Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 125 gallon frontosa tank and 36 gallon tang tank help needed.

Default 125 gallon frontosa tank and 36 gallon tang tank help needed.

Hello all, I'm new on this site, I have a 135 gallon African tank. I just purchased a 125 gallon tank. I'm making my own stand because I'm going to put a 36 gallon tank in the bottom of the stand. I want to make the 125 a Frontosa tank. I want to no what if anything I can have in the tank with the fronts? My next question is, what tangs can I house in the 36 gallon tank? I won't be filling the tanks up for a month, but I want to start getting ideas on the best info I can so I set the tanks up just right. I'm open to all suggestions for my tanks. I'd love for the fronts to breed. I know for sure I will be doing led lights. All other suggestions are needed please. Thanks in advance.
    Chris

fronts really do best in a tank by themselves, but the best tank mates for them are large clown loaches or altolamprolongus compressiceps and calvus. just make sure they are at least the same size when you buy them or they might become a snack. what variant of fronts do you plan on getting? let me know if you want me to hook you up with good breeders.
    show me a cichlid that isn't hungry, and i'll show you a cichlid that isn't happy.

Keep the fronts by themselves. Are you looking for juvies or adults? What are the dimensions for the 36 gallon tank?

Thanx for the replies. I'm not sure what fronts I want. I like them all! So how many should I get to stock the tank. I want to start with juvies. The biggest at 4in. My tank is 72x18x23. And what about bristle nose with them? The other tank size is 36x12.5x18.
    Iandraco, I could definitely use info on breeders. All help is welcome here!! Thanx again guys!!

8 adults should max out a 125. so don't go too crazy when buying fry. the pleco should be ok as long as he is big enough not to become a snack. fronts are deep water fish though so they don't get a lot of light in their natural environment so this should be replicated in your aquarium. you probably wont get much algae if you do it right. many front keepers don't use lights at all. just your regular ceiling light works great for them. i'll send you a pm on how to contact breeders.
    show me a cichlid that isn't hungry, and i'll show you a cichlid that isn't happy.

Iandraco: I picked up a frontosa for free, when the local Petsamo found him in a tank and had no clue what he was. Definitely intrigued by this little guy. The more I read on them, the more I am inclined to start a frontosa tank by itself.

Besides the last few comments, are there any other suggestions you have? I have quite some time to get a good setup, this little guy is maybe 2 inches.

And no one around here sells them, or knows anything about them at all. Could you hook me up with some pointers and point me in the direction of some reputable breeders for when I'm ready to set up? Most likely 125, possible 175 G pending on room. Just got a 175 for some dempseys. Gotta get another big one for the oscars I wound up with. So by space, I mean permission from the wife.

Thanx iandraco! I will look into the info you gave me. I may be changing the 36 gallon for a 55. A friend wants to sell her 55 gallon for $25. I can't pass that up!! So I have to change my thinking on this tank. Just don't know what I want to stock it with. Any suggestions??

i wouldn't pass up a 25 dollar 55 either. great score. if you post a pic of the front you picked up i may be able to ID it for you and then i can help you find a breeder of that variant to fill out a group. as for what to put in the 55, your front will be ok in there for a little while. or you could stock it with quite a few things if the front isn't going in there. what do you like would be my first question. there's tons of fish that would go great in there and tons that wont. i personally like to breed fish and tangs are my thing at the moment although i have a couple malawi setups too. tangs command a higher price since they are a little rarer. i also like the different shapes of the different tangs unlike malawis that have tons of great color but have little variation in shape. but if i had another 55 around i would look into a couple endangered or extinct Victorian species also. i've been reading a lot about them and would like to help keep them alive in captivity. in the end it's up to you. post some of your thoughts and i'll try to help with compatibility issues. i'm sure everyone else will be happy to as well.

My son wants the front I have now. So I will just start with new fronts. I notice some fronts are really expensive. So I'll be looking for the least expensive of them. Due to me stocking 2 tanks at once. I'd like to do the 55 gallon with something I don't have. My 135 has a lot of Africans. Lots of colors in it. A tang or vic tank would be just fine! But I don't no much about them. All help is needed for the 55 gallon!! I really appreciate all the help!!

the Zaire variants are pretty pricy. i got a steal of a deal on my mobas for $20 ea and haven't seen them anywhere close since. most of the Tanzanian variants like Bismark and Mpimbwe are much more affordable. usually about $10-12 and Kigoma 7 stripes can be had for about $8. Burundi are the most common but don't buy them in stores because you can really over pay. i know i did. now i'm trying to grow them big enough to get my money back out of them. you can get them from forum members for $5-8. all of these prices are for fry around 1 inch. the bigger they are the more expensive they get. check out the forums i pm ed you. lots of great info to decide what you really want. if you decide to do Victorians Big Jim has several species for sale that are very affordable and most are on the C.A.R.E.S. fish preservation list. as for tangs, a community with a few groups like shell dwellers, neolamprolongus, julidiochromis, and a cyprichromis or pariciprichromis species would look really cool. maybe a calvus or comp thrown in the mix too. lots of possibilities out there. looks like you have a little research to do.

Thanx for all the info you have given me iandraco. You have helped me a lot!! I will go to the site and see what's for sale. Then look them up and try to decide what I want to put in the 55. I will also check the diff fronts to see which I like the best. Getting the 55 today. So ill start building my stand in another week. Dove the tanks I have gotten were used, next week I will clean them and reseal them to ensure no leaks. Yes I have a lot of research to do in the mean time. Thanx again!!

I think I'll go with kigoma fronts. My lfs has those kind. And I think I'll go with tangs for my 55. What would be a good stocking list and how many of each? Thanx in advance.

36 gallon isn't very big, make it a shellie tank and layer the rock upwards in the back and get a few julie's and a few calvus. JMHO. Julie
    WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE <~~~ My Mantra!

PhishNFilly, I'm goin with tangs and I've changed it from 36 gal to 55 gal. What do u suggest to stock it with, and how many of each. Thanx for replying.

55 is much better to work with than a 36 so good news on that. Well I been in this situation and if I would go back to it I would probably try for this.

Nice rock work all along the back. Sand a must, for me anyway. Go with some pairs of Calvus, many different kinds, my favorites were ink spot. Get some Julie's, get about 6 and let them form up and then remove the ones that are sent to the dark side before the dark side actually takes them. You think I am kidding? I AM NOT. Again many kinds of Julie's look at them all since your tank is bigger now. I would actually like to have some shellies off to the left or right and give them some protection with a nice shell bed, they are quirky fish but fun to have, Multi's are nice, steer clear of Meleagris !!!! There are many tangs that I never worked with so check around and see who else chimes in here maybe. I had pictus cats in this tank and they did fine too! Caudopunctatus are nice, I had them and bred them, they are gorgeous but pricy tho, they would work in the mix as well, if you happened to get fry from a pair you can move them to something smaller and breed them as I did. Compresicepts are awesome looking with their jutted jawline, they work well with Calvus too! Go thru the entire TANG forum and check out what people are mixing. I love these fish and they are so nice to look at. Let us know what you decide. Remember Calvus like shells too! Use Whale-eyes or something larger. Julia

START WITH TWO OF EACH WITH CALVUS
    MULTI'S GET 6 AND WEED THEM OUT AFTER THEY FORM A PAIR
    GO WITH TWO'S LIKE NOAH'S ARK.
    WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE <~~~ My Mantra!