Thread: Haplochromis sp. 35 "tomato"

Default Haplochromis sp. 35 "tomato"

Hello all, been a long time since I've been on the forums but it's been a long time since I've had any questions. Rocked the mbunas for quite some time and did quite well now I've switched gears into Vic's.

I started with Haplochromis sp. "blue bar" hippo points and it went well. Treated hem just like Mbuna and had a holding female within 2 weeks. Now I have 19 fry growing out and I've since moved on to the tomatoes. Having a bit more of an issue getting them to bred however...

Started with a pit that I got from a buddy for free, knew this wouldn't do well so I searched and found 2 females from a reputable source and had 1m/3f. The 2 newer females were adults and my male hadn't even colored up yet. He since then has colored up and all of a sudden overnight he's extremely dominant and one of the adult females got all her fins ripped to shredds and an open sore near her Gil. I setup a hospital but by the time I returned from the store with salt (which I couldn't believe I ever ran out of) she was dead. The tank is once again peaceful but no idea how or why that all went down. It is a species tank. Specs are as follows:

62g fatback hex
    Fluorescent lighting
    API hydro-pro IV (x2)
    200w in heat
    White sand
    Homey rock
    Anubis var "nana"
    Tank is kept at a steady 78 degrees

Tank is fed NLS Thera-A daily except once a week brine shrimp and no feedings on WC days which is 40% twice a week (tues & fri)

Open to any and all comments or questions. Haven't been on a forum in a while but I remember the pecking order. And how people like to tear people apart but all in good fun. Great to be back!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418265311.675115.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	23757
    10 gallon - pelvicachromis pulcher, cryptocoryne wendtii, rotala indica, anubias nana.

45 gallon - labidochromis caeruleus, iodotropheus sprengarae, bristlenose plecosthumus, paralabidochromis chromogynos piebald.

I was breeding Tomatoes for awhile. I found it best if you have 2-3 males and a larger group of females. The males will chase each other but won't really cause any harm and they in turn lay off the females. They were very prolific and I have a few tanks of fry still floating around.

Andy

I haven't had any luck locally finding adult males. Only indexed juvies. I'll keep my eyes open tho
    10 gallon - pelvicachromis pulcher, cryptocoryne wendtii, rotala indica, anubias nana.

45 gallon - labidochromis caeruleus, iodotropheus sprengarae, bristlenose plecosthumus, paralabidochromis chromogynos piebald.