Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Open for Opinion

U are very lucky. Are your stock aggressive? I've researched that Pseudotropheus Flavus are prone for aggressiveness. Most elongated Pseudotropheus types are because they need to defend their feeding territory energetically. The reason for this is their evolution of their jaw and teeth that allows only them to eat on a very certain type of grazed Biocover. They do consume plankton in the water column as well.

10G Amazon River Biotope
    65G Stand Finish. Now Hood
    146G Custom Build Tank Under Construction
    Mbuna Addicted

Quote Originally Posted by SNAILOS View Post
    U are very lucky. Are your stock aggressive? I've researched that Pseudotropheus Flavus are prone for aggressiveness. Most elongated Pseudotropheus types are because they need to defend their feeding territory energetically. The reason for this is their evolution of their jaw and teeth that allows only them to eat on a very certain type of grazed Biocover. They do consume plankton in the water column as well.

10G Amazon River Biotope
    i haven't found them to be any more aggressive than any other species. my Labidochromis caeruleus and Metriaclima estherae (Blue) can beat the flavus in any dispute if they are smiliar size. the male usually holds his territory without alot of issues. they are very active breeders. i have 2 tanks with flavus because i wanted to separate the 2 dominant males. males have a nice display but the females are rather drab. he can be hard on his females will take bites out of their fins from time to time. i have a big harem to keep him busy with his girls. i have noticed i have a small male coming up. the dominant male has been tolerating him so far.

Awesome stuff. Got myself today a pair of Pseudotropheus sp "Elongatus Usisya" 1 male and one female. Thought to myself hell if I want to make room for a elongatus specie well get some. I was lucky to find a couple available. let's hope when they grow up they will kiss and make up. They are very small at the moment. I want to take some pics but the stock I have at the moment is so small. Got myself a Colony of Metriaclima Lombardoi 8 individuals. All juveniles.. The Flavus male that is tolerating the small male .Are they related? Sounds like a father son relationship.lol

10G Amazon River Biotope
    Mbuna Addicted

Awesome stuff. Got myself today a pair of Pseudotropheus sp "Elongatus Usisya" 1 male and one female. Thought to myself hell if I want to make room for a elongatus specie well get some. I was lucky to find a couple available. let's hope when they grow up they will kiss and make up. They are very small at the moment. I want to take some pics but the stock I have at the moment is so small. Got myself a Colony of Metriaclima Lombardoi 8 individuals. All juveniles.. The Flavus male that is tolerating the small male .Are they related? Sounds like a father son relationship.lol

10G Amazon River Biotope
    those Pseudotropheus sp "Elongatus Usisya are nice looking fish. are they similiar to Pseudotropheus flavus in aggression level? i would be on the lookout for some more females for him to help spread out his aggression. good luck with your new additions. i assume these fish are for your bigger tank. the flavus are most likely father son. had a fair amount of fry survive and are reaching decent size now.

Yes you are right. When the big one is done all are going to be moved. From what I have observed at the moment these two are very peaceful but they are still juveniles. I am going to use the 65G which houses them at the moment as a grow out tank. Regarding the Flavus I did had as well a father Metriaclima Zebra letting his son create a spawning site like next to him. That was so awesome because normally you know it is like full out war gunz blazing.lol At the end one is drifting dead at the top of the tank. They shared a Harem of 10-12 females. It was my second best setup I ever did had. Mis it thou. I have ordered a sheet of perspex to be made for me and I have heard about LED strips. So I will be posting pictures soon on the development of the canopy for the 65G. Do you have grow out tanks?

10G Amazon River Biotope
    Mbuna Addicted

Yes you are right. When the big one is done all are going to be moved. From what I have observed at the moment these two are very peaceful but they are still juveniles. I am going to use the 65G which houses them at the moment as a grow out tank. Regarding the Flavus I did had as well a father Metriaclima Zebra letting his son create a spawning site like next to him. That was so awesome because normally you know it is like full out war gunz blazing.lol At the end one is drifting dead at the top of the tank. They shared a Harem of 10-12 females. It was my second best setup I ever did had. Mis it thou. I have ordered a sheet of perspex to be made for me and I have heard about LED strips. So I will be posting pictures soon on the development of the canopy for the 65G. Do you have grow out tanks?

10G Amazon River Biotope
    earlier today i bought another 75g. so i will be transferring fish from 55g to 75g. and i am gonna keep the 55g as a hospital tank. my Labeotropheus trewavasae are probably an inch to inch and a half. they are in 75g with everything from similiar sized fish of other species to full grown adults. that said they are doing fine and are generally left in peace. i singled them out because they are the only species i have that are all only juveniles at this point. i have no plans to move them to the 55g at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by pfoster74 View Post
    earlier today i bought another 75g. so i will be transferring fish from 55g to 75g. and i am gonna keep the 55g as a hospital tank. my Labeotropheus trewavasae are probably an inch to inch and a half. they are in 75g with everything from similiar sized fish of other species to full grown adults. that said they are doing fine and are generally left in peace. i singled them out because they are the only species i have that are all only juveniles at this point. i have no plans to move them to the 55g at this time.
    Lol. I was thinking that you would use the 55G for like another Mbuna setup. From the 7 Labidochromis Caeruleus I netted two males. I am going to swap them Monday for other Labs. I am currently scanning all the juviniles that I have that grow out for Males and then keep the females and the Male that I want a strain from. It is nice to start with Juveniles because then one have allot of options.

10G Amazon River Biotope
    Mbuna Addicted

Lol. I was thinking that you would use the 55G for like another Mbuna setup. From the 7 Labidochromis Caeruleus I netted two males. I am going to swap them Monday for other Labs. I am currently scanning all the juviniles that I have that grow out for Males and then keep the females and the Male that I want a strain from. It is nice to start with Juveniles because then one have allot of options.

10G Amazon River Biotope
    originally i was gonna sell that tank but my wife was telling me i could set it up in the dining room. i wouldn't mind a Hemichromis guttatus (jewel) tank. but i haven't decided yet what i'm gonna do. good luck with your Labidochromis Caeruleus.

Thanks Man. Yesterday I got a hold of a dealer that sells Iodotropheus "rusties" at 40 mm for R19.50. How much is the dollar to the rand? That's for you like penny's. I am very lucky to have a wife that loves aquariums. She has her own. That is why I had the nod to go forth with the big 146G tank.lol

10G Amazon River Biotope
    Mbuna Addicted

10. Default

So how many rustys did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by epiccichlid2013 View Post
    So how many rustys did you get?
    I am looking for a colony of 10 Juveniles. First I have to find out the courier cost. I have to organise to let the group be picked up as well. I am living at a coastal town which is Hermanus. The breeder of the rusty's is in another province. In America that means another state.lol So the courier can only bring them to Cape Town which is the nearest City and then I need to fetch them after driving 100 Km. But is going to be worth it. I have searched everywhere hi and low for F1 fry but no luck. In South-Africa things work a little bit different.lol

10G Amazon River Biotope
    Mbuna Addicted

Today I swapped two Labidochromis Caeruleus juvenile males for 1 juvenile Metriaclima Lombardoi and 1 juvenile Pseudotropheus sp "Elongatus Usisya". At the moment I am checking the stock for any females when they grow out to keep. The Pseudotropheus sp "Elongatus Usisya" that I swapped for has shown some male behaviour but look like a female to me. Just needs to grow out a little bit more. All juveniles are at 1-4 cm. At the moment I am using the 65G as a grow out tank.
    The canopy situation is at a stand still because the dealer which is customising my perspex sheet for the hood cover is stalling. I have received today a solar max LED strip plus stand for the Hood. When the hood is going to be finished it will be on top op the perspex sheet.

Growing out Juvenile Stock includes:

Synodontis Njassae 1 individual
    Pseudotropheus sp. "Elongatus Usisya"
    1 Males and 2 females
    Labidochromis Caeruleus "Lions Cove" Possible 2 males and 3 submissive sex unknown
    Metriaclima Lombardoi
    10 juveniles. sex unknown males not colouring up yet.

The Metriaclima Lombardoi are going to be replaced by the Iodotropheus Sprengerae. I want to keep 1 male and 2 females. I am looking for any signs of strong aggression under them to remove those with those character traits. And keeping the ones with the least aggressiveness.

10G Amazon River Biotope
    Mbuna Addicted

Default Open for Opinion

Mbuna Addicted

looks great! free is even better

Everything I received was for free and was build from scratch. I just want to thank the Lord for his Patience with me. The Fish was the only cost involved. Today I installed a powerhead into the Tank for water currents and from a Bio-Logical point of view. lol The final Aquascaping was done as well.Will post pics soon. Received a quote from a friend who has a Hatchery. In about +- 2 to 3 weeks I will receive "Acei" Ngara and Lab fry getting 10 each. They will grow out in my current 65G grow out tank to be sexed and for me to get my ratio's correct for my 146G. The 146G is going to take a while but it will be functioning in about 11 months time. Money is needed for the glass. I will be assembling the tank with hands and allot of sillicone. But it will be worth it. The stand will be bought. May be for free.lol

Will keep you guys posted.
    Thanks for reading.

10G Amazon River Biotope
    Mbuna Addicted