Thread: online cichlid retailer info

Default online cichlid retailer info

hey guys just looking around at a few online livestock vendors, since i cant seem to find any breeders around me or anything good in my LFS. I found 2 that seem decent, not gonna name them i just what you guys to tell me stories good or bad of your experiences with online retailers, whos great , or good and whos bad and who to totaly avoid. thanks
    90 Gal Mbuna
    In the making

20 Gal Community
    2x Angel
    1x Blue Gourimi
    1x Platinum Gourimi
    2x Dwarf Gourimi
    2X Honey Gourimi
    1x Golddust Mollie
    1x White Skirt Tetra
    2x Buenos Aries Tetra

Depending on your karma, spirit dwelling in inner being. Will determine eternity unless you intervene !

I've really only dealt directly and indirectly with three different online places. I dealt with Dave's Rare Aquarium Fish in TX directly - Dave has one of THE best reputations in the cichlid community for service, quality, and passion for cichlids. The second place I've dealt with (indirectly) is Reserve Stock Cichlids in NY - someone else ordered the fish for me, but the quality of the stock was great, I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again. The last place isn't a specific vendor - Aquabid.com - it's like an aquatic eBay. So far, the results I've had on there have been good - just ask be sure to keep an eye on the seller's feedback, and maybe talk with them a few times prior to buying to see if they seem honest and trustworthy.
    Need to upload a cichlid photo? Check out the Cichlid Gallery, it is free and easy to use.
    Best of all, you don't have to leave this forum to access it!

Cichlid Gallery - Fin Rot Treatment - What Did You Do Today? - What Spawned For You Today?

Hacked Nikon D5100 (x2) | Nikon 60mm f/2.8G | Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 OS | Tokina 12-24 f/4 | Yongnuo YN-560II | Yongnuo RF-603 N3 | BrianStalterPhotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by why_spyder View Post
    I've really only dealt directly and indirectly with three different online places. I dealt with Dave's Rare Aquarium Fish in TX directly - Dave has one of THE best reputations in the cichlid community for service, quality, and passion for cichlids. The second place I've dealt with (indirectly) is Reserve Stock Cichlids in NY - someone else ordered the fish for me, but the quality of the stock was great, I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again. The last place isn't a specific vendor - Aquabid.com - it's like an aquatic eBay. So far, the results I've had on there have been good - just ask be sure to keep an eye on the seller's feedback, and maybe talk with them a few times prior to buying to see if they seem honest and trustworthy.
    +1 on all above recommendations, I recently bought some excellent quality Electric Blue Jack Dempsey from a seller on AquaBid, like you, the quality I located in LFS was horrible and the starting price was about $28-$30 each for about 1.5-2 inch. The fish arrived in perfect condition, no DOA, and excellent quality too. Hope this helps!

4. Default

I've used Dave's Rare Aquarium fish before and I was sooooooooo happy as I'm very diffucult to please when it comes to quality. I'm considering to do an order with Live fish Direct also, as I'd like to outsource some new genetics for my colonies. I've heard good things about there fish from people who have actually ordered from them.

5. Default

Reserve stock is also a good source as a friend of mine ordered from them. Being in Canada, I'm interested in trying out Quebec Cichlids sometime down the road.

Dave's Rare is fantastic all the way around.
    180gal All-Male: A. Gertrudae, A. Lundu, A. Lwanda, A. Maylandi, A. Jacobfreibergi Mamela, A. Rubescens, A. Ngara, A. Maisoni, A. Blue Neon "Undu Reef", Proto. Steveni Taiwan Reef, A. Benga, Mylochromis Ericotaenia, Placid. Phenochilus Tanzania, Otopharynx Lithobates, Proto. Steveni Imperial, Protomelas Johnstoni, Rhampochromis Longiceps, L. Caeruleus, Paretroplus Maculatus
    75gal: Cyno Afra "Jalo Reef", Ps. Williamsi North
    40B: Metriaclima Elongatus Usisya Mara Rocks

Default Livefishdirect.com has been great...

I have had great experiences with Josh at Livefishdirect. They have very healthy fish as the water that they use is fed constantly from a geothermal spring. I live in Puyallup, Washington and they are the biggest Cichlid dealer this side of the United States ( they are in Utah ). Definitly check them out...
    200g Mixed African and Clown Loaches
    55g Victorian (Sp44, Obliquiden Zebra, and X-mas Fulus)
    55g River tank (with 5 Hillstream loaches)
    30g Breeder/Fry (with 3 Albino Bushynose Plecos)
    10g Hospital (with 3 guppies to keep cycled)

I found Bluegrass Aquatics, there store is local for me ( well 30min drive or so ) they ship from florida tho ... any one ever delt with them ??
    90 Gal Mbuna
    In the making

20 Gal Community
    2x Angel
    1x Blue Gourimi
    1x Platinum Gourimi
    2x Dwarf Gourimi
    2X Honey Gourimi
    1x Golddust Mollie
    1x White Skirt Tetra
    2x Buenos Aries Tetra

Depending on your karma, spirit dwelling in inner being. Will determine eternity unless you intervene !

I have. I got my Lab. chisumulae from them and another species. I ended up having to get rid of the other one due to incompatibility, but the fish were great quality and healthy.
    SabrinaD
    75 gallon
    C. Afra "cobue", Labidochromis chisumulae, M. joanjohnsonae,
    65 gallon
    Ps. acei, Ps.cyaneorhabdos, I. spengerae
    46 Bow front
    Ps. saulosi, Labidochromis chisumulae

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mbunajuggla View Post
    I found Bluegrass Aquatics, there store is local for me ( well 30min drive or so ) they ship from florida tho ... any one ever delt with them ??
    I would kill to be so close to an operation like that. Take a drive down and hand pick your stock! Your soooooo lucky.