Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: WATER CHANGES ARE CRITICAL

Ouch, I did not know that. Many thanks for the tip.

For those who don't like carrying tons and tons of buckets of water back and forth but are afraid to run tap water straight into the tank: you might wanna try my method. Someone else had mentioned running the python to a bucket and letting the bucket spill into the tank with dechlorinator mixed into the bucket. My method is pretty similar.

I use a 5 gallon bucket, two hoses and a powerhead. I attach a hose to a powerhead and put it in the bucket. I attach a hose to the faucet and run it to the bucket. Once the bucket is nearly full I add some Prime and turn on the powerhead. The hose from the powerhead shoots water right into the tank. The water from the faucet is slightly slower than the flow from the powerhead to the tank so the bucket empties very slowly while the tank fills quickly. I add the Prime to the bucket every few minutes in small portions until I have added the correct amount of prime. You can put an airtube on the powerhead too to aerate the water and help evaporate the chlorine quickly.

It's still slightly inconvenient making sure the hoses stay in place but it's way better than using the bucket.
    Last edited by ricklid; 03-07-2013 at 03:56 AM.

water change is good for fish. regular and short period of water changeing is not good for fish...

Quote Originally Posted by sillysnapz View Post
    water change is good for fish. regular and short period of water changeing is not good for fish...
    Can you explain your comment? How is a pratice of regular water changes not good for fish? I do not understand your comment of "regular and short period of water changing is not good for fish..."

72 Gallon Aquarium Tank size is 39w x 18.75d x 25.5h
    4 - Labidochromis caeruleus (Yellow Labs)
    6 - Pseudotropheus socolofi (Powder Blue Cichlid)
    2 - Placidochromis johnstoni
    2 - Pseudotropheus deep magunga red
    2 - Bristlenose Plecostomus
    2 - 60 pound Holey Rocks
    2 - Baby Cichlids May be Yellow Labs

Do you use water directly from the tap? I have been letting tap water stand in a bucket for a few days before doing my changes, 10%, on a community tank and heating it before adding it. I just started a 75 gallon and will be stocking it with African Cichlids. I could easily do 10% but more than that would be a big deal unless I could use tap water. All comments and advice will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Cagey View Post
    Do you use water directly from the tap? I have been letting tap water stand in a bucket for a few days before doing my changes, 10%, on a community tank and heating it before adding it. I just started a 75 gallon and will be stocking it with African Cichlids. I could easily do 10% but more than that would be a big deal unless I could use tap water. All comments and advice will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Ken

Yes,

I do my water changes right from the tap. I just add a dechlorinator and make sure to match ph and temp. I have tanks with high ph (which I add baking soda and Epsom salts) and low ph which I add nothing. My tap water is neutral and soft. You should know the water parameters of your tap.

7. Default

I have to carry buckets because my sink is a sprayer and its about 50 ft to the sink. The 50ft water changers or pythons are 100 dollars. I'll save my money and do the backbreaking work or even try to diy one that loooong.

Is there a diagnosis for aquarium addiction?
    Using Tapatalk

We have hard water, no softener and I don't do any of that stuff mentioned about baking soda, etc and my tank seems healthy.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk