Thread: Marbled pleco

Default Marbled pleco

HEy guys, just bought a pair of marbled plecos. Had several pictus catfish before but never pl*cos. Kept em in a tank for a couple hours now, and all they do is hang on the glass. I have algae growth on my plants but they seem to ignore them. Since im new with pl*cos their behavior is unfamiliar to me. Anybody have any general info to share about pl*cos?

Check out www.planetcatish.com

All you need to know about most plecos.
    Department of redundancy department

My Pleco keeps the glass spic & span. He ignores the smaller of the fake plants, but I did see him on the larger leafed plants yesterday. I think he's lazy & only eats on a surface where he can rest. Maybe your plecos are like this too.
    Mom to crazyfishspeakerbabies 4/20/11 & 10/26/12 <3

Well they are doing great for now, one is hanging on the glass and one is on a vine. How does one go about feeding these plecos algae wafers? I dropped one in front of mine yesterday but it seems to ignore it.

Depending on what kind of fish you are keeping w/the pl*cos, they should do fine on algae and scraps...if they were really hungry they would eat the spirulina tablets...
    I should use this space to promote the photo contest...but I can't think of anything clever...

(my 2 cents)
    ...at my last fish meeting, we had a guest speaker come in & talk about catfish & plecos....and, he corrected us all in letting us know that plecos should not bee seen as 'scavengers' (nor should the other catfish)...that really, they should be fed as well as the other fish in the tank...and that there are plecos that eat wood...actually EAT it, and if they don't have it they will actually starve.....WOW!
    ....my 2 cents...

HUh....that's interesting jennigypsy, I hadn't heard that before...(about the wood eating fish). Does that species have some kind of special symbiotic bacteria to help it digest the wood? Wood has some hard-core starches in it...

*edit*or maybe its cellulose....I'm not sure...but any way it is hard to digest....
    I should use this space to promote the photo contest...but I can't think of anything clever...

I believe it does...if the beneficial bacteria inside isn't getting 'whatever' from wood, the fish will die...

nifty! a swimming termite....

the plecs actually need a chemical called lignin to order for them to be able to digest their food, they ingest the lignin by chewing on the wood.

or something like that

I do like my plecs

Heres the wood eating genera...info is from planet catfish...
    Panaque sp. (L306)
    Not Described
    (1 of 5, more...) Very, very similar to LDA01. The only difference being this fish has blood red stripes rather than beige to orange ones.

This species belongs to the group of small sized typically wood eating plecos that has been proposed to belong to a new genus, Panaqolus. This new genus was erected in a special Loricariid only spring 2003 issue of the German aquarist magazine DATZ (well known in catfish circles as the birthplace of the l-numbers). For an aquarist, having a mini-Panaque genus to classify many new imports as is most useful in a variety of ways; not least in the quick understanding of diet requirements and facilitation of captive breeding attempts. So, we were understandably quick to adopt this new placement. That said and done, it does not appear that it will gain acceptance among the majority of the scientific community. Late in 2003, we reverted to calling this species Panaque.

Common Names : L306