Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catfish bloodshot eyes, and really puffy!

Default Catfish bloodshot eyes, and really puffy!

What is wrong with my catfish's eyes. I got it from my LPS. I put it in my tank.. its been in here since tuesday.. living fine. I have a similar catfish this one that is sick is a bristlenose and the other one is another kind.. I am not to sure yet.. the sick one is about 4" and the other one was about 1" and is about 2.5" now.. anyways

Heres a photo?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0919[1].jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	21466
    yesterday..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0901[1].jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	21467
    After I bought fish..

Now both eyes are enlarged..

http://www.kissyourfish.com/Pop-Eye.htm

I have found articles like this but i'd like someones opinion who has had the problem. I have no money for a while to buy any medications.. I just spent 100$ on my tank this week.. (Fish and a new filter)..

eskemo my suggestion would be to do water changes popeye is ussally a product of poor water quality,if it were mine i would treat with maracyn 2 since you said you dont have the money to get medicine you can try using epsom salt with water changes ,ive read of people curing popeye with epsom salt and water changes,if this is in fact popeye,are the fishes fins clamped ,how is it eating,what is its behavior like it could also be septecimia which would require antibiotics theres a site called zebraplecos.com which has a diagnosis of illness chart this might help you also .just make sure you keep the water clean, good luck
    125 gallon male aulonocara peacocks
    125 gallon male haps.
    90 gallon grow out tank
    90 gallon demasoni,cyno,afra,hongi srt.
    90 gallon planted apisto.tank
    2-10 gallon med. quarintine tanks

THE ONLY TIME YOU SHOULD LOOK DOWN ON SOMEONE IS WHEN YOUR HELPING THEM UP !!!!!!

I would consider adding some aquarium salt, maybe 1 teaspoon/20 gallons of water. Catfish are not as sensitive to salt as people are oft led to believe. The Epsom salt may well reduce the inflammation whilst the salt should help kill bacteria if it is indeed an infection. An antibiotic would be better but this with the suggest water changes may be an appropriate budgeted response.
    The photocontest, like everything else is behind schedule. You get some links back today.

I changed the water last weekend, it has a brand new filter. The water use to Hague a tinge of green now it's crystal clean ! I don't believe it's the water I think it may have been sick at the fish shop ;s also no idea on its eating patterns my catfishes don't get fed. The Live off the rocks at the bottom of my tank.. I also don't see them much because they like to live in there ship wreck

So how new is the new filter and is it the only filter on the tank?
    The photocontest, like everything else is behind schedule. You get some links back today.

Quote Originally Posted by Glaive View Post
    So how new is the new filter and is it the only filter on the tank?
    I got it Tuesday, Same day i bought the cat fish. It is the only filter, until I Can get my Canister filter fitted in again.. Been lazy haven't been bothered to put it in!

So the tank isn't cycled?
    Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days.

-Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by colorblizzle View Post
    Got her by the proverbial balls for once lol

The fish has an issue because the cycle is not yet established. You can help the fish out by changing water daily. If you know when the cycle hits the nitrite stage you may be able to add some aquarium salt to prevent the nitrite poisoning,

The fish tank has been cycled, It has been setup for several months, I just replaced the filter with a new one with a uv light and a more adjustable filter..

It has been setup for 3 months. it has 11 other fish. This one is the only one that is having problems.

Did you transfer the filter media?
    If you didn't, it most likely isn't cycled. Get yourself a test kit and post the results.

-Benjamin Franklin

Ill just put the other canister filter in it tomorrow and then it should be fine that one has been running for a few months well I assume it will be fine?

Was the media in the canister wet?

-Benjamin Franklin

I believe it will be still. I only removed it from my other cycled tank last Tuesday haha... And put my old filter in the tank the canister came from

There is a lesson in here... Most of th bacteria in a cycled tank that uses filters will be in the filters and not the tank. Removing said filter(s) can cause a mini cycle or a complete cycle. During such a time your fish will become stressed and much more susceptible to disease.

So next time i should add the new canister filter along side the other one for a few days/weeks and or move some of the filter material to the new filter?