Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just Started an Africian Cichlid Aquarium

Take an ammonia reading. If there is any and I mean any ammonia then more than likely the bacteria may have died. When you ran the filters for 2 weeks with no fish in the tank there was no food supply for the bacteria and more than likely died. There should be no ammonia what so ever if the tank is cycled. A basic break down of a cycle if you didn't already know is - with the presence of ammonia a type of bacteria will grow in te filter media that will feed off of the ammonia. The bacteria expels nitrites. With nitrites present (someone jump in and correct me if I'm wrong) another form of bacteria forms eating the nitrites. That bacteria expels nitrates. A healthy tank that is cycled with have 0 ammonia reading and 0 nitrite readings. You want your nitrate readings no higher than 40 I believe. Please excuse me if you knew this already. I don't know your knowledge on cichlids.
    125g- Labidochromis caerulous, Sciaenochromis fryeri Maleri Island, Protomelas Taeniolatus Male, Cynotilapia Sp. Gallireya Reef (White Top Hara) W/C + F1

40g- Oblique zebras

20g long- ocellatus "gold", calvus "white" Chaitika

HOLY CRAP i thought I had a problem with typing too fast and spelling!!! haha

Id like to throw out one more thing. The strips arent as accurate when first trying to set up a tank but they are good if you need a quick check down the road. If you want a much more accurate reading of everything, go out and get a test kit with the glass tubes and drip bottles. If you need to keep tabs on everything, Keep a small pad of paper and write down your results after every test so u can monitor it better if it goes up or down.

Quote Originally Posted by IanR29 View Post
    It would've been ideal to get a full cycle done on the fish tank first. If neede I'm sure we can provide links if someone already hasn't. Personally I think waiting the week isn't enough to let your tank run but even waiting 2 months with no ammonia in the tank is pointless. Make sure ou are doing daily water tests for ammonia to see how your tank is progressing. Have prime on hand and ready to nullify most of the toxins and be ready to do water changes if the ammonia is too much. Basically waiting the month or so to let your tank cycle is so the tank builds enough bacteria in the filters to be able to handle the fish you are about to put it. Fishless cycling is done with pure ammonia to do the cycl

I'm not sure what kind of professional you go to but I know a proffessional aquarium cleaner that does a fantastic job at cleaning the tanks but doesn't know crap about giving advise on how to set up and maintain a tank. Any questions you have feel free to ask here and there are people that are more than qualified to stead you in the right direction.
    Agreed Ian.

Also, Dump the dip strips, they are garbage unless you are changing or exchanging(as is lfs) water on a daily basis.

Gee thank Rather. I do try to type to fast except most of my typing comes from my iPhone.
    125g- Labidochromis caerulous, Sciaenochromis fryeri Maleri Island, Protomelas Taeniolatus Male, Cynotilapia Sp. Gallireya Reef (White Top Hara) W/C + F1

40g- Oblique zebras

Ha im the same way and when I post it, I kick myself in the butt because it looks horrible.. Oh well they get the point right! lol

I think these days in the age of txting we all have just adapted to fixing the grammatical errors in our heads lol

Hey, I am a bad speller myself and use poor grammer myself, so i try not to pick on others.

Would like peoples thought on how many fish to stop at in my 72 gallon?

Also anybody know where I can get some cheap Lava Rocks to add to my tank?

It depends on the dimensions of the tank bud. If its a 4' tank then 3-4 species I think could do ok depending on the species. If its a 3' tall tank then 2-3 again depending on the species. If it was a 75' and you wanted to over stock it you could do between 18-24 fish. Again very depending on which species. Example being you don't want to put a group of Auratus, a group of Kenyi, a group of red zebras and a group of Johannis in there. It would spell disaster. Now if I was a group I yellow labs, rusties, one of the afra subspecies and say soul oak then I think you could get away with it. I personally wouldn't stick that many in there but to each his own.

And I've got plenty of lava rock and cinder rock in my front yard if ya want to come get it lol. Sandstone as well.

40g- Oblique zebras

See if you have a local landscaping company. They should carry it for dirt cheap. Mine has it for 32 cents a pound! But right now they only have thousand pound boulders lol

Quote Originally Posted by IanR29 View Post
    And I've got plenty of lava rock and cinder rock in my front yard if ya want to come get it lol. Sandstone as well.
    I was in Casa Granda,AZ about 2 weeks ago, our timing is just off.

Quote Originally Posted by colorblizzle View Post
    See if you have a local landscaping company. They should carry it for dirt cheap. Mine has it for 32 cents a pound! But right now they only have thousand pound boulders lol
    I noticed in a different discussion the you shop at VIPets, so if that is true you live in the same area I do. What is the name of the landscaping company you got your lava rock from? Not that I want a thousand pound boulder.

72 Gallon Aquarium Tank size is 39w x 18.75d x 25.5h
    4 - Labidochromis caeruleus (Yellow Labs)
    6 - Pseudotropheus socolofi (Powder Blue Cichlid)
    2 - Placidochromis johnstoni
    2 - Pseudotropheus deep magunga red
    2 - Bristlenose Plecostomus
    2 - 60 pound Holey Rocks
    2 - Baby Cichlids May be Yellow Labs

I live up in flagstaff which is the base if a dormant volcano. The stuff is everywhere.

40g- Oblique zebras

Hey David, me and Ian are just screwing with each other... He calls me out on my speed typing and I call him out on his. All in fun!! Your 72.... What are the dimensions and what route do you wanna go for fish?

david, U live in west michigan? The company is called chucks groundcover. Theres 4 vipets in the area but im referring to the one in holland