow out tank. Besides the algae beginning to multiply I have brown algae as well. This is good stuff for Malawi Mbuna as we all know for most of them graze on algae most of their time during the day. They are heavy algae eating machines with regards to specimans for example your Metriaclima or Mayalandi Zebra variations. Creating a Tank with a natural look and feel with algae to it ads that feel of looking at a piece of the lake ripped out and placed into a confined space. Mbuna act more inclined to graze rather waiting for the next meal or defending a spawning site thus reducing interspecies aggression in the community tank setup. There is a very satisfying feeling looking towards a Aquarium having fishes grazing on the rocky layout. That is like looking at video material of the lake from a natural viewpoint rather looking at fish staring back at you thinking when is the next feeding time.lol just sad when the rocks are clean with nothing on it and a Labeotropheus Fuelleborni hurts its jaws trying instinctively to remove algae while there are not any.

10G Amazon River Biotope
    Mbuna Addicted

http://s1306.photobucket.com/albums/...psbda70304.jpg

The Good stuff

10G Amazon River Biotope
    Mbuna Addicted

My power head stopped working this morning. It is over 6 years old. Made a rattling noise when it was running. Flat dead with no noise at all this morning. So I went and got myself a extra filter which was broken in terms of cabling. Fixing it at the moment.
    Species currently growing out is:

Synodontis Njassae
    Labidochromis Caeruleus
    Metriaclima Lombardoi
    Pseudotropheus elongatus Mbenji

10G Amazon River Biotope
    Mbuna Addicted

how are the Metriaclima Lombardoi doing with the Labidochromis Caeruleus?

Quote Originally Posted by pfoster74 View Post
    how are the Metriaclima Lombardoi doing with the Labidochromis Caeruleus?
    At the moment ok. The Labidochromis Caeruleus are growing far more quicker than the Metriaclima Lombardoi. They are at the moment twice the size. The Lombardoi's do not try to push them around. The conflict at the moment in the community is internal with the Lombardoi's there are a daily shuffle in the social ranks. There are two Lombardoi's that are at the bottom of the food chain, because they get pushed away at feeding time. They are very small and do not grow at the speed of the others. The two Males from the Lombardoi's are sizing each other up but the biggest one is the less aggressive one. The smaller male he is the aggressive type. I like the bigger one because he shows some good manners. There where a lip lock session between my Elongatus Mbenji yesterday and to my surprize the whole Lombardoi colony came and stopped the fight by swimming in front of the aggressors and blocking each other of. Very interesting and nice to know that the peacemakers are holding the community together and they are Lombardoi's.

10G Amazon River Biotope
    Mbuna Addicted

Quote Originally Posted by SNAILOS View Post
    At the moment ok. The Labidochromis Caeruleus are growing far more quicker than the Metriaclima Lombardoi. They are at the moment twice the size. The Lombardoi's do not try to push them around. The conflict at the moment in the community is internal with the Lombardoi's there are a daily shuffle in the social ranks. There are two Lombardoi's that are at the bottom of the food chain, because they get pushed away at feeding time. They are very small and do not grow at the speed of the others. The two Males from the Lombardoi's are sizing each other up but the biggest one is the less aggressive one. The smaller male he is the aggressive type. I like the bigger one because he shows some good manners. There where a lip lock session between my Elongatus Mbenji yesterday and to my surprize the whole Lombardoi colony came and stopped the fight by swimming in front of the aggressors and blocking each other of. Very interesting and nice to know that the peacemakers are holding the community together and they are Lombardoi's.

10G Amazon River Biotope
    very interesting i have a colony of Metriaclima Lombardoi as well. i have had bad luck with many males. still working on getting a harem. may rehome some males tomorrow. i have read the kenyi are hard on the electric yellow due to color similiarities with the males. if this works well long term keep me updated. Labidochromis Caeruleus belong in every tank if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by pfoster74 View Post
    very interesting i have a colony of Metriaclima Lombardoi as well. i have had bad luck with many males. still working on getting a harem. may rehome some males tomorrow. i have read the kenyi are hard on the electric yellow due to color similiarities with the males. if this works well long term keep me updated. Labidochromis Caeruleus belong in every tank if possible.
    That's true about Labidochromis Caeruleus. I was thinking the same thing regarding the Lombardoi's. I want a 1M 1F or 2F ratio. That's all then just remove the rest. If I get another breeding trio I would probably sell them.

10G Amazon River Biotope
    Mbuna Addicted

So I did some maintenance today. Got rid of some nasty stuff in the substrate of the tank. It gave me a reason as well to remove the two Labidochromis Caeruleus juveniles that I do not like. I did bought them from a separate dealer. The guy told me that they are Labs but they had an orange tint to them. And guess what guys?they where in a mix african tank. lol. Later on I looked and noticed that they are a mix hybrid between Labs and a red zebra. The other Labidochromis Caeruleus Labs that I have are from a respectable breeder that breeds with pure stock. I have seen the parent fish. So I am going to get rid of those two hybrids and get some new labs. The rusty's and Acei's are in the pipeline as well. Will keep you guys posted. At the Moment are thinking about swapping Acei's for Afra lion's.

10G Amazon River Biotope
    Mbuna Addicted