Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just Started an Africian Cichlid Aquarium

Quote Originally Posted by Davidpaul View Post
    Interesting I was reading information to increase the # hours the lights are on.
    I've read that as well; I believe the underlying principle to that approach is that 'real' algae (eg: green algae) will have an easier time of becoming established and thriving (and outcompeting the diatoms) with more lighting; but you don't want green algae blooming out of control either, so don't overdo it if you go that route; either way, regular water changes, good water params, and the diatoms should be temporary. Note that if your tap water contains silicates you will never completely get rid of the diatoms; fortunately they are about the easiest type of 'algae' (though not really algae) to wipe off of surfaces.

It appears the Diatoms has died down quite a bit. I have been seeing my pleco out and about lately so that helped.

I just got 2 more Yellow labs, they are so cute. Still working on adding larger hinding places. I think I will stop on adding any more fish, because once I add mor stones that will reduce the volumn of water in the tank so I think having 12-13 cichilds for around 65 gallons should be a good fit, but time will tell.

I am have been doing weekly 30% to 50% water changes.

The Fish seem to be healthy, the seem to be as active as always. When I have time to watch them it is fun.

My Neice got me some tank decor, that I ended up putting in my 5 gallon tank.

72 Gallon Aquarium Tank size is 39w x 18.75d x 25.5h
    4 - Labidochromis caeruleus (Yellow Labs)
    6 - Pseudotropheus socolofi (Powder Blue Cichlid)
    2 - Placidochromis johnstoni
    2 - Pseudotropheus deep magunga red
    2 - Bristlenose Plecostomus
    2 - 60 pound Holey Rocks
    2 - Baby Cichlids May be Yellow Labs

My Co-worker has some Krebensis that gave birth. She might offer some of the surving youth to me. Should I accept and put in my 75 gallon? Any thoughts?

2 - 60 pound Holey Rocks

I used to have kribensis and I can tell u from experience that they are awesome fish but they don't do we'll with mbuna if you can get ahold of a minimum 20g long tank a pair or a trio would be fine Petco has there $1 per gallon sale going on...just a thought
    10 gallon - pelvicachromis pulcher, cryptocoryne wendtii, rotala indica, anubias nana.

45 gallon - labidochromis caeruleus, iodotropheus sprengarae, bristlenose plecosthumus, paralabidochromis chromogynos piebald.

Quote Originally Posted by colorblizzle View Post
    I used to have kribensis and I can tell u from experience that they are awesome fish but they don't do we'll with mbuna if you can get ahold of a minimum 20g long tank a pair or a trio would be fine Petco has there $1 per gallon sale going on...just a thought
    No Money for another aquarium at this time, plus not sure the wife would allow a third aquarium.

2 - 60 pound Holey Rocks

Snails would end up being food. I had a couple mystery snails that disappeared from their shells a few weeks ago.

Try to stick to the same lake/sp if you can. Kribs are a riverine cichlid that requires more softer acidic water where as Malawi are harder alkaline water. I also think Kribs may be to week by themselves but paired are a danger to anything.
    125g- Labidochromis caerulous, Sciaenochromis fryeri Maleri Island, Protomelas Taeniolatus Male, Cynotilapia Sp. Gallireya Reef (White Top Hara) W/C + F1

40g- Oblique zebras

20g long- ocellatus "gold", calvus "white" Chaitika

I have the same problem in my apartment ur allowed 1 aquarium and it has to he 20g or smaller. I have a 45g and a 29g lol and she told me no more bit now I'm setting up a 10g in our sons room she doesn't want another tank but since he's so excited she can't say no. Got her by the proverbial balls for once lol
    10 gallon - pelvicachromis pulcher, cryptocoryne wendtii, rotala indica, anubias nana.

45 gallon - labidochromis caeruleus, iodotropheus sprengarae, bristlenose plecosthumus, paralabidochromis chromogynos piebald.

Ianr I agree about them being weak alone I had that problem til I got a 2nd one. But I use the same water for them as I do for my malawis and they thrived. And considering me and davidpaul live close to eachother it's probably the same water. PH 7.8 KH 170ppm

Quote Originally Posted by IanR29 View Post
    Snails would end up being food. I had a couple mystery snails that disappeared from their shells a few weeks ago.

Try to stick to the same lake/sp if you can. Kribs are a riverine cichlid that requires more softer acidic water where as Malawi are harder alkaline water. I also think Kribs may be to week by themselves but paired are a danger to anything.
    Thanks that was the same thing my LFS said, but it is nice to get other opinions.

2 - 60 pound Holey Rocks

Got her by the proverbial balls for once lol
    This is now going to be part of my sig.
    Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days.

-Benjamin Franklin

Got her by the proverbial balls for once lol

Lol love it

Quote Originally Posted by Davidpaul View Post
    No Money for another aquarium at this time, plus not sure the wife would allow a third aquarium.
    Been there, done that, own the rights to the T-Shirt

Wanna buy 1

This hobby requires a man/lady to acquire certain talents and skills, those being: Plumber, Psychologist, Diplomat, and last but not least the ability to look her in the eye with a completely straight face and swear the new fish has been in the tank for several months Good luck, hasn't worked at my house yet

Lol!

Lol, don't get me started on that! I'm sure we had a long thread going on here once on ways to get your spouse to agree to another aquarium... but money is an issue, especially since many of those methods involved spending twice what the tank cost on her.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
    Been there, done that, own the rights to the T-Shirt

Wanna buy 1

This hobby requires a man/lady to acquire certain talents and skills, those being: Plumber, Psychologist, Diplomat, and last but not least the ability to look her in the eye with a completely straight face and swear the new fish has been in the tank for several months Good luck, hasn't worked at my house yet
    I vote for a like button for post, LOL.

2 - 60 pound Holey Rocks