Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Parrothead's Victorian Cichlid Adventure

you know, you both can kiss my a........, just kidding guys, I'll do my best over the weekend, and Jim, I will include pics of the babies you sent me

I've got 2 Astatoreochromis alluaudi holding right now and I picked up a 30 a couple days ago to use as a nursery/grow out tank for the ladies and their babies.

Well.......I have NO idea what Astatoreochromis allaudi look like so I must either go back thru this thread or look them up online lol. Congrats Papa on the upcoming event and WTG on the 30!!!!!!!!! It's kewl to raise the fry, I do miss it at times, I wont lie. Now get your shoe ready to throw at me but ....Where's Da Pics Papa of your holding Mama? ::::Thump:::: Jules
    WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE <~~~ My Mantra!

Charging the batteries for the camera. Here's a link to Kevin's site, the mama's are from the batch I got from him.

http://www.african-cichlid.com/Alluaudi.htm

The fish on Kev's site are beautiful. Now I know for a fact that it don't take four or five days to charge camera batteries Robert. So I am beginning to wonder if you are using the old crank method for charging batteries. If so then you must be getting carpal tunnel syndrome by now. Good luck my friend.

Dave

no the batteries are charged, now if someone can point out a simple way to get the 2 preggo's out of their caves in the back of the tank, pics will happen.

Nice alludi so thanks for posting that. I say do a covert mission under dark with a very large net, scoop and run so to speak. Let me know if you need help, I am pretty good with a flashlight @-@. I am very bored these days so a covert mission is just when I need. I will wait for my orders Mr. Phelps. Jules
    WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE <~~~ My Mantra!

Quote Originally Posted by PhishNFilly View Post
    Nice alludi so thanks for posting that. I say do a covert mission under dark with a very large net, scoop and run so to speak. Let me know if you need help, I am pretty good with a flashlight @-@. I am very bored these days so a covert mission is just when I need. I will wait for my orders Mr. Phelps. Jules

Not sure that would work, too much slate in the tank to pull that off, I've actually got to hunt them down with the lights on just to see if they are ok. May have to tear the whole tank apart this weekend to get them out, they've been holding for 2 weeks(1st one) and about a week and a half on the second, got the 30 to keep them in. So I'm actually set there. Before I tear it apart I will get some pics of both tanks up. It's been raining here for the last 2 days and is supposed to continue for the next day and clear up late saturday early sunday, so I've got plenty of time.

Just a quick update, works been slow so the 30 didn't get set-up in time for the babies mentioned above, but they're holding again, and I got lucky on craigslist yesterday, found a lady burnt out on trying to keep her tank clean, she had 50 - 60 convict cichlids in it, ranging from 3/4 to 5+ inches....in a 55 gallon tank, I got the tank, 2 Aqueon 75 power filters, whisper 30-60 air pump, tank, iron stand that will hold 2 tanks, light, a bunch of misc. artificial plastic logs and such, and some other misc. stuff. She was severely burnt out as she gave it all away for free. So now each of my 3 species will have their own digs and I'll have the extra filter for the 30 nursery.

Now I just need to find a home for the convicts...........

Just a quick update, the above mentioned convicts all got a new home, haven't had a chance to get the other 55 set up, trying to sweet talk the wife, not going so well at the moment, but I shall prevail, I think.

I do have 3 Astatotilapia latifasciata holding and 2 Astatoreochromis alluaudi holding as well.

Did lose 1 of my male Astatotilapia latifasciata, but I've still got 2 keeping 1 with each large group of females that I have(1 group in the 75 with the Astatoreochromis and the other in a 55 with the Neochromis).

My group of Neochromis rufocaudalis "Saa Nane Island" have yet to spawn, I truly believe I'm extremely male heavy here as I can positively indentify only 1 female out of the group.

More to come later.

I know it's been a long, long while. But, I've been busy and a bit off course here lately. Noticed something the other day, my wife's kitten who always loves climbing around under the 75, seems to be his favorite play ground, anyway he's been eyeballing the wet/dry trickle filter for about the last week, I mean literally laying in front of the stand and starring, found out why, seems one of zebra obliq. spit some fry that I missed, and this little guy made it through the overflow, drain hose, tray, bio-balls, and managed to avoid the return pump(750 gph). It is now at least an inch long. I don't generally name fish, but I'm going to make an exception this time and name this one "Balboa" for obvious reasons. Now I just need to figure out the easiest way to get him/her out.

I love surprise finds like that! Gives faith in our fishes' resilience. I recall finding a live young Synodontis, about 1", when cleaning a canister filter, under the bottom tray. It to be surviving and slowly growing in that dark dirty environment for a month or more. It's an adult now, years later (can recognize it from the others by a dorsal fin that does not stand fully erect - the only visible side-effect of its early ordeal, and no doubt the result of there being no room for it to extend in that cramped space).

Now that's a tough fish

PS: meant to ask - is that Balboa as in Rocky or as in the great explorer? Could be either in your fish's case I think...

Rocky, only because he put up one heck of a fight to get where he's at and survive.