Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Open for Opinion

That is what I was thinking about. The factor of propagating Hybrids between those two peaceful Labidochromis species. The Positives where that they do not resemble in colour, that they are very peaceful, weak in keeping territory by defending it and that they roam the habitat allot searching for food as they are Insectivorous : "Iodotropheus are normally found on their own or in very small groups. Males are not territorial but may chase conspecifics from the feeding site. The Herbivorous Labidochromis (e.g. L. freibergi, L. gigas, and L.sp. "Hongi") are territorial , but the insectivorous species (e.g. L.pallidus, L.chisumulae,and L.caeruleus) roam through the habitat searching for prey. Both males and females of the latter group may chase conspecifics from the feeding site." Add Konings:Malawi Cichlids 2nd Edition. Due to the facts that they resemble each other allot in form and Genus will be the reason that they could Hybridize. The locations where they are located in the lake is maby the reason why they did not hybridized yet. Labidochromis Caeruleus are located at the western coast between Charo and Chizi Point and on the eastern coast between Cape Kaiser and Lumbaulo. On the other hand Labidochromis Chisumulae are located endemic only to Chizumulu Island .Thus stating that in nature they are not contacting each other. Thanks for that possibility. I have taken it into consideration and are going to keep Labidochromis Chisumulae out of the group that I am working on. Any suggestions on other species?
    Mbuna Addicted

Quote Originally Posted by SNAILOS View Post
    That is what I was thinking about. The factor of propagating Hybrids between those two peaceful Labidochromis species. The Positives where that they do not resemble in colour, that they are very peaceful, weak in keeping territory by defending it and that they roam the habitat allot searching for food as they are Insectivorous : "Iodotropheus are normally found on their own or in very small groups. Males are not territorial but may chase conspecifics from the feeding site. The Herbivorous Labidochromis (e.g. L. freibergi, L. gigas, and L.sp. "Hongi") are territorial , but the insectivorous species (e.g. L.pallidus, L.chisumulae,and L.caeruleus) roam through the habitat searching for prey. Both males and females of the latter group may chase conspecifics from the feeding site." Add Konings:Malawi Cichlids 2nd Edition. Due to the facts that they resemble each other allot in form and Genus will be the reason that they could Hybridize. The locations where they are located in the lake is maby the reason why they did not hybridized yet. Labidochromis Caeruleus are located at the western coast between Charo and Chizi Point and on the eastern coast between Cape Kaiser and Lumbaulo. On the other hand Labidochromis Chisumulae are located endemic only to Chizumulu Island .Thus stating that in nature they are not contacting each other. Thanks for that possibility. I have taken it into consideration and are going to keep Labidochromis Chisumulae out of the group that I am working on. Any suggestions on other species?
    i'm confused now are you stocking Labidochromis Caeruleus and Labidochromis Chisumulae? along with the Iodotropheus sprengerae and Pseudotropheus acei? i still think the Cynotilapia Afra Lion's Cove you have access to would be a nice 5th species in there assuming you are going to stock the other 4.

Quote Originally Posted by pfoster74 View Post
    i'm confused now are you stocking Labidochromis Caeruleus and Labidochromis Chisumulae? along with the Iodotropheus sprengerae and Pseudotropheus acei? i still think the Cynotilapia Afra Lion's Cove you have access to would be a nice 5th species in there assuming you are going to stock the other 4.
    First things First. Thanks for replying. I believe we are on the same page. Yes that was what I was asking you about. You mentioned may be the fact of them Hybridizing. I looked into it and yes it is possible. But they would look Blissfully together because of the colours of the bright yellow and the blue with black bars. But you where right. The Cynotilapia Afra Lion's cove is an option. I am just thinking in terms of aggression and territorial disputes. I would like to have only a peaceful setup.
    Mbuna Addicted

First things First. Thanks for replying. I believe we are on the same page. Yes that was what I was asking you about. You mentioned may be the fact of them Hybridizing. I looked into it and yes it is possible. But they would look Blissfully together because of the colours of the bright yellow and the blue with black bars. But you where right. The Cynotilapia Afra Lion's cove is an option. I am just thinking in terms of aggression and territorial disputes. I would like to have only a peaceful setup.
    But you know that chisumulae females are drab, right?
    Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days.

-Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by colorblizzle View Post
    Got her by the proverbial balls for once lol

Quote Originally Posted by metricliman View Post
    But you know that chisumulae females are drab, right?
    Thanks for your opinion.
    Mbuna Addicted

I'd go with Ps. Acei, Iodotropheus Sprengerae, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Labeotrophues Fuelleborni, and C. Afra. I feel that will be your best bet for the biggest difference in species, and least in general agression and possibilty of hybridization.

Quote Originally Posted by DrgRcr View Post
    I'd go with Ps. Acei, Iodotropheus Sprengerae, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Labeotrophues Fuelleborni, and C. Afra. I feel that will be your best bet for the biggest difference in species, and least in general agression and possibilty of hybridization.
    yeah the fulleborni add an element of excitement to your tank imo. always on the move i love them

Quote Originally Posted by DrgRcr View Post
    Thanks Man!
    I am going to take your list and then work on it. Research will share some light on them going together as a Community. I would love to work with Labeotropheus Fuelleborni again. The Males have some nice looking colour variations. The females as well
    Mbuna Addicted

Hey Drgracr... that setup sounds familiar!!! Isnt that what you have going in yours! how ya been!!

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbfishnjp View Post
    Hey Drgracr... that setup sounds familiar!!! Isnt that what you have going in yours! how ya been!!
    Nice Drgracr Got some Pics?

10G Amazon River Biotope
    80G Finished Repairing Building Stand
    146G Custom Build Tank Under Construction
    Mbuna Addicted

i woke up yesterday and my 75gallon had dumped 5 gallons on the floor so i had to go buy a new tank yesterday i tried to repair a leaker tank 20 years ago and failed miserably so i'm not real confident i will have any different results this time. sounds like you are expert on fixing tanks snailos i wish i lived by ya i would pay you to fix it lol

Default Open for Opinion

i woke up yesterday and my 75gallon had dumped 5 gallons on the floor so i had to go buy a new tank yesterday i tried to repair a leaker tank 20 years ago and failed miserably so i'm not real confident i will have any different results this time. sounds like you are expert on fixing tanks snailos i wish i lived by ya i would pay you to fix it lol
    Sorry to hear. I always go and double check what I am doing. Meaning if I am fixing or repairing. Worst case scenario. lol
    I am not an expert on repairs but I know a trick or two. One is to buy glass strips shaped out according to the crack in the tank if it is repairable. And then a hell of allot of Aquatic silicone. The more the better the results. Their is allot of info on the web about fixing broken Aquariums. My big project is halted. The reason why is the mm of Glass that I need to have is more than what I researched on. Close hey. Just Imagine filling it up. The rest is history.LoL

10G Amazon River Biotope
    80G Busy with stand.
    Mbuna Addicted

Sorry to hear. I always go and double check what I am doing. Meaning if I am fixing or repairing. Worst case scenario. lol
    I am not an expert on repairs but I know a trick or two. One is to buy glass strips shaped out according to the crack in the tank if it is repairable. And then a hell of allot of Aquatic silicone. The more the better the results. Their is allot of info on the web about fixing broken Aquariums. My big project is halted. The reason why is the mm of Glass that I need to have is more than what I researched on. Close hey. Just Imagine filling it up. The rest is history.LoL

10G Amazon River Biotope
    80G Busy with stand.
    sounds like you need scotty from star trek 4 to make some of that custom thin glass for you

sounds like you need scotty from star trek 4 to make some of that custom thin glass for you
    Lol Yeah. We are running out of time Scotty.LoL What do you suggest would work in terms of Glass for a 180CM - 60CM-60CM? LOL O yeah finish my stand today for my 80G.

10G Amazon River Biotope
    80G Stand Finished. Now Hood
    Mbuna Addicted

Lol Yeah. We are running out of time Scotty.LoL What do you suggest would work in terms of Glass for a 180CM - 60CM-60CM? LOL O yeah finish my stand today for my 80G.

10G Amazon River Biotope
    80G Stand Finished. Now Hood
    i have no idea