Thread: Snowball pleco ???

Smile Snowball pleco ???

I recently got a PLECO with a store credit. When I purchased this pleco, I tried to describe what I wanted and he showed me this little cutie and it's exactly what I had in mind. I forgot to actually ask what the heck the name of this pleco is tho???????? I am almost certain it's a snowball pleco, 98% sure anyway. If anybody has any other idea please chime in for me. I did look at Tony T's pleco and it's not a sunshine pleco for sure. Below is a vid I took of him, finally the little stinker came out of hiding. I have the fish with my Discus and a few petricola. NO my tank isn't cracked in the vid, it's just calcium and this tank is a bare bottom until my discus grow out more. SABRINA you know plec's, maybe you can give me a diffinite if you see this thread. Thanks for looking. Jules

♥♥"A stunted discus is like an ugly baby. You think yours is beautiful until someone has the nerve to say "Damn! That's an ugly baby"♥♥

♥♥Only trust someone who can see these three things in you:
    The sorrow behind your smile,
    The love behind your anger, and
    The reason behind your silence.♥♥

WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE <~~~ My Mantra!

I would call up to the store and ask as there are many pleco varieties with white spots. It DOES look like a Snowball, but if they can give you the L number you'll know for sure!

Twistie I am going to call him tomorrow and see if he remembers which fish he sold me, it's been a week or so tho. Maybe he still has some. If the darn store wasn't so far away I would just hop up and see for myself. I absolutely love this plec tho, I would love a striped one, don't know the name of it but it would look cool with the snowball circle one. Thanks for responding! Jules
    Last edited by PhishNFilly; 05-09-2012 at 06:30 PM.
    ♥♥"A stunted discus is like an ugly baby. You think yours is beautiful until someone has the nerve to say "Damn! That's an ugly baby"♥♥

GOOD HEAVENS!!!!!!!!!! TAKE A PEEK AT THIS PAGE FROM PLANET CATFISH. THERE ARE INDEED MANY SNOWBALL TYPE PLECOS. MINE IS BLACK NOT BROWN BUT.......IT'S A BABY THAT COULD CHANGE, I HOPE NOT. J

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog...?species_id=31

If you are looking for a zebra pleco, they are still pretty expensive, but I hope in time the price drops as they are breedable in captivity. My daughter has an L-201 supposedly, but there are a lot of yellow spotted plecos too LOL. Join planetcatfish forum and post on the ID section. Those guys are great at IDing plecos. Make your title something like... ID needed, white spotted pleco. The more descriptive the title, the more likely the right people will look at the post. Get some good still photos of him, try to get mouth and head shots if possible as well as the full body shots.
    SabrinaD
    75 gallon
    C. Afra "cobue", Labidochromis chisumulae, M. joanjohnsonae,
    65 gallon
    Ps. acei, Ps.cyaneorhabdos, I. spengerae
    46 Bow front
    Ps. saulosi, Labidochromis chisumulae

KAREN good grief!!!!!!! I looked at a Zebra Pleco and it was ONLY $400.00 hardy har har. Nix that idea right this minute lol but what a beauty, what a beauty this fish is. Look at it and weep along with me lol. I did join that forum and I did make a thread in the ID section early this evening. I will see if anybody responds. I will call up my fish guy and ask him what he sold me tho if he remembers. Keep in touch, your missed kiddo. Jules

Put it on PlanetCatfish. I see that the one guy suggested a genus... try this one...http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog...species_id=204
    SabrinaD
    75 gallon
    C. Afra "cobue", Labidochromis chisumulae, M. joanjohnsonae,
    65 gallon
    Ps. acei, Ps.cyaneorhabdos, I. spengerae
    46 Bow front
    Ps. saulosi, Labidochromis chisumulae

That's the problem with spotted plecos-there are many many types. If he doesn't remember, ask him to look at his invoices, usually most live stock orders to retailers are itemized, so there's a chance he can at least narrow it down if he doesn't remember. I hate to say it, but at our store we would get so many in, whenever we added a new pleco of any kind to a tank, the L number was the first thing we wrote down because we could always look up the common name based on that.

Oh, and a Adonis pleco is one where the white spots disappear, get about 10" long. True snowballs, the spots stay, and they don't get nearly so big.

Actually, the adonis gets over three foot. The regular snowball I think is L-142, and it gets 10 inches. It's not a juvie adonis, though, no lyretail.

Cute little bugger for now, though. If it's a true snowball, they are primarily an aufwuchs eater, but they also need some meat and soft wood. Looks to have been aquarium bred.
    Happiness may be the door to Heaven,
    But Pleasure is not the Key.

What ever he is, he certainly is beautiful. what did he cost you J?

Dave

He is cute and thanks for all the nice responses. I got him/her for twenty dollars. I don't know if he gave me a deal but I just gave him a bus load of tanganyika's and got a nice store credit for those. I pray he can remember what he sold me, if I have time I will pop up there tomorrow if I get my grass and outside chores done. It it rains then I will most deffinately go back and see just what I have here! I need to find out his/her L number as Twistie said above, I dunno if that is possibly tho but I will ask. I would love to have another actually. Darrell he does have soft wood in that tank and he's with Discus so he gets protein bigtime. Lord have merci if that is an adonis LOLOL, I will croak if my pleco got that big LOLOL. Only adonis I know wears a crown and a fur ornate robe! LOL sire. J