Page 1 of 52 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Open for Opinion

Default Open for Opinion

Hi Guys

Just want to think what your thoughts are. I am busy with a custom build setup. It is a 168 G Breeder. I am going to add 3 species.

Labidochromis Caeruleus
    1M 4F
    Iodotropheus Sprengerae
    1M 4F
    Pseodotropheus SP "Acei"
    1M 4F

I am open for any suggestions on what other species would work as well. What is the Rule of thumb for how many water you need to provide for a fish according to its size? I have heard about two or three ratios but do not know which one is the correct one.
    Mbuna Addicted

168 gallon breeder?

The Tank Setup is a Custom Build.
    60cm . 60cm . 180cm
    Mbuna Addicted

Id love to see a pic of this tank!! Could you post a pic of it? For a tank that size... you can do a lot more than what you have listed! What is one that you absolubtly must have and we can go from there.

If my math is correct, it seems like a 6'x2'x2' tank. If you like the 3 groups you listed, up the numbers to 8-10 of each. Two more mbuna species can work well in that size tank. Let them grow together and then make your ratios they way you want. Sometimes it's not even necessary if there is harmony in your tank. But with more to start with, you have a better chance of making it right. I am partial to the Afra types, so that would be one species I would have if it were mine. Do a little more research and come up with other species you like. Post them here and then we can say which may or may not be OK, and why. A group of 6-8 Synodontis Multipunctatus catfish would round it out nicely, and keep unwanted fry under control.

The Tank is still under construction. Going today to have a look at the Material that I am going to use to build the frame of the Aquarium. It is recycled material mostly plastic and wood compressed into slabs. Very strong and durable. I can choose between having a brown,black or dark green colouring. I am going to assemble it myself. The Tank on the inside will be sealed of with a drylock cement to stop the leaching of the recycled mediums. That is my second step after assembling the pieces.

I did some research on the suppliers in South Africa. There are three respectable farms breeding with Ornamental Fish. The Best One is Aquaterra or commonly know as fish etc. The guy has hand reared fry that are F3. What type of Aulonocara specie would function in a biotope setup with the above mentioned guys in a 168G Breeder?
    Mbuna Addicted

Ok have a list of species available.

Aulonocara Baensci
    Aulonocara Dragonblood
    Aulonocara Lwanda Hai Reef
    Aulonocara Maleri
    Aulonocara Ngara
    Aulonocara OB

Melanochromis Simulans
    Metriaclima Callainos Chindunga
    Metriaclima Esterae Minos Reef
    Metriaclima Albino OB Red Top
    Metriaclima Albino Red Top
    Metriaclima Aurora Nkolongwe

Metriaclima Black Dorsal Maleri
    Metriaclima Estherae OB Minos Reef
    Metriaclima Hajomaylandi
    Metriaclima Lombardoi Mbenji Island
    Metriaclima Mbamba Mphanga
    Metriaclima Membe Deep

Metriaclima Nakantenga Orange
    Metriaclima Red Top Galiraya
    Metriaclima Red Top Mbenji OB
    Metriaclima Red Top Mbenji
    Metriaclima Zebra Blue Gallireya Reef

Copadichromis Quads Mbenji Island
    Copadichromis Trewavasse Chizumulu
    Copadichromis Verdujni
    Cynotilapia Afra Lion
    Cytocara Moorii
    Labidochromis Caeruleus
    Labidochromis Caeruleus Ruarwe
    Labidochromis Caeruleus Nkhata Bay White
    Labidochromis Chizumulae
    Labidochromis Hongi
    Labeotropheus Fulleborni Katale
    Melanochromis Dialeptos

Mchenga Thinos Chindunga
    Melanochromis Auratus Albino
    Melanochromis Auratus
    Melanochromis Cyanohabdos Maingano Island
    Melanochromis Lepidophage Albino Eccles Reef
    Melanochromis Lepidophage

Metriaclima Zebra Gold Lions Cove
    Mylochromis Incola
    Placidochromis Electra Likoma
    Protomelas Steveni Imperial Gome
    Protomelas Ornatus
    Protomelas Steveni Imperial Ikhata Bay

Pseudotropheus Saulosi
    Pseudotropheus Acei Luwala Reef
    Pseudotropheus Demasoni
    Pseudotropheus Elongatus Chailosi
    Pseudotropheus Elongatus Mpanga
    Pseudotropheus Elongatus Chiwere
    Pseudotropheus Elongatus Mara
    Pseudotropheus Elongatus Usisya
    Pseudotropheus Polit
    Pseudotropheus Pulpican
    Tropheops Red Cheek Likoma

All of the above species are available and close to me.
    Mbuna Addicted

I have some Pics on the custom tank which is going to be build by me.
    Mbuna Addicted

These are the Pics. The First one is the recycled plastic and wood moulded media that will be used to build the Tank with. The second pics is how the stand will look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tapaupload0.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	3.0 KB 
ID:	21802  
    Mbuna Addicted

No pics are showing

your labs rusties and acei arent killers. in a tank that size with the species you have listed you should have no problem housing more than 1 male per species. if it were my tank i would add 8 to 10 Labeotropheus Fulleborni Katale for sure. also take a look at Cynotilapia Afra Lion. stock a couple males per species with 8 females or so and you should have a fun tank.

Quote Originally Posted by pfoster74 View Post
    your labs rusties and acei arent killers. in a tank that size with the species you have listed you should have no problem housing more than 1 male per species. if it were my tank i would add 8 to 10 Labeotropheus Fulleborni Katale for sure. also take a look at Cynotilapia Afra Lion. stock a couple males per species with 8 females or so and you should have a fun tank.
    Thanks for the suggestion. In my previous experiences that I did had with Labeotropheus Fulleborni and Cynotilapia Afra lion, contains the fact that I did bred Labeotropheus Fulleborni succesfully in a Species Only setup. On the other hand Cynotilapia Afra Lion is one specie I did not had the opportunity to work with. Thanks for the suggestion. I am looking into the fact of combining Labidochromis Chisumulae with Labidochromis Caeruleus in the Biotope with the other two namely Iodotropheus Sprengerae and Pseudotropheus Sp "Acei". What is your opinion? I am thinking the females and males of both species do not look the same in colour. Interspecies competition between these to will be not that hectic. What is your thought on that? I did some research on Labidochromis Species and came upon a article which was "Labidochromis, The Dwarf Mbuna. By
    Paul V. Loiselle, 1980"My findings where: "Any of the smaller mbuna will make suitable tank-mates for Labidrochromis. The various Cynotilapia seem to do quite well in their company, as does the Rusty Cichlid, Iodotropheus sprengerae. Paradoxically, one often finds that Labidochromis are much more inclined to hide when given a tank of their own than when housed in a community situation."Paul V. Loiselle 1980. Is their a factor that they maby would hybridize with each other?
    Mbuna Addicted

Quote Originally Posted by SNAILOS View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. In my previous experiences that I did had with Labeotropheus Fulleborni and Cynotilapia Afra lion, contains the fact that I did bred Labeotropheus Fulleborni succesfully in a Species Only setup. On the other hand Cynotilapia Afra Lion is one specie I did not had the opportunity to work with. Thanks for the suggestion. I am looking into the fact of combining Labidochromis Chisumulae with Labidochromis Caeruleus in the Biotope with the other two namely Iodotropheus Sprengerae and Pseudotropheus Sp "Acei". What is your opinion? I am thinking the females and males of both species do not look the same in colour. Interspecies competition between these to will be not that hectic. What is your thought on that? I did some research on Labidochromis Species and came upon a article which was "Labidochromis, The Dwarf Mbuna. By
    Paul V. Loiselle, 1980"My findings where: "Any of the smaller mbuna will make suitable tank-mates for Labidrochromis. The various Cynotilapia seem to do quite well in their company, as does the Rusty Cichlid, Iodotropheus sprengerae. Paradoxically, one often finds that Labidochromis are much more inclined to hide when given a tank of their own than when housed in a community situation."Paul V. Loiselle 1980. Is their a factor that they maby would hybridize with each other?
    after i said Labeotropheus Fulleborni mine are marmalade or orange blossom where the ones you are looking at i think are blue. i didn't think about that when i suggested it. plus they may be a little less peaceful than what you are looking for. the mix you listed should be fine together. youy have a high probablity of the Labidochromis Chisumulae cross breeding with the Labidochromis Caeruleus. if that isn't a concern i think you will have a beautiful tank.
    Last edited by pfoster74; 01-12-2013 at 05:47 AM.