Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Parrothead's Victorian Cichlid Adventure

Congrats on the tank Robert. How freaking long will we ave to wait for those pics. LOL! Patiently awaiting any updates my friend. Always wishing you the best in everything.

Dave

Ok .........I have been waiting patiently. What the heck is the latest Robert??? Did that guy shaft you hon on the tank and hows the fishies doing? I wanna C sumthing plzzzzzzz. Jules

I SHOULD HAVE SAID......I WANT TO SEE SOMETHING WIGGLING IT'S TAIL! AHEM
    WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE <~~~ My Mantra!

Tank deal is a bust so far, it's a friend of a friend who lives across the street, it's not a big priority to him, but I keep dropping little hints here and there about getting a hold of the guy so I can pick it up etc.......

Have to do a bit of cleaning on the 75 today and will take a few pics after that and get them posted....

I never have a camera around when I need it, I got to see my Pund. Macro's spawn today, really cool to see, they are kinda young still, so I'm not sure how its going to turn out, but I will keep this updated. Also, got an A. Lat. holding in their species tank, so at least this time I know who the baby daddy is, so will keep everything up to date and will get some pics posted soon, Got some issues going on now that is eating a lot of free time up right now.

Robert congrats on your spawn, I am sure you will share pics when you get a break in the busy action happening in your life right now. Miss you, Julie

I will, maybe I can get some up this weekend, I know they are way over due

Congrats Robert. Been waiting for pics on this your journey. Hope all is well with the family as well.

Dave

Sorry about no pics yet, putting out too many fires around the house here lately.

Did some major tank work on both tanks today, with extra love given to the 55 because it's expecting....That's right got some new guys coming in by mid-week thanks to structure guy, I've been wanting these guys for a long time......Here's a link to Kevin's page so you can see what they are......

http://www.african-cichlid.com/Alluaudi.htm

This group will round out and pretty much complete my tanks for now, that is till I run across another good deal on another tank, please don't tell the wife I said that

And I will keep working on finding time for picture taking and sorting out the good ones to post

Beautiful fish, I love Vics. You will catch up to us with pics when time presents itself Robert. Not to worry! Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
    Sorry about no pics yet, putting out too many fires around the house here lately.

And I will keep working on finding time for picture taking and sorting out the good ones to post.
    Since Robert isn't planning on pics for awhile, this is the group I sent him.
    USPS says it should be there by noon on Tuesday

I sent him that biggish male in the center

Kevin

Thanks for the share Kevin. At least somebody post pics on Roberts thread. Just kidding Robert, we know your busy and that my friend is a good thing. But I do have a question to pose to Kevin if I may? On your website you mentioned this particular fish to be lost to the American hobby. Was this because of a lack of interest or the difficulty in breeding in which you obviously have no trouble with them doing, or is it because it is that hard to find good specimens. This fish is gorgeous to say the least and I would have a hard time believing no one would want this in their collection. Another question if i may as well? How does this Vic fair with other Vics in the same tank. I am sure there is always a chance for crossing but in general, do they all get along. I mean seriously, why keep Mbuna if you can have Vics together with all the varied colors and behavior in a big tank. Vics are something I would like to get into at some point when I have the time to devote to them, thusly all that I can learn first hand from those that have them and raise them is of benefit to me.

Dave

I almost went into Vic's but after being in this forum for a few years and seeing all the debate about them I am scared to death to dabble in these gorgeous fish. First off I wouldn't trust any fish store selling them here because of the cross breeding and I would never know for sure what I really got. Even my one trusted store gives me pause because it is changing this past year, to many people trading in for store credit and sold to us as "the real thing" and they turn out to be hybrids after all. Kevin when you are ready to sell a few that would get along in a community setting let me know, I have a tank sitting here screaming for something. Robert when you get some fry and grow them out perhaps you could pass a few on to me as well. The only other person here at the forum is Big Jim isn't he a Vic guy too? Jules

Quote Originally Posted by baytherman View Post
    But I do have a question to pose to Kevin if I may? On your website you mentioned this particular fish to be lost to the American hobby. Was this because of a lack of interest or the difficulty in breeding in which you obviously have no trouble with them doing, or is it because it is that hard to find good specimens. This fish is gorgeous to say the least and I would have a hard time believing no one would want this in their collection. Another question if i may as well? How does this Vic fair with other Vics in the same tank. I am sure there is always a chance for crossing but in general, do they all get along. I mean seriously, why keep Mbuna if you can have Vics together with all the varied colors and behavior in a big tank.
    Astatoreochromis alluaudi was a fish I admired only through pictures for over ten years but could never find. Many years ago a few people in Canada had some, but I could never find any in the US. Twice I bought some from two different reputable breeders and both times they turned out to be Astatotilapia Calliptera. So when the shipment from Germany happened 2.5 years ago, this is the one and only fish I signed up for.

We call it a Victorian but it is really a riverine in the Victorian basin. I still have 1M:3F from Germany and the male is almost 7” and the females are all around 4”. It’s an unusual Victorian since it is very shy and not very aggressive at all except for male on male chasing and nipping. It doesn’t dart all over the tank like mbuna and most Victorians. But the dominant male shows full coloration all the time. I’ve had a tough time finding good tank-mates.

Fish popularity certainly comes and goes and I have no idea why some disappear. With Vics, lack of knowledge can often lead to lack of marketability. I tried to generate local interest but got real tired of selling a bag of vics for a $1 mercy bid at the club auctions.

Quote Originally Posted by PhishNFilly View Post
    First off I wouldn't trust any fish store selling them here because of the cross breeding and I would never know for sure what I really got.
    There are very few possibly pure Victorians sold at any LFS. Even Aquabid has a much higher probability of getting some nice Victorians. If you see something on Aquabid that appeals to you, just post here for an opinion.

Dave and Julia, Thank you for the excellent questions, I wish we could get more people working with these guys. I really do.

Kevin, Thank you for the picture and most awesome answer.

I did read over the weekend, and can't remember right now which forum I read it on, but the biggest problems I think involving Victorian Cichlids is, as Kevin said, "Lack of education" secondly and maybe more important is you cannot get wild stock from this particular lake here in the U.S., maybe other countries can and I hope Kevin will clarify that if it's available. I have really gotten into these guys, and thanks to Kevin I have rounded out my 2 tanks for the time being, depends on behavior, these incoming guys will have priority in the 55, I've wanted them for so long. Thanks Kevin.

But as he said, if you want to jump in, check with us first, I'm learning everyday and I'm sure every Vic keeper is doing the same.

Will do sir. Good luck!

Dave